Just off the Allure of the Seas-quick review

On 3/7/2023 at 6:57 PM, atakkat said:

Jlshouston- I am so happy to hear your DH is okay. I’m sure that was very scary.

We sail on April 23, celebrating 30 years of wedded bliss. ❤️This will be our first time on a ship this size. Any tips to share? I have been scouring the threads like crazy, I already booked the shows, specialty dining and drink package!

First of all, congratulations!  We were celebrating 30 years as well.  My husband was hesitant to cruise on a ship as large as the Oasis Class and now he is sold!  It never seemed too crowded and the staff is amazing!

If you booked the Ultimate dining package, remember there are specialty restaurants open for lunch.  We particularly liked going to Chops and getting their salads topped with steak or shrimp.

We really enjoyed the Late Night Comedy show.  The venue is intimate and, if you don’t have reservations, there is a standby line and most do get in!

Central Park is a lovely place to sit and unwind after a long day.  We would get a glass of wine at Vintages before dinner and most evenings, there is live music.

Enjoy!

On 3/8/2023 at 11:56 PM, wreckem2013 said:

It was a serious question they are asking because almost all the plants were killed when it docked in Galveston for the Xmas cruise. It was in port with temps in the teens and windchill in the single digits.

Good to know  that they have gotten it back into shape.

They are working on it.  Some of the plants were removed leaving empty spaces and there were dead trees.  It is definitely a work in progress.

47 minutes ago, KGSB11 said:

I leave in 14 days to head to Galveston to board on the 26th.  Kind of a Whisk(e)y centric question, any insight on which bars were stocked better than others? 

Sorry, we are wine drinkers.🤷🏻‍♀️ Wish we could help you.

On 3/7/2023 at 7:24 PM, MD_Dan said:

You mentioned Allure and Odyssey,  We're doing both those ships on a side-to-side in 7 months.    We know (and love) Allure.  I never thought I'd be singing in the aisles at the end of Momma Mia but I agree it is RCL's best show.  We've been on all the other Oasis Class ships except Oasis (not a fan of Cats).  Could you compare and contrast your cruise on these two ships?

I really think it’s personal preference.  We felt the Odyssey layout was odd and a very broken up.  Whereas, we loved the Allure’s layout and “vibe.”  It’s really hard to describe.  We also do have small children, so the water park and bumper cars, etc. are not important to us.  That being said, it still is a very nice ship!

23 hours ago, Spencer71 said:

Will be on Apr 2.  Looking at potential things to do with my daughter. Anyone know if there is an escape room on Allure of the Seas?  Or, Virtual Adventure Zone?  Any comedy shows that are "clean", and would feel comfortable with my 14-yr old daughter there?  What are some good entertainment options to do in the evening, besides the big shows (Mama Mia, OceanAria, Ice Games) that I could do with her?

There is not an Escape Room, unfortunately.  There is a magic show for all ages.  Another thing she

might like to do is hunt for ducks, seriously!  People hide ducks all over the ship (sometimes hundreds) and all ages hunt for them as souvenirs or to re-hide.  It might be a fun thing for you to do together.

• Like 1

You can look for Small Wonders.  Look for periscope/telescopes that rise from the ground to eye level.  If you look, you will see find art inside each.  You used to be able to get a list from guest services of where they are located.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, KGSB11 said:

I leave in 14 days to head to Galveston to board on the 26th.  Kind of a Whisk(e)y centric question, any insight on which bars were stocked better than others? 

I was on mid February.

We were able to get Bulleitt, and Buffalo Trace just about everywhere. Makers mark was a little harder to find but about 75% of the bars had it.

• Like 1

On 3/9/2023 at 7:43 PM, The sea calls my name said:

If you haven't already ,watch the Movie and that would give you a better idea if you think your children would pick up on the sexual innuendos ( which is the theme of the musical  1 daughter 3 possible fathers) having said that the music and dancing is amazing. The best in the fleet to me. The language as I remember was not bad. I would say that kids today see worse on prime time TV just my humble opinion.

Thanks! I'll look up the IMDB content for that. I didn't realize it was a movie.

We are your stereotypical homeschool family. TV is a rarity. Much appreciation!

On 3/6/2023 at 8:36 PM, springgrl said:

We had a fabulous cruise on Allure of the Seas (2/26-3/5)- our first time on the Oasis class in 16 cruises.  

-The ship had to skip Costa Maya due to windy conditions.  Crew members told us this is the third time in recent weeks that this port was skipped.

If anyone has any questions, I would be more than happy to try and answer them.

Thank you springgrl for your post. Our group is traveling AotS in May and I have a couple of questions. 

* Other than refund excursions, did RCCL do anything in the way of compensation for skipping Costa Maya? Go to another port? Have a special event on board? (Wondering what to expect in case the same happens to us.)

* Were there theme nights? If so, what were they? And formal nights? (Some of us will want to participate and I'd like to know what to expect and pack.) ETA: I've searched all over RCCL's webpage and cannot find specific information about theme nights.

* I'm new to RCCL (but not cruising); anything else we should know about RCCL and AotS?

