Hotspot for wifi

Annesharlie

On 3/18/2023 at 6:44 AM, VMax1700 said:

I vaguely remember a post some years ago by @POA1 which explain how he connected a wireless router and was able to use it for two devices simultaneously.

Maybe he kept the his instruction manual filed somewhere?  Though at $10 to connect a second device, I don't think I would bother with the router.

The $10 for a 2nd device is the way to go.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've successfully used a portable wireless router to share a HAL internet connection between two devices.  It was a bit fiddly to set up but worked well when the devises were located near each other.  Now, we simply bite the bullet and purchase two internet packages so we don't have to be together for both to use the internet.

• Like 1

On 3/20/2023 at 8:51 PM, Annesharlie said:

Per 

If that's the case, the router is a much better option. I have a TP-Link N300 which sells for $29.99.

https://amzn.to/3ne3L9v

There may be a newer model. It's USB powered and runs all day on a little lipstick battery. If you buy one, set it up at home first. Also, use the built in site survey utility to pick an uncrowded channel on the ship.

Mine is from 2016, so there is likely a newer model.

On 3/21/2023 at 2:44 AM, Btimmer said:

I've successfully used a portable wireless router to share a HAL internet connection between two devices.  It was a bit fiddly to set up but worked well when the devises were located near each other.  Now, we simply bite the bullet and purchase two internet packages so we don't have to be together for both to use the internet.

We buy two plans - but I use my laptop to create a hotspot in my cabin so I can use my phone and Ipad at the same time while in my cabin.   Using Windows 10 to create a mobile hotpsot is easier for me than a travel router.  I have several routers but no longer bring them.   HERE is how to do it

If you don't bring a laptop, then the travel router is the way to go..

Edited by The-Inside-Cabin
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Many phones will allow you to create a hotspot from a wifi network that you are connected to in addition to creating a hotspot via cellular service. 

As others said above, do not use cellular service on board due to cost. The best thing to do is to keep your phone in airplane mode when onboard, and then turn on Wifi while still in airplane mode. Log into the wifi as you normally would. 

From there, you can try creating a hotspot. Make sure airplane mode stays on. 

You should be able to test this at home to figure it out before you go and see if your particular phone will do it. 

• Thanks 1

Wifi makes transoceanic trips easier as you can still do banking, email etc.  That said, sharing one account isn't so bad.  It helps you spend less time on screens and more time enjoying the cruise.  Just my two cents. 

6 hours ago, crbonfiber said:

So you recommend stealing? Do you also steal from the ship stores and spa??

No, I don't recommend stealing because that is against the law and the rules.  But sharing an internet account using a router/laptop/phone is not against the law or against the rules. 

If you consider that stealing, then my wife and I should also take separate taxis instead of sharing one.

Yes, HAL missing out om some money but that is different from stealing from the ship stores and spa. If it was, then taking your own photos onboard and not buying them from the ship's photographer is also stealing. Taking your own sunscreen onboard instead of buying it from the ship's store would also be stealing. And taking 3rd party excursions instead of using HAL's excursion would also be stealing. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, bchandler02 said:

As others said above, do not use cellular service on board due to cost. The best thing to do is to keep your phone in airplane mode when onboard, and then turn on Wifi while still in airplane mode.

In addition to this I will also be disabling Roaming and changing the network selection from Automatic to Manual. Combined with the airplane mode that should prevent my phone from ever accidentally connecting to the ship's cellular service. Maybe a bit paranoid but better safe than sorry.

On 3/22/2023 at 5:20 PM, POA1 said:

If that's the case, the router is a much better option. I have a TP-Link N300 which sells for $29.99.

https://amzn.to/3ne3L9v

There may be a newer model.

The TL-WR902AC is a new model, only costs USD 10 more and supports dual band. As far as I can tell from the TP-Link website it is the latest model travel router they've got. 

I always bring a laptop.  Once you're connected to the ship's Wi-Fi, click on network connections.  Click on "Hot-Spot".  Click on Edit Settings.  Put in a password you can remember.  Switch on the Hot-Spot.  You should see the Hot-Spot name on your phone's ( or tablet's) available connections.  Enter the password, and you are connected.  You can check your laptop's WAN IP address, that will be issued by the ship's DHCP router.  If you check your phone's IP address, you will see that it's not the same subnet as your laptop.  That will prove that your laptop is acting like a router, and issuing your phone a completely different IP.  The ship will only be authorizing one device connection on your account, even though you have 2 devices connected.  But remember, with the "Surf" level of plan that your HIA package provides, your bandwidth is throttled down to a level that only one device would normally be using.  You may experience buffering and sluggish response if both devices are browsing at the same time.

