Does this sound possible for Santorini?

sara365

Details: Arriving on May 24 at 8:00am and leaving at 10:00pm

Note:  There are 5 ships in port that day - 8,990 passengers with 2,902 arrival at 7:00am and the remaining 6,088 at 8:00am.  Departure times are 6:00pm -1952, 6:30pm - 2826, 9:00pm - 148, (one ship doesn't have a time shown for departure - 950 passengers) and so only the 3114 are possibly looking to leave at 10:00pm if every person on our ship was waiting until the end of the night.

Extra Information:  We are going to be on a Royal Caribbean ship and have The Key (priority tendering is part of this perk).  I would like to take the cable car to Fira as early as we can possibly do that, but am thinking it will be at least 9:00am before we reach Fira (is even that too early to plan on arriving there?).  

Our plan is to do the hike from Fira to Oia - based on research I think this will take 3-4 hours with stopping to take photos, and just in general enjoying and not rushing.  If this is the case, we hopefully would be reaching Oia around 12:30 - 1:00 pm.  

When we get to Oia, we would want to get something to eat, but not a huge meal.   I'd really love to go down to Ammoudi Bay if we get to Oia early enough, but would like suggestions on where to eat a light snack and get a drink after that hike.

We are then going to be picked up for a private tour (at the taxi station in Oia) at 2:30pm.  This 6 hour tour will be taking us all over the rest of the island (including the lighthouse, Megalochori, Mt. of Prophet Elias, Black Sand Beach with the option of getting an early dinner in the area, etc.) and then dropping us off at the cable car at 8:30pm.

My question is if this sounds possible, or if I am pushing it to get back to the ship before the 10:00pm departure time.  I'm okay with a busy day, we are prepared for the 6 mile hike, I want to see as much of the island as possible and avoid the crowds as much as we can.  I'm just concerned about that cable car getting us to the port and then getting on the tender if we don't head to the line until 8:30pm.

I'd appreciate any insight or thoughts from those of you are more experienced with Santorini from a cruise ship.  Thanks!

Given the crowds I've encountered on my last couple of visits to Santorini, such timing would make me a bit nervous. Keep in mind that many ships advise that their last tender is scheduled ONE HOUR prior to cruise departure. If that is the case for you, you are leaving yourself only half an hour to get from the top of Fira to the tender point (e.g., if your ship's last tender is at 9pm).

The cable car can only transport 600 people per hour (in each direction)....

We arrived at the cable car to get back to the ship and there was a 90 minute queue. Concerned about this we walked down the pathway to the bottom, it took us half an hour but was really bad on the knees!

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/19/2023 at 11:42 AM, dronnygirl said:

We arrived at the cable car to get back to the ship and there was a 90 minute queue. Concerned about this we walked down the pathway to the bottom, it took us half an hour but was really bad on the knees!

I would agree that a risk to consider is a long line for the cable car back down at the end of the day.  During one of our visits, there was a huge line at the cable car at the end of the day to get back down so we also hiked it back down instead risking missing the last tender.  It's obviously kind of scary when you're at the back of the line and the queue is not moving very fast and you're trying to make a decision to wait it out or run down the pathway!  We look back at it with amusement now but at the time, we had to hike back down in the dark with our cell phone flashlights providing some illumination while dodging the odd donkey droppings.

On 3/16/2023 at 7:33 PM, sara365 said:

Our plan is to do the hike from Fira to Oia - based on research I think this will take 3-4 hours with stopping to take photos, and just in general enjoying and not rushing.

That's approximately how long it took us while taking our time.  Obviously bring a hat and liquids as you are very exposed to the sun.

On 3/16/2023 at 10:33 PM, sara365 said:

My question is if this sounds possible, or if I am pushing it to get back to the ship before the 10:00pm departure time.  I'm okay with a busy day, we are prepared for the 6 mile hike, I want to see as much of the island as possible and avoid the crowds as much as we can.  I'm just concerned about that cable car getting us to the port and then getting on the tender if we don't head to the line until 8:30pm.

I do not see much of a reason for concern. 

From your itinerary it is obvious that you like hiking.  We are in our late 50s, not in the top shape, and we had 0 problem walking up the Fira stairs or back down. Walking down is a pleasant casual 20 minute stroll.  Leave the cable car to the infirm, too old, or too young. 

• Like 1

On 3/31/2023 at 9:01 PM, pdmlynek said:

I do not see much of a reason for concern. 

From your itinerary it is obvious that you like hiking.  We are in our late 50s, not in the top shape, and we had 0 problem walking up the Fira stairs or back down. Walking down is a pleasant casual 20 minute stroll.  Leave the cable car to the infirm, too old, or too young. 

How long did it take to walk up the stairs?

My data point:  Me as a lazy desk jockey, took a hurried 17 minutes from the bottom of the stairs to the top (and another 4 minutes to reach the cable car area).  I wasn't carrying anything though as the missus took my backpack with her up the cable car with our friends.  I think a more leisurely pace would be 30-45 minutes.  As with the hike along the rim of the caldera, prepare for sun exposure.  

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Milhouse said:

My data point:  Me as a lazy desk jockey, took a hurried 17 minutes from the bottom of the stairs to the top (and another 4 minutes to reach the cable car area).  I wasn't carrying anything though as the missus took my backpack with her up the cable car with our friends.  I think a more leisurely pace would be 30-45 minutes.  As with the hike along the rim of the caldera, prepare for sun exposure.  

Impressive for a lazy desk jockey!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...