THERE IS A PROBLEM IN THE YACHT CLUB

morpheusofthesea

6 hours ago, JAGR said:

In the case of an officer's family, they typically have rooms in the YC area already, so for them it's okay.  On every MSC YC sailing we have been on, we have met family of officers (some who were sailing on duty and some who were on leave or vacation).  I have no problem with that.

You are correct. There is no problem when they reside in a cabin within the Yacht Club. And I will go so far to say that no problem exists (or is noticeable) when the YC is not full. But with the return of cruising and all the upgrading offers, the YC is full most every sailing and to add another 44 friends and family residing outside the YC into the YC, inconveniences develop. Longer dinner service, lack of available tables on the pool deck, missing seafood extravaganza due to overflow crowds, missing shows in theatre due to slower dinner service, chair hogged pergolas (14). 

• Like 2

On 3/2/2023 at 2:09 PM, thistimeplease said:

I disagree.  The crew work very hard long days and if one benefit is that a family member is allowed to use the Yacht Club I see nothing wrong with that, especially since it is probably up to the discretion of the Hotel Director.  I do agree that Yacht Club families sneaking others into the Yacht Club is entirely wrong.

Another one of “those people” heard from. 
SMH

• Haha 1

On 3/3/2023 at 7:56 AM, morpheusofthesea said:

Yes. Now take a look at this scenario I posted above.

This group of 12-14, with 2 cabins in the Yacht Club and the rest outside the YC. They are told that only those residing in the YC can dine in the YC. They become indignant, make a 'scene', suggest bias, threaten to go higher up. A full paying YC guest enters the YC restaurant at their dinner time to find their waiters now have to cater to 10 more at the same time and there goes one's hopes of getting to the show on time that evening. AND one gets to the One Pool Deck and there are no more non smoking tables available, and the only lounges available are near this group because everyone else keeps themselves at arm's length. And then there are 10 more in front of the line at the seafood extravaganza. It is on these occasions that the YC Director is nowhere to be found.

YC Director needs to grow a pair. 

19 hours ago, odyssyus said:

Perhaps if looking for exclusivity, a better choice may be Seabourne, or maybe Ritz Carlton Yacht Collection, vs the low-cost, mass-market cruise line where you have to rub elbows with the unwashed masses.  

Oh that’s just plain silly. 

SMH

The "democracy thing" being introduced here is beginning to annoy me.  What's being discussed here is 180 degrees from populism. 

"Exclusivity" is used by MSC to market and differentiate YC.  They charge a premium for it and people pay that premium to experience it. Those who haven't paid that premium shouldn't dilute or diminish the experience for those that have.  That's what's being discussed here. It's not gray - it's very black and white.  

If some here think the two class system that some cruise lines have in place is undemocratic or unfair, bully.  That's a different discussion.    

From what we know from what's been posted, onboard staff have used their positions to allow YC access to people who haven't paid for it. And on sailings where YC was already at capacity with paying passengers.   And in @morpheusofthesea's case, it affected their experience.  I'm sorry, that's just totally wrong.  What we don't know is if it's sanctioned by MSC corporate.  I'm guessing it's not; at least not to the degree shared here.

A vlogger on a MSC Seaview cruise to the Mediterranean that wasn't in YC had a pretty horrible MDR interaction with the staff their.  As a make good, his party of 3 was offered dinner in the YC for one night.  To me, that seems like a reasonable and non-intrusive use of extending access to the YC to non-YC guests.  

Letting a large party with multiple cabins but only two in YC have full time access for 7 days to all the YC features on a sold out sailing shows no regard for those who paid a lot more money for MSC's promised "exclusivity."

If this is the new normal, I'll stop booking YC.  And if I'm going to sail in "standard class" it won't be with MSC.  Hopefully this will get the attention of MSC corporate and policies will either be changed or tightened to control how onboard staff manage YC access. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

41 minutes ago, B_A_H said:

@morpheusofthesea's case, it affected their experience.

