Here’s to NOT “The Worst Cruise I’ve Ever Taken”!!! Sailing the Mera today- first time MSC, YC and Aurea Suite

L1211

1 hour ago, L1211 said:

Oh boy, my DH is a collector/drinker (not collector/reseller) and we likely have 150 different bourbons- rotate through a bourbon table that holds maybe 60 bottles.  He shares almost everything… the Weller 12 year and Weller antique 107 are his favs and remain “put back” - ha!  Favorite day to day bourbons likely Weller SR green label.  Seems he’s a Weller guy! We go to Buffalo trace often and get allocated bourbon at retail - lucky to live nearby!!  

My daughter and son-in-law met at Centre, and he is from Winchester. Like your DH, he is a collector/drinker. Weller is a fave of his as well! Whenever we visit, he curates tasting flights from his collection - he is a keeper for sure!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, NorthernCouple said:

Darn it - not sure where I thought that I read that. When I check the site - you are correct.

image.png.1c4a86ccb0bdf4496366a7021c2a05af.png

And no mention of caviar being served, even once a week....

We have 7 YC cruises under our belts and, whilst none were perfect (nor is Seabourn), there is little that has been reported on the OP 4 night cruise has been our experience. This is not typical YC.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, L1211 said:

I’m honestly unclear on where everyone was!  There was literally no one in the queue set up on deck 6 where you disembark.  No one waiting around the YC desk area.  There were no doors propped open for cleaning like I’ve always seen when leaving a cruise ship.  I don’t know if we were the last or the first off - ha!  

I meant the room that was getting late croissants and coffee.  They may have been doing a B2B so didn't have to be out of the room by 6:30.

5 hours ago, NorthernCouple said:

Your reports definitely put me on guard regarding our 7 day NYC-NYC in July. I feel like I will enter the boat defensive and pushing for us to get the value that we paid for. Not a good way to start.

Hopefully, MSC keeps tabs on these forums (they would be foolish if they didn't). Our family is a demographic that they should be targeting. My wife and I would book Seabourn if we didn't have kids. We typically only get 1-2 weeks off together per year. So, we are willing to spend more money on those weeks. We are looking for that Seabourn experience for us but with a kid friendly boat. If we have a good first cruise, we could be customers for the next 10 years.

Based on your reports, I'm just not hopeful. They seemed to fail the customer service experience frequently.

Ship. Not boat.

11 minutes ago, JAGR said:

I meant the room that was getting late croissants and coffee.  They may have been doing a B2B so didn't have to be out of the room by 6:30.

Is room service available to B2B'ers in the YC on the last morning? 

12 minutes ago, jules815 said:

Is room service available to B2B'ers in the YC on the last morning? 

We've done it at least once on our B2B's. Remember, YC breakfast service is fairly basic.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mrs_Tiki said:

My daughter and son-in-law met at Centre, and he is from Winchester. Like your DH, he is a collector/drinker. Weller is a fave of his as well! Whenever we visit, he curates tasting flights from his collection - he is a keeper for sure!

Oh yes - LOVE that he does that!  I’m not a bourbon drinker but I love to share.  DH got me 24 crystal tasting glasses (the little oddly shaped cordial glasses???) so guests can taste multiples. Southern hospitality at its finest!   Love it!!

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, JAGR said:

We've done it at least once on our B2B's. Remember, YC breakfast service is fairly basic.

Totally a best practice!  We’re dragging our hungover selves out at 7:15 and see a butler with a silver tray of coffee, croissants, and fruit on the way to a cabin- total morning envy!!!   

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, NorthernCouple said:

Remains to be seen...hoping to hear more positive reviews between now and July.

fail man overboard GIF (GIF Image)

The Mera was perfectly sea worthy!  One more good thing I can say.  She’s so large that we barely felt movement even all the way forward on 19.  Did sunset from the near empty pool deck each evening with a drink from the lounge.  It was lovely!!  Sail away from Nassau was spectacular.  

CF75399C-358A-49C9-8D7F-F1691267AA53.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hamrag said:

And no mention of caviar being served, even once a week....

We have 7 YC cruises under our belts and, whilst none were perfect (nor is Seabourn), there is little that has been reported on the OP 4 night cruise has been our experience. This is not typical YC.

The report from BoundForSea really gave me pause.   Seems the 4 night experience pales in comparison to the longer sailings.  It was still a lovely cruise!  Just wanted to share our experience as it happened. Repot the great and the not so great…. Interestingly DH likes the Vibe beach club on NCL more than the 19th floor pool deck and lounge.  It was much more personal….

I can confirm no caviar appeared but it does seem we missed lobster rolls on 19. Big miss!!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, NorthernCouple said:

No argument there, but it still should be MSC's aspiration for YC.

• Do I expect 'anytime you want it caviar'?
    • No. Should it be offered once in 7 days - yes.
  • Do I expect a small boat (<1000 passenger) experience?
    • No, but you should feel like the staff in the YC know you and remember what you like. Once a day, a drink you have previously said was 'great' should show up without asking.
  • Should every staff member know your name?
    • No, but your 'butler' absolutely should.
  • Do I expect the 'butler' to serve a 5 course meal to you in your cabin?
    • No, but your 'butler' should fulfill all the jobs that MSC has designated such as unpacking, pressing, bringing drinks...without your asking.

