Rome tours booked on tripadvisor.com

dreamboat43

Has anyone booked Rome tours on the tripadvisor.com website?    I found a Vatican tour offered by Made in Rome Tours.   I found a colosseum tour offered by City Wonders.   Is anyone familiar with these tour companies?  The reviews on tripadvisor look good.  

I have not used either of those tour companies in Rome but the last time we stayed in Rome, prior to our cruise, we used The Roman Guy. For our November cruise we will again be staying in Rome prior and are using them. We thought they were very good and happy with the tours we did.

Keep in mind, you are NOT booking TripAdvisor. The website presents tours, the operating companies, and reviews. Be cautious of the ones that you would by Viator. They do not operate tours, they are a brokerage or go between. We have seen other cruisers very upset when those have been cancelled with just a days notice.

We used Viator for a Rome tour. So worth the money. Leonardo (“LAAAAY-EN-ARDO”) took us everywhere. He taught us as we went around. He helped us with photos.  The real value came in his ability to get to each place quickly and where to park. He’d park and the next point of interest was right around the corner. We could set our own pace. At the end he recommended a wonderful restaurant near the Vatican. The Cardinals etc eat there because it is affordable and AMAZING. 

Be aware of cancellation policies.   I believe some (roman guy) have a credit or reschedule only (no cash refund).

The Tour Guy/Roman Guy and City Wonders are both well established companies.

If you see tours on one of the third party sellers, but know the tour company, you might want to check to see if it is better to skip any middleman and book directly with the tour provider.

I would also consider booking both (or all) tours thru the same company, just to keep things simpler and more centralized.

We are considering a Vatican tour with City Wonders.

Mncrusin,  When you say Leonardo, are you referring to an individual, or a tour company.

I assume that you had a good driver, but not a licensed guide to tour the sites like the Vatican and the Colosseum.

If this is an individual tour driver, do you have contact info?

These are two different things.  Tour drivers are tour drivers, and Licensed Guides, (like roman guy and city wonders) are guides within the sites.

1 hour ago, Wishing on a star said:

Yes,  thanks!

Also, I did try to send you a contact about the available cabins.

Still haven't gotten any reassurance from my TA that they have really tried to get the area we want!

You may contact me, too.

CC does not permit us to contact each other through this website.

On 3/9/2023 at 3:39 PM, Wishing on a star said:

Be aware of cancellation policies.   I believe some (roman guy) have a credit or reschedule only (no cash refund).

The Tour Guy/Roman Guy and City Wonders are both well established companies.

If you see tours on one of the third party sellers, but know the tour company, you might want to check to see if it is better to skip any middleman and book directly with the tour provider.

I would also consider booking both (or all) tours thru the same company, just to keep things simpler and more centralized.

We are considering a Vatican tour with City Wonders.

I am sure that we used City Wonders in Rome at least a couple of times. We were very pleased... a Vatican tour and a Colosseum tour.

All of my tours for my last summer land based trip, Paris and Amsterdam were through TripAdvisor. I was very happy with the communication and the tours that we went on.  I am booking through TA again for our Rome-Venice-Florence land tour and for our excursions on our 10 day cruise from Rome to Greece this October, except for our Amalfi drive excursion which is through our cruise line.

Edited by ninjacat123

5 hours ago, ninjacat123 said:

All of my tours for my last summer land based trip, Paris and Amsterdam were through TripAdvisor. I was very happy with the communication and the tours that we went on.  I am booking through TA again for our Rome-Venice-Florence land tour and for our excursions on our 10 day cruise from Rome to Greece this October, except for our Amalfi drive excursion which is through our cruise line.

TripAdvisor is not a travel agency. Do you mean that you found the tours/ companies on TripAdvisor?

10 hours ago, nini said:

TripAdvisor is not a travel agency. Do you mean that you found the tours/ companies on TripAdvisor?

Yes! So far I have been happy with the results and reading the reviews helps me in my decision process. Similar to Cruise Critic, where I research what others have to say and I can be more informed. 

Yes! So far I have been happy with the results and reading the reviews helps me in my decision process. Similar to Cruise Critic, where I research what others have to say and I can be more informed. 

Between TripAdvisor (using it as a tool to also help confirm opinions on CC) and CC, these two resources really have been the only way I have been able to book our shore excursions, transfers, hotels.

I am very grateful for both.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, nini said:

Between TripAdvisor (using it as a tool to also help confirm opinions on CC) and CC, these two resources really have been the only way I have been able to book our shore excursions, transfers, hotels.

I am very grateful for both.

My youngest DD is graduating from college next year and for her graduation trip she wants to go to Japan.  Thank goodness for TripAdvisor for good ideas, etc.  What I know about Japan could fit in a sake cup😅 I also belong to some travel groups on the site who dare not be named and that has helped as well.

1 minute ago, ninjacat123 said:

My youngest DD is graduating from college next year and for her graduation trip she wants to go to Japan.  Thank goodness for TripAdvisor for good ideas, etc.  What I know about Japan could fit in a sake cup😅 I also belong to some travel groups on the site who dare not be named and that has helped as well.

Congrats about your DD! You definitely know more than me about Japan! Yikes!😳

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, ninjacat123 said:

Let's just say I will know more than I ever thought possible about travel in Japan. I am really excited  (and a bit nervous) about going to Japan but I'm up for the challenge!😄

Everyone I talk with says they loved it. Our daughter's in laws were invited there for a wedding a few years ago and were very impressed. Her in laws had "hosted" a foreign exchange student when their kids were in high school. The parents were grateful and returned the hospitality by inviting them to Japan for the wedding.

2 minutes ago, nini said:

Everyone I talk with says they loved it. Our daughter's in laws were invited there for a wedding a few years ago and were very impressed. Her in laws had "hosted" a foreign exchange student when their kids were in high school. The parents were grateful and returned the hospitality by inviting them to Japan for the wedding.

That's awesome!  What a great way to "see" a country and experience life there with a family from Japan😊

17 hours ago, ninjacat123 said:

A few years back, my son wanted a trip to Japan for his HS graduation present. I researched and did all the planning. There were some very helpful posters on the TA Japan forum who helped immensely by sharing tips, suggestions, detailed information on routes, etc. 

The trip was a huge success -- still one of our favorites!  

(BTW I am leaving Friday for 28 days on a cruise around Japan for cherry blossom season....😄)

59 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

A few years back, my son wanted a trip to Japan for his HS graduation present. I researched and did all the planning. There were some very helpful posters on the TA Japan forum who helped immensely by sharing tips, suggestions, detailed information on routes, etc. 

(BTW I am leaving Friday for 28 days on a cruise around Japan for cherry blossom season....😄)

Yay!!  Good to know about the TA Japan forum.  Have a wonderful time in Japan!!

3 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

@cruisemom42 I hope you have a FANTASTIC time!!! We are all looking forward to anything you may share.

• Like 1

On 3/21/2023 at 8:14 AM, cruisemom42 said:

Yes please, take copious notes and do a mini review, like on this thread.  Or at least post a link to where the review will be on this thread.  Have a blast!!

On 3/21/2023 at 11:55 AM, nini said:

@cruisemom42 I hope you have a FANTASTIC time!!! We are all looking forward to anything you may share.

Yes please, take copious notes and do a mini review, like on this thread.  Or at least post a link to where the review will be on this thread.  Have a blast!!

If I write a review I'll try to remember to come back here and post a link. Also, I'm not much for posting while cruising -- too many other fun things to be doing, lol. 

• Like 1