Marseilles airport to La Seyne cruise port

doglover214

We are on the last leg of the WC that begins in La Seyne. We believe we will fly to Marseilles. I am having a hard time finding a company that will take 8 people with luggage from the airport to the port. 
Does anyone have the name of a company I can email? 
I appreciate the help.

26 minutes ago, doglover214 said:

We are on the last leg of the WC that begins in La Seyne. We believe we will fly to Marseilles. I am having a hard time finding a company that will take 8 people with luggage from the airport to the port. 
Does anyone have the name of a company I can email? 
I appreciate the help.

Have you looked at „welcome pickups“ or „jam transfers“? I do not know if they operate in Marseille. I have taken both in Europe. „ Welcome pickups„ in Barcelona and „Jam Transfers „ in Nice. Both were reliable.

Ivi

Have you considered taking multiple shuttles, perhaps with 4 persons each?  Is there some overriding reason why all 8 have to travel together?

We found a simple solution for places with smaller taxis, such as many Asian locations:  Just take two taxis and meet at the destination.  Mrs FT often gets her own ride - which is far simpler than finding bigger vehicles.

• Like 1

Hmmm, interesting problem.  You can certainly get a taxi, but will likely be charged a lot of money since the driver would have to come back, empty.  So, I assume the fare would be based on around 70 miles which means several hundred Euros.  Another option would be to use a taxi to get to the Marseille train station and then take the TER train to Le Sayne where you can get a taxi to the port.   Since there seem to be plenty of trains (about a 1 hour ride) that seems like the most reasonable option.

We are DIY travelers and would probably just see how it works out upon arrival in Marseille.  Ask a taxi how much to the port and if the price is too high just head to the train station.

Hank

cannot find any company to take us to La Seyne from the Marseilles airport. 

no need for an expensive  company or a taxi all the way.

There is a shuttle bus/navette which runs between the airport and the main train station in Marseille. (la Gare St Charles)  It used to run from early morning until late evening approx every 20 or 30 minutes( but you would need to check online for a timetable and current ticket prices) as there may have been changes since we last used it in September 2019. 

We bought the tickets from a little ticket office beside the bus stop  outside one of the two terminal buildings and showed the driver when we boarded.. if arriving or departing early or late and the ticket office is closed, the driver could be paid instead. It drops you just outside the station on the upper level, you only need exit the bus and go in a station entrance door a few steps away to access the platforms and ticket machines so quite easy with luggage.

From there you can get a train to la Seyne, or, if Toulon  has more frequent trains, travel to there instead.Your choice. A taxi from either station would take you to the dock.

This would be a much cheaper way to get from A to B and relatively easy even with luggage as there are not really any stairs involved, unless at Toulon or la Seyne stations and I know nothing about either.

UPDATE

I had a quick look at the airport website.  Top right corner to select english language.  Rather unusually, I found the timetable and all info on the shuttle bus on the french version of the airport site, under "bus"  NOT the english version. Having clicked "bus"on the french version look to the left for the options and click on the Marseille St Charles train station option. It still runs and if you are trying to find it online, search for L91 Marseille airport shuttle bus"  Current cost pp is euro 8pp and a few cents one way.  If returning, it is cheaper to buy a return than it is to buy 2 singles.Just hold onto your return tickets to show the driver.

Last time we were there, train ickets were bought from machines and required payment by card.  There was an actual ticket office but the lines were enormously long and it was well understaffed  so if the same now, be prepared to use a machine and card.

Edited by edinburgher

2 hours ago, Dancer Bob said:

As of 3 weeks ago, the airport bus information to St Charles was correct.

Assumption- for the train, each person can handle their own luggage. There isn't much luggage space on TER trains.

Very true.  TER trains are more like commuter trains than the quality trains folks often expect in Europe.  That being said, one can drag luggage on a TER train and leave it the end of the car (we actually have a retractable luggage cable lock for this purpose).  It that an ideal situation when one has a lot of luggage.  Nope.  On the other hand, there are times when we struggle with our luggage if it saves us hundreds of dollars.

Hank

8 people with luggage

Simple solution

All 8 of them and their luggage do not need to travel in the same carriage as there will be several carriages to each train.

Split up,into 2's X 4 or 4'sX2 or even a 6 and a 2

Don't forget politics. In January the French government raised the retirement age, which created a lot of unhappiness and disruption at SNCF. This last weekend for the entire weekend most trains were cancelled, sold out, or replaced by buses. Schedules are posted at 17.00 the day prior, which doesn't work for planning months ahead.

Remote but possible are track washouts (Beziers 2019) and derailments (Carcassone 2022). You definitely need a Plan B which might not be advisable for the OP.

• 2 weeks later...

Another question that should have been asked- How many days early are you arriving? I was recently scheduled to fly into MRS. Due to delays and cancellations, I was re-booked for two days later, with no assurance that flight wouldn't be cancelled too. I was able to change to Toulouse only one day late. I had planned to arrive two days before my cruise (schedule changed, long story, not relevant here), I would have just barely made the ship.