Not to the point of never cruising in the Yacht Club. It is still the best vacation we have found. The Yacht Club guests are the finest,most caring, considerate, friendly, courteous group of people from all over the world. A pleasure to 'rub elbows' and smiles with. Then there are those that just do not belong and one discovers 'things'.

• Like 3

On 3/1/2023 at 9:19 AM, morpheusofthesea said:

It is a very 'delicate' even 'risky' situation for the YC Director. Notice that there is a new one. Instead of a promotion for a job well done, a lateral roll off the ship. Coincidence?

The YC Director on a No America ship this week is more interested in ‘mingling’ with the single female guests than solving any problems. I plan on writing an entire thread, however my attempts to meet with him have been put off and it’s been excuse after excuse. So agreed with the member whom I quoted that’s exactly what’s going on, it’s a Shell game at the Director level, however the staff and crew are just beyond amazing and will go to the ends of the earth for us. 

Problems aren’t being solved by this young man, rather the deflection of your attention technique and all is well happy smiles takes the place of real action. I’ve seen this directly this week in a big way as well.  This week the YC was packed. Well above and beyond that of YC capacity. There are clearly also those that come in unchallenged and the crew chooses not to engage them, in my opinion out of fear of being reprimanded, so they look the other way. Another epic failure of the Director level of leadership on board. I’m convinced this is the failure point for most of MSC’s issues with the on board product. That’s a cultural problem, and a serious organizational health issues, which is not at all easily or quickly  corrected. 

Edited by BoundForSea
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, B_A_H said:

....A vlogger on a MSC Seaview cruise to the Mediterranean that wasn't in YC had a pretty horrible MDR interaction with the staff their.  As a make good, his party of 3 was offered dinner in the YC for one night.  To me, that seems like a reasonable and non-intrusive use of extending access to the YC to non-YC guests.... 

That doesn't seem reasonable to me. The specialty restaurants should be used for cases where they feel a need to 'make good'!

In your own words:

"Exclusivity" is used by MSC to market and differentiate YC.  They charge a premium for it and people pay that premium to experience it.....'

• Like 10

On 3/1/2023 at 11:59 AM, phissy said:

On Meraviglia, we had people in our reserved RS cabana on more than 1 occasion.

First time, they were nice .they thought it was first come first serve- although sign did say RESERVED.  They vacated without issue.

Second time-
I Politely asked them to leave and received a litany of foul language.

REALLY?  
I guess they thought they would double down and get me to back off.  YC Director, Mr. Robbie was happy to deal with them. Turns out they were not even YC guests.

Could 'some' of these 'friends and family' be actually 'members of "the family" ? ( a side of nose touch).

Edited by morpheusofthesea

When I hear they are allowing YC access to non YC pax I’m reminded of @mscdivina2016who paid and booked YC but was moved to a room on deck 8 but his reservation still said his experience was YC. 

Could this be happening more and more and that’s where SOME of these “access” pax are coming from?

21 minutes ago, jules815 said:

I look forward to hearing all about your next cruise. Is it Seascape you're on again?

On "styles27" recommendation about overcrowded, less 'mature' audiences attendance and March being Spring Break we have changed this date to HAL Nieuw Amsterdam. We will hope to be back in April on the Seascape.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, styles27 said:

When I hear they are allowing YC access to non YC pax I’m reminded of @mscdivina2016who paid and booked YC but was moved to a room on deck 8 but his reservation still said his experience was YC. 

Could this be happening more and more and that’s where SOME of these “access” pax are coming from?

Wishful thinking. I believe his trouble began, on that one particular cruise that he booked in advance of finding out at a later date that it was chartered. He was offered a refund which he did not accept which led to subsequent problems. The charter company wanted his cabin in the YC.

I have heard since his fiasco that MSC will no longer charter their ships. 'Heard' there was too much destruction of the ship by the charter group. They would have been better off with mscdivina2016 traveling by himself on that cruise and putting him in both owners suites.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, morpheusofthesea said:

I have heard since his fiasco that MSC will no longer charter their ships. 'Heard' there was too much destruction of the ship by the charter group. They would have been better off with mscdivina2016 traveling by himself on that cruise and putting him in both owners suites.