13 hours ago, firsttimer1971 said:

The TL-WR902AC is a new model, only costs USD 10 more and supports dual band. As far as I can tell from the TP-Link website it is the latest model travel router they've got. 

Thanks.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, firsttimer1971 said:

Lots of terrible Amazon reviews of this updated router.

17 minutes ago, firsttimer1971 said:

Most of the reviews are 4 or 5 star with an overall rating of 4 stars. 

I found this through a (Dutch) tech site and most users were happy with it. 

You are correct but 29% of Amazon purchasers gave this updated router 3* or below for reliability . As for me, I don't normally buy anything that is not rated by Amazon purchasers as 80% four or five stars.  Others may rely on technical reviews and not customer reviews.

• Like 1

On 3/18/2023 at 7:44 PM, VMax1700 said:

I vaguely remember a post some years ago by @POA1 which explain how he connected a wireless router and was able to use it for two devices simultaneously.

Maybe he kept the his instruction manual filed somewhere?  Though at $10 to connect a second device, I don't think I would bother with the router.

I think that would be $10 a day?  So, for example, if on a 42 day cruise one would ONLY pay $420 for that connection (if it were truly $10 a day).  A decent "wisp" router should cost less than $50.  If it works (and that is a big if) it would be a pretty good option.

On 3/18/2023 at 6:25 AM, 0106 said:

FYI-I did a transatlantic on the Oosterdam in November.  The internet barely worked during the crossing.  Best time was very early in the morning but still unable to send photos.  Streaming and video calls were impossible.  Even the officers were joking about it.  I stayed connected by sending brief iMessages before I went to sleep.  I keep hearing about Star Link but I have no idea if HAL has stated connecting their ships.

Just curious. Did Holland America offer any kind of adjustment for this? Seems very unfair to charge full price and then not provide the service paid for. I am doing the transatlantic crossing on the Oosterdam on April 10. 

26 minutes ago, 0106 said:

@dogcanyonI had the HIA package.  I do not remember receiving any type of compensation.  It worked, just not very well.

Thanks for responding. Just to be fair, the Holland America web site describes the Surf Package (Included with HIA) as being for web surfing and emails and does state that audio/video features in messaging apps are not supported, so the fact that video and streaming calls were impossible is not really surprising. The Premium Package states that it is fast enough for audio and video streaming. 

https://www.hollandamerica.com/en_US/onboard-packages/cruise-ship-wifi.html

https://www.hollandamerica.com/en_US/deals/have-it-all/have-it-all-upgrade.html

• Like 1

The key to using your own router is to set it up and test it at home first. Use it to span your home wifi so you can work out the details. You don't want to be wasting valuable vacation time troubleshooting your equipment.

I set my router up once and have used it on HAL, Norwegian, in hotels and convention centers.

Depending on where your cabin in with respect to the ship's hotspots, you may have to place it closer to the door or the window. There's a signal strength utility to help you find placement. I try to keep the client side radio on a low use 2.4 GHz channel if possible. The lower frequency penetrates obstacles better. You're not that worried about throughput on a ship. The overall ship's network speed is the gating factor.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, POA1 said:

The key to using your own router is to set it up and test it at home first. Use it to span your home wifi so you can work out the details. You don't want to be wasting valuable vacation time troubleshooting your equipment.

I set my router up once and have used it on HAL, Norwegian, in hotels and convention centers.

Depending on where your cabin in with respect to the ship's hotspots, you may have to place it closer to the door or the window. There's a signal strength utility to help you find placement. I try to keep the client side radio on a low use 2.4 GHz channel if possible. The lower frequency penetrates obstacles better. You're not that worried about throughput on a ship. The overall ship's network speed is the gating factor.

Question for you.  Yes, I have my travel router working fine at home.  However, my home doesn't require having to "connect" to the ships internet by logging into a webpage.  If that is required, I don't see a way to do that on the mentioned travel router.  I'll be able to try it on an upcoming hotel stay which also requires one to connect via webpage to get internet.

-gregma

1 hour ago, gregma60 said:

Question for you.  Yes, I have my travel router working fine at home.  However, my home doesn't require having to "connect" to the ships internet by logging into a webpage.  If that is required, I don't see a way to do that on the mentioned travel router.  I'll be able to try it on an upcoming hotel stay which also requires one to connect via webpage to get internet.

-gregma

On mine, there are two ways to do it. One is to open the built in browser on the router. The second, and the one I use is to connect to the router by LAN cable and then login to the ship's WiFi via the router. After doing that, I can disconnect the LAN cable and do everything wirelessly. The ship "sees" the MAC address of the router and uses that address to recognize the connection.

If your home internet has a guest mode, test with it. Most cable modems do. Many DSL connections do as well.