Anthem engine issues this week

On 3/12/2023 at 3:41 PM, chengkp75 said:

This was a propulsion problem with one of the ship's azipods.  The current issue is with one of the ship's diesel engines, which is limiting power generation capacity, so there is less power to the azipods, so the ship goes slower.  It would not require a drydock to repair, nor would it likely cause a complete cancellation of a cruise.

This is a significant problem with the ships that have gone with only 4 diesel generators.  If one of the larger diesels is taken out of service, for repair or maintenance, if the itinerary is not carefully determined, with regards to speed, then the itinerary can become impacted.  The ships with 5 or 6 engines have more flexibility, and less impact from an engine being out of service.

Just got this in the email.  Perhaps they anticpate the limited power generation to persist, to at least June 23 and are adjusting schedules accordingly?

Dear Guest,

To maintain a safe and comfortable speed along our journey, we’ve adjusted the times we’ll visit Bergen and Kristiansand, Norway, and our arrival into Southampton, England. While we’ll lose some time in Bergen, we know you’ll have an amazing time. We’re sorry for any inconvenience caused by this. Nevertheless, we’re excited to sail away with you! Below, please find our revised Anthem of the Seas June 16th, 2023 itinerary.

Day

Port of Call

Arrive

Depart

Fri

Southampton, England

5:00 PM

Sat

Cruising

Sun

Bergen, Norway

2:30 PM

8:00 PM

Mon

Olden, Norway

8:00 AM

6:00 PM

Tue

Maloy, Norway

7:00 AM

4:00 PM

Wed

Kristiansand, Norway

11:59 AM

Thu

Cruising

Fri

Southampton, England

6:00 AM

Our Shore Excursions team will automatically reschedule any pre-paid Royal Caribbean International shore excursions affected by this change. In the meantime, feel free to browse all the exciting shore excursion options for your sailing in Cruise Planner to level up your vacation.

Thanks for your understanding. We can’t wait to welcome you onboard Anthem of the Seas!

On 3/18/2023 at 12:08 PM, Max and Ruby said:

I remember from summer that the parking is a zoo so I wanted to get there a bit earlier, but balance between those disembarking and us embarking.

IIRC, they will not let you in the garage until 10. 

25 minutes ago, WarfRatWA said:

Just got this in the email.  Perhaps they anticpate the limited power generation to persist, to at least June 23 and are adjusting schedules accordingly?

Dear Guest,

To maintain a safe and comfortable speed along our journey, we’ve adjusted the times we’ll visit Bergen and Kristiansand, Norway, and our arrival into Southampton, England. While we’ll lose some time in Bergen, we know you’ll have an amazing time. We’re sorry for any inconvenience caused by this. Nevertheless, we’re excited to sail away with you! Below, please find our revised Anthem of the Seas June 16th, 2023 itinerary.

Day

Port of Call

Arrive

Depart

Fri

Southampton, England

Sat

Cruising

Sun

Bergen, Norway

2:30 PM

Mon

Olden, Norway

Tue

Maloy, Norway

7:00 AM

Wed

Kristiansand, Norway

11:59 AM

Thu

Cruising

Fri

Southampton, England

6:00 AM

Our Shore Excursions team will automatically reschedule any pre-paid Royal Caribbean International shore excursions affected by this change. In the meantime, feel free to browse all the exciting shore excursion options for your sailing in Cruise Planner to level up your vacation.

Thanks for your understanding. We can’t wait to welcome you onboard Anthem of the Seas!

And I'm guessing you're just past final payment?

Guess I should probably be on the look-out for a similar email in a couple of weeks' time since my final payment for my Norway sailing is due on the 8th of April.

58 minutes ago, Max and Ruby said:

@Merion_Mom Ok.  Good to know.  We parked last June in the open lot for our cruise.  No garage because many ships.  We were in the terminal at 10.  

Anthem is the only ship currently sailing out of Bayonne.  We had no problem with parking in the garage for our December cruise.

• Thanks 1

Today We received this same email About it:

ABOUT YOUR UPCOMING TRAVELS

Dear Guest,

To maintain a safe and comfortable speed along our journey, we’ve adjusted the times we’ll visit Vigo, Spain, Madeira (Funchal), Portugal, and Lanzarote, Canary Islands. We’re sorry for any inconvenience caused by this. Nevertheless, we know you’ll have an amazing time exploring everything these ports have to offer! Below, please find our revised Anthem of the Seas June 4th, 2023 itinerary.

Day

Port of Call

Arrive

Depart

Sun

Southampton, England

Mon

Cruising

Tue

Vigo, Spain

10:00 AM

Wed

Cruising

Thu

Madeira (Funchal), Portugal

Fri

Lanzarote, Canary Islands

10:00 AM

7:00 PM

Sat

Gran Canaria, Canary Islands

Sun

Tenerife, Canary Islands

Mon

Cruising

Tue

Lisbon, Portugal

9:00 AM

11:59 PM

Wed

Cruising

Thu

Cruising

Fri

Southampton, England

5:30 AM

Edited by puertorican

On 3/16/2023 at 10:21 PM, Merion_Mom said:

Tell me about this "reset" thing.

I was on the 26th, too.

I’m not sure what was done.  If I had to guess I’d say they turned all the equipment off and back on again!

• Haha 1

On 3/17/2023 at 6:11 AM, barbeyg said:

I don't know why the ships have wifi systems if they aren't going to periodically reboot them.  All wifi systems have issues, and yet RCI seems to only do a reboot (or reset as they call it 🙄) when they have to start refunding money.  Sigh.

I think this had to do with the initial Starlink system not being installed correctly.  Just a rumor I heard onboard…

• Like 1