There was a recent full charter for a Rock Music group on the Divina on Feb 6, 2023.  According to people who were on the next cruise after that, the ship was trashed, and the crew told them about drunks passed out on the pool deck, rubbish was thrown all over, and that their liquor supplies were pretty much emptied. It took the crew quite a while to clean up. The passengers for the next sailing were delayed at embarkation because of this.

Seems like MSC didn't learn. I feel very sorry for their crew. Reading the recent Divina reviews, it is obvious things are not going well lately.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Not liking the continued examples of the YC not being the YC we sailed so many B2B's on.  I guess without Roy, Vishnu, etc. (wow were we SPOILED)  the butler staff is newer and younger and a bit shy on enforcement or possibly intimidated by management.  

If such continues to be reported, we're not going on the next two.

Could someone start a thread "Monitoring the Yacht Club Experience - 2023" where those on the upcoming cruises can keep us all up to date on 'what's up?  I don't stay enough on CC to Author such.  Maybe @JAGR could give it a go?  😉

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, At Sea At Peace said:

Could someone start a thread "Monitoring the Yacht Club Experience - 2023" where those on the upcoming cruises can keep us all up to date on 'what's up?  I don't stay enough on CC to Author such.  Maybe @JAGR could give it a go? 

I second the motion. Let's 'chip in' and put him on board permanently (in the YC, of course) with plenty of Champaign ( I can't afford Champagne).

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, At Sea At Peace said:

....Could someone start a thread "Monitoring the Yacht Club Experience - 2023" where those on the upcoming cruises can keep us all up to date on 'what's up?  I don't stay enough on CC to Author such.  Maybe @JAGR could give it a go?  😉

On one condition....if, as seems on this thread, this is about US based ships then please make that clear in the title....and, please not in bold as we don't require to be shouted at! 😁

• Like 1

On 3/1/2023 at 5:52 PM, morpheusofthesea said:

Yes, it is a shame. But to be expected on a mass market ship. Just be aware that the person next to you might not belong.We switched three cruises(so far) after reading your posts. At the present time Yacht Club is still the best value in 'the ship within a ship' category.The service has been exceptional, the food is cooked to how we like it. The dining room is open port days for lunch. The deck lounges are cushioned for long hours of contemplation. The cabin is cleaned twice per day. The Seascape still has reserved theatre seating until show time. E muster is a dream. (I posted my top 15 in another post). Suffice to say, you both will love the Seascape YC.

MSC have much to answer for on this issue, the handing out of Diamond and other levels of membership like confetti with status match has started this free for all. The YC sounds like it needs to have some security staff based in there in order to stop the nonsense of interlopers, I recall a few people trying it on with the Top 19 on the Inaugural Seaside sailing from Miami but were sent packing by the crew based there.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, sidari said:

MSC have much to answer for on this issue, the handing out of Diamond and other levels of membership like confetti with status match has started this free for all. The YC sounds like it needs to have some security staff based in there in order to stop the nonsense of interlopers, I recall a few people trying it on with the Top 19 on the Inaugural Seaside sailing from Miami but were sent packing by the crew based there.

There are clearly some YC issues on the USofA based ships, but I'd caution against believing everything that is posted! That aside, MSC is so much more than it's USofA based vessels and until these threads are clearer on subject matter being only about such vessels I shall continue to point out that I have never seen such behaviours except one isolated incident involving a well behaved couple in the YC lounge. 😉

• Like 1

7 hours ago, At Sea At Peace said:

I guess without Roy, Vishnu, etc. (wow were we SPOILED)  the butler staff is newer and younger and a bit shy….

Vishnu is now a Concierge (in training). He was just outstanding and made our week just incredible despite the challenges.  He will hopefully be mentoring and guiding the new Butlers. 

Please if you guys see him treat him well, he is one of the good ones for sure, a true diamond in the rough. A real gentleman. 

7 hours ago, At Sea At Peace said:

Edited by BoundForSea
  • Like 1