Edited by bagsarepacked
Added add'l question and a missing comment...

Nothing special for skipping Costa Maya, except we took some unusual pathways up to Coz, someone said they did so to best position the ship "out" of the wind for the Aqua show.

You can best see menu/theme info by using the App.  Click on the person icon, then select a different sailing.  Choose AotS for the current or maybe a week or two later than "today".  Then look under daily planner, etc.  This would be fairly accurate to your sailing.  I would say there were enough people doing formals, 70s/colorful, and white nights - that you won't feel like a standout to join in the fun.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, bagsarepacked said:

Thank you springgrl for your post. Our group is traveling AotS in May and I have a couple of questions. 

* Other than refund excursions, did RCCL do anything in the way of compensation for skipping Costa Maya? Go to another port? Have a special event on board? (Wondering what to expect in case the same happens to us.)

* Were there theme nights? If so, what were they? And formal nights? (Some of us will want to participate and I'd like to know what to expect and pack.) ETA: I've searched all over RCCL's webpage and cannot find specific information about theme nights.

* I'm new to RCCL (but not cruising); anything else we should know about RCCL and AotS?

We did receive a refund of port taxes for skipping Costs Maya, I believe $19.95/person.  Also, any venue that usually is closed during port days was open.  I believe they also may have added some trivia events.

There are two formal nights.  Many people dressed up and many did not.  Your group would feel comfortable whatever you choose to wear.  There is also a 70s night which is quite fun.  Lots of great costumes; there was a group dressed as the characters from Scooby Doo and lots of hippies.  There is also a “white night.” 
If your group is interested in shows and other events requiring reservations, try to make them online; however, if they show “sold out”, don’t despair.  When you get on the ship, there are venues where you can still reserve the shows; just be sure to do it the first day!

Happy cruising!

• Like 1

My flight home from IAH doesn't leave until 630pm on Sunday, April 9.  I'm wondering if I should just go straight to the airport, or hang out in Galveston for a while. I'm guessing it might be better to stay in Galveston to avoid higher Uber costs first thing with heavy demand.  If so, any recommendations on what to do?  And then what to do with our luggage, since I don't want to lug it around all day?  Also, seems like the self-debarkation option is best because you have more flexibility on when you get off the ship?

3 hours ago, Spencer71 said:

My flight home from IAH doesn't leave until 630pm on Sunday, April 9.  I'm wondering if I should just go straight to the airport, or hang out in Galveston for a while. I'm guessing it might be better to stay in Galveston to avoid higher Uber costs first thing with heavy demand.  If so, any recommendations on what to do?  And then what to do with our luggage, since I don't want to lug it around all day?  Also, seems like the self-debarkation option is best because you have more flexibility on when you get off the ship?

Having once hung around IAH all day before our long nighttime transatlantic flight I would not recommend this

Now we book a day room in a hotel near the airport. Enjoy a relaxing day by the pool with a room to shower and nap in.  Usually they have airport transfers included too

• Like 1

On 3/11/2023 at 10:06 AM, not-enough-cruising said:

I was on mid February.

We were able to get Bulleitt, and Buffalo Trace just about everywhere. Makers mark was a little harder to find but about 75% of the bars had it.

Thanks; Ill try to get my fill of BT.  What about higher proof for cocktails like a WT101?  I've heard Trellis bar is a good spot to go. 

58 minutes ago, KGSB11 said:

Thanks; Ill try to get my fill of BT.  What about higher proof for cocktails like a WT101?  I've heard Trellis bar is a good spot to go. 

I can not speak personally to WT101 other than to say I do recall seeing it around. 

We love the Trellis bar and spent a good bit of time there 

I sailed on Allure in 2018.  We were at the front of the ship so we got a lot of exercise in walking to the aft for food, shows, etc.  I wasn't going to go to Mamma Mia as I did not enjoy it when we saw it in the theater (not movie), but I went.  I did enjoy it.  The aqua theatre was great.  Also enjoyed the ice skating show and parade and Central Park.

I didn't enjoy the crowds of people.  

I may return to an Oasis class or larger at some point.  I don't know.

Glad to hear you had a good time.  

13 hours ago, Spencer71 said:

I did brief "mock" bookings on Lyft last Sunday.  Pricing was very high from about 9 a.m. to about 11:30 a.m. (circa $150 to $220 for a regular car to Houston Hobby, instead of the usual $50 of so).  Like you, I would like to hang out in Galveston until at least noon, but I don't know how to get anywhere with luggage.

All, is there even a place with chairs to sit down when disembarking?

1 hour ago, DavidMutchler said:

I did brief "mock" bookings on Lyft last Sunday.  Pricing was very high from about 9 a.m. to about 11:30 a.m. (circa $150 to $220 for a regular car to Houston Hobby, instead of the usual $50 of so).  Like you, I would like to hang out in Galveston until at least noon, but I don't know how to get anywhere with luggage.

All, is there even a place with chairs to sit down when disembarking?

Pretty much everyone was called to disembark by 9:30am and I don’t recall seeing anywhere to sit in the terminal.