Booking TWO people for just a solo cruiser....questions?

mickeychicky

52 minutes ago, MsTabbyKats said:

As beautiful as the ships are....the land service is awful.

On the home page there's a link to request a call from a concierge.  Maybe they are a bit better trained and/or more logical that the reps at the call center.  I'd give that a try.

Maybe it's my imagination...or I had a senior moment, but I swear that just recently (last couple of weeks) they were pushing solo cruisers on the home page.  

They still have Solo offer listed under current promotions

SOLO GUESTS

Make a new booking by May 31, 2023, and sail by May 31, 2023, to be eligible.

Terms & Conditions:

• 80% off our Single Supplement fee is valid for new bookings only, with the following requirements: 
  • New booking(s) made between June 10, 2022, and May 31, 2023.
  • Departures between June 10, 2022, and May 31, 2023.
  • Fees will be applied on the cruise fare.

For guests who wish to change their existing reservation, the current booking must be canceled, and a new booking created:

• Applicable penalties will apply to all existing bookings canceled within the penalty period.
  • Refund amounts, as applicable, will be processed to the original form of payment.
  • The prevailing rate of the new reservation will apply.
  • This promo is subject to availability and subject to change. 
  • This offer is combinable with all rates and promotions available in the market. 

In addition to the 80% off Single Supplement Fee, guests can also receive a free 1-hour welcome cocktail, plus the flexibility to choose onboard dinner seating with the following requirements: 

• New booking(s) made between July 19, 2022, and May 31, 2023. 
  • Departures between September 24, 2022, and May 31, 2023 (departure dates vary based on destination and ship).

For guests who wish to change their existing reservation, the current booking must be canceled, and a new booking created:

• Valid on cruises 3 nights or longer (1-2 night cruises are excluded). 
  • FIT only; Groups excluded
  • Guests traveling as a single but linked to other reservations through "Travel With" are excluded. 
  • The offer is retroactive; existing applicable singles bookings will automatically be updated

51 minutes ago, MsTabbyKats said:

Maybe it's my imagination...or I had a senior moment, but I swear that just recently (last couple of weeks) they were pushing solo cruisers on the home page.  

Not your imagination. They still have solo rates, just not available on every sailing. I did 4 solo sailings in the past year and the additional supplement was from 0% (Jan 2022) to 20% (Jan 2023).

From the main webpage (at least on a iPhone), click the Menu option, then Best Cruise Deals, then Solo Rates. The current solo promotion says it ends for sailings in May 2023, but I am still seeing some great solo rates after that. The longer sailings and those 6 months or more out seem to have the best deals. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 3/8/2023 at 1:10 PM, mickeychicky said:

I can go to Royal Caribbean, put in 1 for # of travelers and, unless that sailing is Completely Booked, I will get a cabin that is charging me DOUBLE OCCUPANCY, and it would be my choice if I want to pay double for 1 person. 

MSC doesn't even give me the opportunity to book 1 person at a double occupancy rate (which I would do because it's still cheaper than a RCCL cruise).  It's either a SOLO rate, or a 2 person rate and you better have 2 people that go or you'll be charged EVEN more than the double occupancy rate you've already paid. 

It's not a scam if I AM PAYING FOR 2 people and only 1 shows up. I would have paid more than a solo cruiser fare anyway when I booked. 

Today I was able to book a cruise on Seaside as a solo in a double room. The agent was very helpful. It required that I be listed twice as the first and second guest. That way its not a no show. It was not a solo discount. I paid twice the price as if booking 2 people. It was still inexpensive thankfully!

On 5/23/2023 at 7:10 PM, awatt said:

Today I was able to book a cruise on Seaside as a solo in a double room. The agent was very helpful. It required that I be listed twice as the first and second guest. That way its not a no show. It was not a solo discount. I paid twice the price as if booking 2 people. It was still inexpensive thankfully!

Sad that you had to do this. Even though the solo fare was twice the price, you only had to pay taxes for one person. Now you're paying taxes for two people. As recently as last year MSC was known for not gouging solo travelers but it appears that's no longer the case.

MSC probably have the data to suggest otherwise, but I'm sure there are plenty of solo travellers that spend more on-onboard, on things like a spa or excursions, than couples or families sharing a cabin. It's short sighted of MSC to treat Solos like this. Solos also keep the capacity down which can only benefit/please the collective, which in turn may increase repeat bookings. 

Well, we will have a definitive answer for your first question in about 2 weeks. We have have a single booked in a double occupancy cabin for the june 11 sailing on Seascape. Paid full price for 'both' people.   We dont plan on attempting to cancel the second person before the cruise because it was a pain in the you know what getting our shore excursions, dinner reservations, etc straight so we dont want to touch anything before we get on the ship.   

Maybe someone thats a TA will know this, but i thought our TA said that they way she booked the second person will alert MSC that its a noshow or fake person.  Example, they used his name with a TBAA at the end.  NameTBAA

On 3/8/2023 at 5:02 AM, mickeychicky said:

New to MSC and already having issues with trying to book a cruise for just me.

I am not getting any available cabins for just ONE person, but get a lot of cabin options for 2 people.  BEFORE you say, because there are no solo cabins available....yesterday morning I did a mock booking for ONE PERSON for an inside cabin and let them pick my room.  I also did a mock booking for TWO people, inside cabin (just to compare the prices) and let them pick my room....it was the same cabin.  So it didn't matter if I picked ONE or TWO people it was the same cabin.

TODAY, I can book the cruise for TWO people, inside cabin and it's less than if I had booked yesterday for ONE or TWO people. 

QUESTION:  If I book for 2 people, when can I cancel that 2nd (ghost person) off my booking?  I know I will only be refunded the port fees for that person.

QUESTION:  When I cancel that 2nd person off my booking, are they going to try to apply a penalty to my booking for me now being a solo traveler?

My sister has done this on another line.  She booked and paid for two, said her room mate was a no show.  Got a refund on port fees. You are technically paying for two people, so not sure why MSC would have a problem with that. 

If one is cruising on MSC, it does not matter what other cruise lines may do.

MSC has closed the "no show" loophole in their "Terms and Conditions" and "Conditions of Carriage" on their website.

I suggest you everyone read and understand the cancellation penalties (no show is considered a cancellation with the loss of that portion of the cabin fare) and an assessment of a single supplement for the remaining passenger in the cabin. 

It may not happen, but at least be prepared and realize that it is written in the T&C and Conditions of Carriage that one agrees to when booking a cruise.