I really think that there is an opportunity for MSC here. Our MSC trip with 2 adults and 2 kids in a YC Duplex Suite costs the same as a Seabourn entry level room for 2 adults.

It sounds like they are having an HR issue. Hopefully, this will improve with time. MSC is definitely behind on technology and experience though. I also worry about some logistical failures that L1211 mentions. These really shouldn't be happening at this point. They know exactly how many people will be on each sailing. They should be able to statistically predict how much Chardonnay and limes they need to have in the YC.

I think I’d sum it up that service was impersonal. There isn’t anyone anticipating your needs or learning your preferences.  That is likely a factor of the twice a week turn on the current shorter sailings.  I’ll give an example. In the Vibe beach club on NCL the servers learn your names and likes day one.  A wonderful bartender made the a margarita that was life changing - fresh squeezed  orange into the glass, fresh squeezed limes, top shelf tequila, float of Grand Marnier.  It is hard to describe how good that was!  He started squeezing juice when he saw me.  

My first day in the YC lounge, I ask the bartender “do you have any speciality - a drink you recommend?”  He refers me to the menu.  I just say “I’ll just have a margarita - can I get a float if grand marnier”?  He tells me that is not  included and makes no other suggestion.  I get a crappy margarita made from a mix… a microcosm of the overall experience! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, L1211 said:

I think I’d sum it up that service was impersonal. There isn’t anyone anticipating your needs or learning your preferences.  That is likely a factor of the twice a week turn on the current shorter sailings.  I’ll give an example. In the Vibe beach club on NCL the servers learn your names and likes day one.  A wonderful bartender made the a margarita that was life changing - fresh squeezed  orange into the glass, fresh squeezed limes, top shelf tequila, float of Grand Marnier.  It is hard to describe how good that was!  He started squeezing juice when he saw me.  

My first day in the YC lounge, I ask the bartender “do you have any speciality - a drink you recommend?”  He refers me to the menu.  I just say “I’ll just have a margarita - can I get a float if grand marnier”?  He tells me that is not  included and makes no other suggestion.  I get a crappy margarita made from a mix… a microcosm of the overall experience! 

Excellent example...anyone at MSC reading this?

Read Beauty And The Beast GIF (GIF Image)

Thanks for posting, this has brought back some memories of Mera for me. Pre-shutdown (May '19), there were still issues with long wait times in the YC bar, issues getting a wine aside from the pre-selected options in the dining room, a reluctant butler and some other issues I've just been reminded of. Menus are pretty much unchanged. It doesn't seem like a lot has changed, yet at the same time so much has changed.

FWIW - I love the caramelised pearl onions and I am craving them again!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, NorthernCouple said:

• No, but you should feel like the staff in the YC know you and remember what you like. Once a day, a drink you have previously said was 'great' should show up without asking.
    • No, but your 'butler' should fulfill all the jobs that MSC has designated such as unpacking, pressing, bringing drinks...without your asking.

I really think that there is an opportunity for MSC here. Our MSC trip with 2 adults and 2 kids in a YC Duplex Suite costs the same as a Seabourn entry level room for 2 adults.

It sounds like they are having an HR issue. Hopefully, this will improve with time. MSC is definitely behind on technology and experience though. I also worry about some logistical failures that L1211 mentions. These really shouldn't be happening at this point. They know exactly how many people will be on each sailing. They should be able to statistically predict how much Chardonnay and limes they need to have in the YC.

If those are your expectations you will be disappointed. MSC is amazing, but don’t think it will be anything like Seabourn. JMHO

• Like 1

1 hour ago, christa920 said:

If those are your expectations you will be disappointed. MSC is amazing, but don’t think it will be anything like Seabourn. JMHO

I completely agree with you. I think that I will have to find happiness where it presents itself.

That being said - I think MSC has a real opportunity to capture a specific and profitable market. Based on the OP's experience, I feel like they are failing.

So...close

GIF by Nat Geo Wild (GIF Image)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NorthernCouple said:

I completely agree with you. I think that I will have to find happiness where it presents itself.

That being said - I think MSC has a real opportunity to capture a specific and profitable market. Based on the OP's experience, I feel like they are failing.

So...close

GIF by Nat Geo Wild (GIF Image)

This will be our 5th cruise on MSC.  Our 4th on Mera. We honestly haven’t had any bad experiences!!! But again, we don’t look for problems! We always keep an open mind and go with the flow. We have become friends with a few of the crew we have gotten to know.  Our butler and assistant have always called us by our name.  We let them know ahead of time what we would like during the week. Some people want more, some people want less.  They aren’t mind readers. Also, as far as the liquor selection, we have never had an issue on Mera!  Rudolph knew I loved this sparkling rose and he was able to get as many bottles to bring to YC.  I guess it’s all what you make of it and how you treat people.  

• Like 3

7 hours ago, NorthernCouple said:

Good. More room for me. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Captain-John said:

Thanks for posting, this has brought back some memories of Mera for me. Pre-shutdown (May '19), there were still issues with long wait times in the YC bar, issues getting a wine aside from the pre-selected options in the dining room, a reluctant butler and some other issues I've just been reminded of. Menus are pretty much unchanged. It doesn't seem like a lot has changed, yet at the same time so much has changed.

FWIW - I love the caramelised pearl onions and I am craving them again!

Ha!  Those onions were a tough sell.  They were often the last offering available.  I should have tried them!!