Just off the Allure of the Seas-quick review

LauraS
This post was recognized by LauraS!

"Thank you for sharing your review with everyone at Cruise Critic. Please consider submitting it to the site for publication as well: Click: Write a Review on any page!"

springgrl was awarded the badge 'Great Review'

We had a fabulous cruise on Allure of the Seas (2/26-3/5)- our first time on the Oasis class in 16 cruises.  We were on the Odyssey of the Seas in August and enjoyed the Oasis class much better.  The Allure’s layout and staff were more to our preference.  Just some observations:

-Even though the ship hasn’t been dry docked for renovations, it is in great shape.  Our room (ocean view balcony guarantee) was in fine shape and the balcony area was free of the typical rust and seemed like it was recently painted.  

-The cabins were still being cleaned twice a day.

-The Allure staff was amazing.  It seemed like the entire crew was engaging, helpful and so accommodating, just like old times!

- Found our first “Cruising Duck!”🐥

- Attended the Aquatheater show, Mamma Mia and Comedy Live late night show; all were amazing.  Mamma Mia was one of the best shows we’ve seen on a cruise ship.

- We purchased the Unlimited Dining Package and it was well worth it.  We dined three evenings at 150 Park, twice at Giovanni’s Table, and once each at Chops and Izumi.  We also had lunch three times at Sabor, once at Chops and once at Johnny Rockets.  We also got a bottle of wine wash evening at dinner for 40% off.  The specialty dining food was excellent, especially 150 Park.  For us, the package was a great deal!

-The ship had to skip Costa Maya due to windy conditions.  Crew members told us this is the third time in recent weeks that this port was skipped.

If anyone has any questions, I would be more than happy to try and answer them.

• Like 9

We were supposed to be on this sail, we were packed and everything, then at midnight Jim woke up with a pulse at 200 and needless to say in 30 minutes we were at Methodist downtown and he had 9 nurses and a doctor hovering with IV's going everywhere. It was pretty scary, happy results they were able to cardiovert him and Wednesday we were home.

This would have been our 6th time on Allure and 2nd since she came to Port of Galveston. Allure is my favorite Oasis Class maybe because of Samba Grill and Mamma Mia. I saw Mamma Mia on Broadway and the cast currently performing this show is the absolute best. I cannot praise their performance enough. 

We have debated doing the complete dining pkg several times and then we just end up doing a BOGO for night 2 somewhere, sometimes we add a Hibachi night on 4. I feel like Allure has the best variety of the specialty restaurants...probably because I consider Hooks a BIG FAIL so I don't miss it on Allure. 

I am glad you enjoyed Allure and I agree compared to staff and crew on all the sails we have done since the pause, Allure has the best for service and attitude and effort

• Like 3

Jlshouston - so sorry you had to miss your cruise but happy your DH is okay.  

We are back in 2 weeks and did not buy the UDP.   We will BOGO the first 2 nights and hope for the best in the MDR.  It’s sounds like you got your moneys worth!

I’m really looking forward to Mama Mia again and booked for 7:30 as I drifted to sleep in the second half last time.  9 was too late for me.   

Jlshouston- I am so happy to hear your DH is okay. I’m sure that was very scary.

We sail on April 23, celebrating 30 years of wedded bliss. ❤️This will be our first time on a ship this size. Any tips to share? I have been scouring the threads like crazy, I already booked the shows, specialty dining and drink package!

You mentioned Allure and Odyssey,  We're doing both those ships on a side-to-side in 7 months.    We know (and love) Allure.  I never thought I'd be singing in the aisles at the end of Momma Mia but I agree it is RCL's best show.  We've been on all the other Oasis Class ships except Oasis (not a fan of Cats).  Could you compare and contrast your cruise on these two ships?

Hi thank you for your review! We are heading to Texas to sail on the Allure August 6! So excited. I was on oasis prior and I’m a little worried that the kids might be bored on allure bc there are no slides. But that’s dumb right? There’s still so much to do. They don’t go to the kids lounge bc of different ages. We are doing Star class with such a great deal!! I’m soooo excited to see Central Park again and be on an oasis class!!

3 hours ago, Stelkp said:

It was great lol. 

It was a serious question they are asking because almost all the plants were killed when it docked in Galveston for the Xmas cruise. It was in port with temps in the teens and windchill in the single digits.

Good to know  that they have gotten it back into shape.

On 3/7/2023 at 6:24 PM, MD_Dan said:

You mentioned Allure and Odyssey,  We're doing both those ships on a side-to-side in 7 months.    We know (and love) Allure.  I never thought I'd be singing in the aisles at the end of Momma Mia but I agree it is RCL's best show.  We've been on all the other Oasis Class ships except Oasis (not a fan of Cats).  Could you compare and contrast your cruise on these two ships?

To me Odyssey was superior in almost every way. We were on Odysseys Thanksgiving cruise and Allures Xmas cruise.

Odyssey has a full teppenyaki and not a cramped couple tables, wonderland, the best playmakers in the fleet, etc. It has the music hall which is a superior venue than what’s on Allure. Allures technology is significantly more dated and you can tell with the sound system in schooner bar. I think people they don’t like Quantum and Quantum Ultra don’t like the esplanade layout vs the promenade layout but to me it works better. People don’t like change. I went on Odyssey first and going on Allure second was a bit of a let down.

• Like 1

Thanks for the review. We are on Allure in April with my kids, ages 13 and 15. On the RC site, it says the Mamma Mia show has adult language and themes. Can anyone comment to this? I know different people have different views on appropriate-ness, but any info would be helpful.

Will be on Apr 2.  Looking at potential things to do with my daughter. Anyone know if there is an escape room on Allure of the Seas?  Or, Virtual Adventure Zone?  Any comedy shows that are "clean", and would feel comfortable with my 14-yr old daughter there?  What are some good entertainment options to do in the evening, besides the big shows (Mama Mia, OceanAria, Ice Games) that I could do with her?

6 hours ago, Scottbro said:

Thanks for the review. We are on Allure in April with my kids, ages 13 and 15. On the RC site, it says the Mamma Mia show has adult language and themes. Can anyone comment to this? I know different people have different views on appropriate-ness, but any info would be helpful.

If you haven't already ,watch the Movie and that would give you a better idea if you think your children would pick up on the sexual innuendos ( which is the theme of the musical  1 daughter 3 possible fathers) having said that the music and dancing is amazing. The best in the fleet to me. The language as I remember was not bad. I would say that kids today see worse on prime time TV just my humble opinion.

4 hours ago, Spencer71 said:

Will be on Apr 2.  Looking at potential things to do with my daughter. Anyone know if there is an escape room on Allure of the Seas?  Or, Virtual Adventure Zone?  Any comedy shows that are "clean", and would feel comfortable with my 14-yr old daughter there?  What are some good entertainment options to do in the evening, besides the big shows (Mama Mia, OceanAria, Ice Games) that I could do with her?

They  usually have headliner shows which ranges from  in clean comedy, jugglers, singers etc.