price of specialty restaurants

ImperialLady

25 minutes ago, wowzz said:

I think these price increases are a reality check. 

Numerous posts about poor quality of food in the MDRs, portion sizes,  reduced choice in the buffets etc, but in the real world food prices are spiralling upwards.

People dont want to pay higher cruise prices,  but expect the same level  of  food quality and quantity. It just ain't possible.

I’ve seen all those posts … 

one thing I haven’t had a problem with is the quality of the food.  But, as I may have mentioned, I don’t eat any beef, pork or lamb .. so,, maybe that is key!  
I’ve had some incredible fish, seafood and chicken dishes.  And those $3 pizzas are so very good!   And, I really like the reduced portions,  as I was always taught to never waste food, and I won’t.  

As you say, those prices now haven’t even somewhat kept up with inflation.  It’s unreasonable to think that we are being nickeled and dimed as I’ve seen on so many posts.  We all found the best travel bargain that is out there.  

Edited by Cruise Raider
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, wowzz said:

People don't want to pay higher cruise prices,  but expect the same level of food quality and quantity. It just ain't possible.

Not me.  Give me fair price increases and maintain the quality.  I see the same thing in retail where products are cheapened down and pricing stays.  I hate to pay for poor food ingredient quality - I'd rather pay more like what I would buy for myself.

I have been wondering for some years now with the great increase in organic and otherwise natural foods, including pasture-raised meats and free-range chickens and so forth, when the consumer will be asking for or demanding this from restaurants on land and at sea.  I don't see it yet and very few establishments (AFAIK) cater to this.

30 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

Not me.  Give me fair price increases and maintain the quality.  I see the same thing in retail where products are cheapened down and pricing stays.  I hate to pay for poor food ingredient quality - I'd rather pay more like what I would buy for myself.

I have been wondering for some years now with the great increase in organic and otherwise natural foods, including pasture-raised meats and free-range chickens and so forth, when the consumer will be asking for or demanding this from restaurants on land and at sea.  I don't see it yet and very few establishments (AFAIK) cater to this.

Surveys have shown that the largest percentage of restaurant goers are more content, and would rather pay more for the same than pay the same for less, when confronted with the prospect of rising costs.

IE.  -- Paying $15(for what was previously $12) for a 10 oz. steak, than pay the same $12 for a smaller 8 oz. steak

Princess has decided to go both directions.

The quandary of being limited by what would likely be considered too large of price increases to remain competitive with their industry counterparts, they have decided to charge $15 for that 8 oz. steak. 

• Like 1

On 3/7/2023 at 9:07 PM, Kineticoh20 said:

With the quality or lack there of the meat as of late I will save the OBC and buy my wife a bottle of Chanel. Sizzler has a better steak I’m sorry to say.

To be honest I thought the same thing when I got a steak at Crown Grill. Certainly not the quality of a good shoreside steak venue.

This is my last offering from Crown Grill, ordered Med rare, got an almost raw cut of utility beef. Fiberous and a ridiculous amount of fat as you can see. Waiter comes by and ask how is everything and I didn’t even have to tell him he looks down at what was on my plate, shakes his head in disbelief and offers to get me another which I declined. Then his boss comes over and again ask to refire a steak. There is no doubt the quality of steak has changed. I am not asking for prime beef but a good choice would be great however my last 3 ribeyes have been select beef I’m sure of it. 

7219E6E2-38BE-4636-B234-583FCE589606.jpeg

Edited by Kineticoh20

2 hours ago, Kineticoh20 said:

There is no doubt the quality of steak has changed. I am not asking for prime beef but a good choice would be great however my last 3 ribeyes have been select beef I’m sure of it. 

You should expect prime beef in the specialty restaurant.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Skai said:

Surveys have shown that the largest percentage of restaurant goers are more content, and would rather pay more for the same than pay the same for less, when confronted with the prospect of rising costs.

IE.  -- Paying $15(for what was previously $12) for a 10 oz. steak, than pay the same $12 for a smaller 8 oz. steak

Princess has decided to go both directions.

The quandary of being limited by what would likely be considered too large of price increases to remain competitive with their industry counterparts, they have decided to charge $15 for that 8 oz. steak. 

Gotcha, but in Princess case, it's not the size aspect - it's the quality aspect down with the higher price.  But on your note, they could have reduced portion sizes of many since they are huge to begin with.

I am usually a Ribeye guy as is the rest of my family. The last 4 times we dined in the Crown Gill (all pre-pause) we all ordered Ribeyes. Since the resumption of operations we have only dined at Sabatini’s for our Specialty Dining experiences. For our next cruise I booked one night in each. This and other threads has pretty much convinced me that ordering Ribeye is a losing bet. (Especially the photo above.). So….how is the quality of the Filet Mignon?  If that is also subpar, I think I am going to cancel my CG reservation so your opinions will dictate my next move. What say you?  Is the Filet (plus the other courses) worth a trip to the CG?

14 hours ago, JimmyVWine said:

I am usually a Ribeye guy as is the rest of my family. The last 4 times we dined in the Crown Gill (all pre-pause) we all ordered Ribeyes. Since the resumption of operations we have only dined at Sabatini’s for our Specialty Dining experiences. For our next cruise I booked one night in each. This and other threads has pretty much convinced me that ordering Ribeye is a losing bet. (Especially the photo above.). So….how is the quality of the Filet Mignon?  If that is also subpar, I think I am going to cancel my CG reservation so your opinions will dictate my next move. What say you?  Is the Filet (plus the other courses) worth a trip to the CG?

My DH has had great luck with the filet mignon at the Crown Grill.  But, he honestly likes the lamb chops the best.  Every time he orders the rib eye, he has regrets.  
I’ve been a huge fan of Sabatini’s .. but now they don’t have the sole piccata on the menu, I’m just not sure if it is worth it for me anymore.  Perhaps they will add it back!  I can only hope!  I had it twice on the Diamond and it was spectacular.  
The Chilean sea bass at the Crown Grill has also been phenomenal, IMO.  I hope they never get rid of that.  The sea bass and sole are two fishes that obviously freeze well as they are my absolute favorites onboard.  

• Thanks 1