Collecting passports for duration of cruise.

davencl

Just received an email from Oceania.  They will be collecting all passports upon embarkation and not returning until we debark at the end of cruise.  Apparently a need from Aruba authorities.  They suggest photocopying our passports and any other documents that may be needed at ports of call.   Anyone have advice what other documents we should have available.  This is for a 10 day southern Caribbean cruise on the Sirena sailing Mar. 10 next week.

Hmmm. I’m embarking Aruba on 20 march and sailing to Lisbon. No word yet on confiscation of passports…..

Anyway, I wouldn’t worry. Yes, take physical and digital copies of ID (passport, drivers license, other) and vax card (why not!). I’ve been on several EU river cruises where that was the norm…..

• Like 1

On our recent SE Asia cruise, passports were collected on embarkation.  For one port in the middle of the cruise, passports were needed and were redistributed and then recollected when we returned.  We got them back at disembarkation. 

Thanks for all the helpful replies.  This is a cruise that starts in Aruba and ends in Aruba.  That's the reason they are collecting passports at embarkation since they're needed at disembarkation.  Makes the process easier.

18 hours ago, PhD-iva said:

I’m embarking Aruba on 20 march and sailing to Lisbon.

Just FYI so you don't fly to the wrong departure island.  The March 20 Sirena crossing to Lisbon departs from Oranjestad located on Curaçao, not Aruba.  😎

Edited by DrHemlock
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, DrHemlock said:

Just FYI so you don't fly to the wrong departure island.  The March 20 Sirena crossing to Lisbon departs from Oranjestad located on Curaçao, not Aruba.  😎

Your better tell that to Oceania:

Itinerary  = Anchor Port

DAY PORT ARRIVE DEPART
Mar 20 Mon Oranjestad, Aruba Embark 1 PM 9 PM
Mar 21 Tue Willemstad, Curacao 6 AM 1 PM
Mar 22 Wed St. George's, Grenada 2 PM 9 PM
Mar 23 Thu Bridgetown, Barbados 9 AM 5 PM
Mar 24 Fri Cruising the Atlantic Ocean    
Mar 25 Sat Cruising the Atlantic Ocean    
Mar 26 Sun Cruising the Atlantic Ocean    
Mar 27 Mon Cruising the Atlantic Ocean    
Mar 28 Tue Cruising the Atlantic Ocean    
Mar 29 Wed Cruising the Atlantic Ocean    
Mar 30 Thu Santa Cruz de Tenerife, Spain 9 AM 11 PM
Mar 31 Fri Santa Cruz de La Palma, Spain 8 AM 4 PM
Apr 1 Sat Funchal (Madeira), Portugal 9 AM 6 PM
Apr 2 Sun Cruising the Atlantic Ocean    
Apr 3 Mon Lisbon, Portugal Disembark 8 AM

Also from the Oceania Web site:

"Distinguished by its colorful Dutch colonial architecture, Oranjestad is the capital of Aruba, first settled in 1796. Named as a tribute to the Dutch king William of Orange, the city today attracts tourists searching for duty-free bargains and strolling around the beautiful streets."

Edited by 1985rz1

1 hour ago, DrHemlock said:

Really ??

When did they move the town?

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, LHT28 said:

Really ??

When did they move the town?

They didn't, as was already corrected by 1985rx1 above for which thanks were expressed.  Clearly, it was Willemstad (the other major Caribbean "--stad" town) lurking and asserting itself in what remains of my brain.  Mea culpa!

Also, may I add, send an e-mail to yourself of the photographed documents. That will enable you to always have access and provide a source of retrieval from any computer without having your phone.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, mozfoz said:

Also, may I add, send an e-mail to yourself of the photographed documents. That will enable you to always have access and provide a source of retrieval from any computer without having your phone.

Okay, if we’re going that far down the rabbit hole, can I suggest you compose, but not send an email to yourself.  Leave it in your drafts folder.

Why?  Well, who really knows how many jumps a sent email takes between you and whoever.  Leaving it in your drafts folder keeps those sensitive documents available to you, but doesn’t pass them through anyone else fingers.  

As a rule I don’t pass my identification around via email or otherwise unless absolutes necessary. 

21 minutes ago, jondfk said:

Okay, if we’re going that far down the rabbit hole, can I suggest you compose, but not send an email to yourself.  Leave it in your drafts folder.

Why?  Well, who really knows how many jumps a sent email takes between you and whoever.  Leaving it in your drafts folder keeps those sensitive documents available to you, but doesn’t pass them through anyone else fingers.  

As a rule I don’t pass my identification around via email or otherwise unless absolutes necessary. 

I take images of important documents and store them in my notes on my phone.  This way lack of services or wifi is irrelevant.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, shepherd really said:

I take images of important documents and store them in my notes on my phone.  This way lack of services or wifi is irrelevant.  

And if your phone is is lost or stolen?  The point being is to keep your documents accessible without relying  on a hard copy or your phone. A computer at an embassy, maybe a police station, will enable you retrieve vital information in an emergency. Delete them upon return from you trip.

4 minutes ago, mozfoz said:

And if your phone is is lost or stolen?  The point being is to keep your documents accessible without relying  on a hard copy or your phone. A computer at an embassy, maybe a police station, will enable you retrieve vital information in an emergency. Delete them upon return from you trip.

What if what if what if.  You can play that game all day.  This works for me, you do what works for you.   

31 minutes ago, shepherd really said:

What if what if what if.  You can play that game all day.  This works for me, you do what works for you.   

You are correct. I was not playing a game.You win. I was just trying to advise on ways that may be helpful in case of an emergency.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, mozfoz said:

Thank you for your helpful suggestion.  Very good idea.