New Menu- Sabatini's and Crown Grill- Favorite Menu Items

FrankieJayIII

Hello!  

Going on Ruby in May and excited to try both of the specialty dinners.  I see there is discussion about menu changes at the restaurant or restaurants and updated menus... 

With that being said- what are the best items on the Sabatini and the CG menus?  

Please post photos too; we are all excited to try your suggestions!

Our opinion

If you like Italian, you will love Sabatini's new menu.  For years we didn't go to Sabatini's as we felt the menu was lacking - but we tried their new menu the last two cruises on the Enchanted and it is fantastic.

Conversely, we have always loved the Crown Grill but it appears that Princess has lowered the quality of meat purchased for this venue.  In the past year we have tried it twice on the Enchanted, once on the Sky, and once on the Ruby, and were disappointed in the quality of the meat.  The Head Waiter of the Crown Grill on the Enchanted admitted he gets numerous complaints an evening due to tough Filets and New Yorks (wishes that Princess would go back to supplying higher grade meat).  To be clear though - it is the quality of meat that has become the issue, not the service or other sides which continue to be fantastic.

• Like 2

We ate at both on the Sky Princess recently.  While the food was good at Sabatini's, the meal took 3 1/2 hours.  Not sure if they were short staffed or what, but that was a bit frustrating.  I will say, my DH got the chicken main dish and did not like it.  I had the branzino and enjoyed it.  

Before the shutdown, the Rib Eye was the best I recall having in many, many years.  Grilled perfectly, aged wonderfully, juicy, tender.  Heaven.  The Crown Grill was always a high point of our vacation.

Post Pandemic, one Alaska cruise, one Transatlantic, the Rib Eye was the worst in many, many years.  Fake grill marks, tough meat, horrible.  HORRIBLE.  Even not comparing it to what it was I was exceptionally disappointed. 

My hope is that it was just supply issues that were common during the period.  I have high hopes for our Transpacific in October.  Enough time for many wonderful Rib Eyes, or one sub-par one.

Always the optimist.

Edited by The Greater Fool
grammar
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Crowne Grill: salted caramel creme brulee cheesecake. We like that so much that on the Sky last week when we didn't make it to the Crowne Grill, we just ordered it through room service. 

PXL_20230303_225742917.jpg

• Like 3

17 hours ago, MsSoCalCruiser said:

You can’t go wrong with a Rib Eye.  The spinach on the menu is creamed, but the one in the photo is not creamed due to dairy allergies.  So yummy!

4E9512D3-05CA-4938-BCA8-D57DD1127872.jpeg

Admittedly, we haven't dined in Crown Grill for a few years now; instead only dining at Sabatinis on our most recent Princess cruise.

Most of our previous experiences dining in CG(pre-pandemic) have been pleasant ones.

However(and I mean this with all sincerity and no malice intended), that is a pretty depressing looking Rib-Eye -- if that is what the fare being offered in CG is these days.😞

• Like 1

9 hours ago, RLK33853 said:

The Head Waiter of the Crown Grill on the Enchanted admitted he gets numerous complaints an evening due to tough Filets and New Yorks (wishes that Princess would go back to supplying higher grade meat).  To be clear though - it is the quality of meat that has become the issue, not the service or other sides which continue to be fantastic.

They raised the cover $10/pp recently and one would think that could allow them to maintain quality.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Skai said:

Admittedly, we haven't dined in Crown Grill for a few years now; instead only dining at Sabatinis on our most recent Princess cruise.

Most of our previous experiences dining in CG(pre-pandemic) have been pleasant ones.

However(and I mean this with all sincerity and no malice intended), that is a pretty depressing looking Rib-Eye -- if that is what the fare being offered in CG is these days.😞

I will admit that it was nothing like it used to be.  That rib-eye was on my April 2022 cruise.  

Here is a rib-eye from January 2019.  I was asked to cut it and make sure it was cooked to my liking….

2F2D4A67-665F-4A2B-A676-E375886CE095.jpeg

Edited by MsSoCalCruiser
  • Like 1

We love the new Sabatini's menu but I wasn't aware that Crown Grill also had a new menu?  It was the same old same old when we were on the Enchanted in December.  It really needs an overhaul and I agree with those who say that the quality of the steaks has gone downhill.

We've stopped going to crown.  We were disappointed all 6 trips post covid.  I can get better ribeye at Safeway and equivalent at Foodmaxx. It's too fatty, grisly and bland. 

And they stopped the chocolate dessert.  And I feel bad for saying this, but I can get the same dessert on carnival every night in the dining room, exactly the same dessert, but on a cheaper line, in the dining room.  

I'm also temped to stop Sabatini's, the lamb appetizer has gotten so thin, it's always well done, which isn't how lamb should be served (to me). 

I don't think I'm getting jaded, I really think the quality has decreased enough to be noticed.  

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, malba2366 said:

Does anyone know which USDA grade beef is served in the Princess steakhouses...all they say is "Premium" beef which means nothing.

It tastes like "select" to me. I asked once if it was "choice" trying to get them to answer anything and the refused to answer.

Edited by Coral
  • Like 1

Our first cruise on Princess was last year and went to the Crown on Enchanted.

Filet was really tough, hard to chew. I was like really? Am I having just a one-off bad experience?

Im not a picky eater at all. But when my wife had the same poor cut of beef we decided we will not going there anymore.

Interesting part was had several different cuts of beef dinners at the MDR and all were excellent.

I still have no idea why the better beef is served is served in MDR compared to their $ steak house.

But then again, I get confused about many things nowadays 😂

42 minutes ago, malba2366 said:

Does anyone know which USDA grade beef is served in the Princess steakhouses...all they say is "Premium" beef which means nothing.

At one point they were trumpeting the use of Cargill’s proprietary Sterling Silver beef, which, frankly, is a little like advertising that you buy your wine at K-Mart. 

It’s all technically USDA Choice, but only the two more-marbled sub levels inside Choice, “Moderate” and “Modest”. Here’s a helpful photo to show the level of marbling we’re discussing here, on a rib eye.  8CC5ED7A-4B02-43F7-A330-77CC0A653427.thumb.jpeg.476e2c23aae1ff174e58a9db0ef07c31.jpeg

None of that says “steakhouse” to me. 

To the OP’s question:  the osso buco on the new Sabatini’s menu is worth the splurge.  It’s really delightful. 

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, azbirdmom said:

We love the new Sabatini's menu but I wasn't aware that Crown Grill also had a new menu?  It was the same old same old when we were on the Enchanted in December.  It really needs an overhaul and I agree with those who say that the quality of the steaks has gone downhill.

IIRC correctly from last Fall, there were some appetizer changes and for certain dessert changes.  But the mains looked same as ever.

18 minutes ago, Coral said:

Always the optimist. I seriously doubt anything has changed but the price.

So sad.  If it’s poor quality, I probably will not be booking again anytime soon. It’s one thing to have the post Covid so so quality at $29 but at $39 I’m not so sure.  

6 minutes ago, MsSoCalCruiser said:

So sad.  If it’s poor quality, I probably will not be booking again anytime soon. It’s one thing to have the post Covid so so quality at $29 but at $39 I’m not so sure.  

I haven't been since the price increased. I just don't think they are going to spend more money on the quality. I think they are just trying to pay off their debts.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

IIRC correctly from last Fall, there were some appetizer changes and for certain dessert changes.  But the mains looked same as ever.

Yes, slight changes in those categories.  But the mains and sides haven't changed for many years.

• Like 1