Solstice Sky Suite outlet placement for c-pap/bi-pap...

heatescapee

Can I assume that the Solstice Sky Suite will need to have a c-pap/bi-pap extention cord taped down? Or perhaps there is an outlet behind the bed which could be used with a European outlet? Our previous 3 cabins always felt "tacky" with the dirty taped extention cord. We're also considering purchasing a portable battery which could be charged at the desk during the day. Any info is appreciated! 

16 minutes ago, heatescapee said:

Can I assume that the Solstice Sky Suite will need to have a c-pap/bi-pap extention cord taped down? Or perhaps there is an outlet behind the bed which could be used with a European outlet? Our previous 3 cabins always felt "tacky" with the dirty taped extention cord. We're also considering purchasing a portable battery which could be charged at the desk during the day. Any info is appreciated! 

I would double check about any battery to operate a cpap.  That could definitely be a possible fire hazard and might be banned.

We used a cord.  No idea why it would be either dirty (cords delivered to us always looked nearly new) or taped down.  We put the cord from the desk to the bed on the side away from the bath when retiring.  Stored under the bed at other times.

2 hours ago, heatescapee said:

The standard method is to tape down onto the carpet an extension cord running from the outlet by the desk to the unit by your bedside.  I don't like it either.

On our last cruise (Constellation) my wife decided to put magnetic hooks on the ceiling and then used them to string the extension cord across our non-suite stateroom.  It is still tacky looking when hung at night, but during the day we could easily take the cord down (and put back up easily later before bed).

Although we have sailed on Solstice twice, we have not been in a stateroom where there was a night stand or light that was plugged into the wall next to our bed.  We have seen this in cabins on other ships (M class).  In those cases, we found the night stand light plugged into a Euro receptacle although it took some effort to get to it. Someone on a similar subject thread reported that they had a device to plug into a Euro receptacle that allowed the night stand light to be plugged into it with a spare American style outlet to use for their CPAP.  Sounded slick.

Edited by mahdnc

The non-E-Class ships do not have AC outlets near the bed and the others have posted their solutions. In my case, I just lived with the ugly extension cord taped to the floor. Not a big deal to me or my DW. 

My purpose for this response is that you mentioned a battery for overnight use. CPAP machines can take a considerable sized battery especially if the humidifier is turned on. You may have run into this problem if you have battery backup at home (AC power primary). Without the humidifier you may find a battery large enough to travel with can get through the night. I have a battery installed at home that is connected between the APAP's power brick and the ResMed APAP machine. In this configuration the APAP has nearly instant switchover power if there is a power outage at night. This battery is rather small and designed for those users that need CPAP therapy for long overnight airplane trips. I have not tested it to find out if it will last 8 hours either with, or without, the humidifier turned on. No long power failures since I bought this battery solution.

If interested I can find the model and purchasing information. Although I do not know for sure that it will last 8 hours, or that it can be recharged totally during one day. 

4 minutes ago, sptrout said:

The non-E-Class ships do not have AC outlets near the bed and the others have posted their solutions. In my case, I just lived with the ugly extension cord taped to the floor. Not a big deal to me or my DW. 

My purpose for this response is that you mentioned a battery for overnight use. CPAP machines can take a considerable sized battery especially if the humidifier is turned on. You may have run into this problem if you have battery backup at home (AC power primary). Without the humidifier you may find a battery large enough to travel with can get through the night. I have a battery installed at home that is connected between the APAP's power brick and the ResMed APAP machine. In this configuration the APAP has nearly instant switchover power if there is a power outage at night. This battery is rather small and designed for those users that need CPAP therapy for long overnight airplane trips. I have not tested it to find out if it will last 8 hours either with, or without, the humidifier turned on. No long power failures since I bought this battery solution.

If interested I can find the model and purchasing information. Although I do not know for sure that it will last 8 hours, or that it can be recharged totally during one day. 

Nice Bird of Paradise flower in your avatar!

Just now, mahdnc said:

Nice Bird of Paradise flower in your avatar!

Thank you. A picture from our front yard. It is a battle to keep a BoP alive all winter here in Houston most winters, but we have been successful for the last four years. The plant is huge now, almost too big to protect from winter freezes. 

• Like 1

On our last couple of cruises we used a multiplug adapter that we plug into the outlet by the desk. The cpap cord is long enough to reach this adapter without using the extension cord. We just unplugged the cpap in the morning and wound up the cord so it was out of the way during the day. 

16 minutes ago, kathynorth said:

On our last couple of cruises we used a multiplug adapter that we plug into the outlet by the desk. The cpap cord is long enough to reach this adapter without using the extension cord. We just unplugged the cpap in the morning and wound up the cord so it was out of the way during the day. 

I tried this in our last pre-E-Class Sky Suite and it almost worked as you described; just needed a couple more feet. Would have likely worked in a non-suite cabin.

Many thanks for the responses. sptrout, yes my husband uses a humidifier and it's a bi-pap, so I may have to skip the battery idea as I expect his machine uses too much power....the charger I was looking at is $400, maybe it's much $$ to experiment with. 

Mahdnc, I'd read in my searches about the magnetic ceiling hooks...very clever! 

Now, I just need to know if there's a plug behind the bed in the Sky Suite. I'm sure we could get cruise staff to pull the bed out for the European plug. 

5 hours ago, sptrout said:

Our cabin on the Millennium (Accessible Sky Suite) had an available 120v outlet next to the bed.