First Time NCL guest - specialty dining question

mary_228

My confirmation shows "[2] Specialty Dining Package w/Service Charge", and an associciated cost that was charged to me of $17.80 per person.

When I reviewed the specialty restaurants on my sailing on POA, some have cover charges and others a la carte. I need help understanding the "value" of the package in each of these options. Using the service charge, calculated at 20%, it would appear that $89 is the value. If I am corrrect, I can order up to $89 in an a la carte restaurant? The cover charge restaurants price of $59 would of course be a lower service charge, but I have been billed already. Does my pre-payment of the service charge mean that I will not get a 20% charge added which is mentioned on the menu, unless I go over those amounts?

5 minutes ago, casofilia said:

@mary_228

It means that you are able to have 2 meals at the Specialty Restaurants of your choice with the only time that you may have any extra charge is with the "Upcharge" mains.   Other than that it will be free.

Thank you. I now notice the particular items that have a supplement to the dining package listed. So one may order a five course meal and pay nothing extra?

I noticed that on the East Meets West menu (not a specialty restaurant), sushi is extra but most things are not. Can I dine there eating only the free items? I love most of the starters and soups.

@mary_228

I now notice the particular items that have a supplement to the dining package listed. So one may order a five course meal and pay nothing extra?    Yes; so long as you are ready for extra if order the "upcharge" item; if you think that you can eat a full  course meal!!!

I noticed that on the East Meets West menu (not a specialty restaurant), sushi is extra but most things are not. Can I dine there eating only the free items? I love most of the starters and soups.   I have no idea of the East Meets West restaurant but, if it is like the Jasmine Restaurant on ships we have been on, the Sushi is well away from the rest of the restaurant.

Things change fast at NCL, but last month on Getaway if you were using your Specialty Dining credit at the a la carte restaurants, you were able to get 1 app, 1 salad, 1 entrée (some options may have an upcharge) and 1 dessert.   You were not able to sub  say an  app for a salad (or vice versa).    It was 1 of each.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mary_228 said:

My confirmation shows "[2] Specialty Dining Package w/Service Charge", and an associciated cost that was charged to me of $17.80 per person.

When I reviewed the specialty restaurants on my sailing on POA, some have cover charges and others a la carte. I need help understanding the "value" of the package in each of these options. Using the service charge, calculated at 20%, it would appear that $89 is the value. If I am corrrect, I can order up to $89 in an a la carte restaurant? The cover charge restaurants price of $59 would of course be a lower service charge, but I have been billed already. Does my pre-payment of the service charge mean that I will not get a 20% charge added which is mentioned on the menu, unless I go over those amounts?

The "Gratuity" is based on the retail price of purchasing a 2-dinner package retail. It does not limit you on your restaurant choices or what you order.

For fixed price/cover charge restaurants, you package covers the cost of the meal.

For a la carte restaurants (with prices for each item): An SDP meal in a la carte restaurants includes 1 appetizer, 1 soup or salad, 1 main course and 1 dessert (does not apply to cover charge restaurants or Food Republic, Pincho Tapas Bar and Sushi, where a meal includes any 4 menu items). No sharing or to go orders permitted. SDP does not include beverages and additional and/or premium menu items will incur charges.

If an menu item has a supplemental upcharge (e.g., lobster), you can order the item, but will pay the upcharge + 20% grats on the upcharge. 

Edited by BirdTravels
  • Like 1

Daughter and granddaughter ate at wasabi (sushi place) on breakaway . It was covered with dinning package. They were hallowed 4 items.

your best bet is to always ask what is covered if they don’t automatically tell you.

you can go the NCL app (download ahead and it keeps you updated o things) and make your dining reservations 125 days ahead of cruise.  Sushi restaurant on breakaway did not take reservation.

• Like 1

Anything that has an upcharge listed (lobster tail, filet at some places, etc) you WILL be charged extra for. But other than that, you will receive a bill for what the cost would have been - and then see a line item making it back to $0 with no charge. The gratuity is already covered when you added on the dining package, but you can leave additional if you want. No need to feel obligated as you already did it though.

What you can get depends on the restaurant you choose, but as bird said above it's typically 2 things from the 'left' side of the menu, 1 main with up to 2 sides, and a dessert. Just let the servers know you're using your dining credit and they'll help you sort out what is included. 

• Like 1

Reservations  are required for Specialty Dining. Reservations opens online 120 days prior to departure (130 days if you are in a suite, 125 for top-tier Latitude members and Club Balcony rooms). Prime time dining reservations, especially on sea days, sell out quickly, so make those reservations as soon as they open. 

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I have a similar issue that I can't get an answer to. I am booked on NCL Jewel to Alaska and am in the process of booking restaurants. The problem I am having is with Teppanyaki, which is a cover charge venue. I am intending to use a Specialty Dining Package to pay for this, but when I try to book it (I tried both online and by calling), I am being charged the full cover charge of $140 just to book a reservation.

No one (including the NCL agent I spoke with) seems to be able to explain to me if the cover charge will be refunded when we actually have the meal on board or if I will have to pay the cover charge even with the SDP. Can someone tell me how this is supposed to work?

31 minutes ago, Old_Chap said:

I have a similar issue that I can't get an answer to. I am booked on NCL Jewel to Alaska and am in the process of booking restaurants. The problem I am having is with Teppanyaki, which is a cover charge venue. I am intending to use a Specialty Dining Package to pay for this, but when I try to book it (I tried both online and by calling), I am being charged the full cover charge of $140 just to book a reservation.

No one (including the NCL agent I spoke with) seems to be able to explain to me if the cover charge will be refunded when we actually have the meal on board or if I will have to pay the cover charge even with the SDP. Can someone tell me how this is supposed to work?

That should not happen.  Would you happen to be Platinum or above and already reserved your two specialties?  If so, that could be the issue.  The online system doesn’t recognize the Platinum vouchers.  You should always book the foxed price restaurants first.  There won’t be a charge up front for the a la carte restaurants regardless.  But if you’ve already made reservations in excess of your FAS meals before you reserve the fixed charge restaurants (Teppanyaki and Moderno), they will make you pay it up front.  I made this mistake once and had to call NCL to get it right.

47 minutes ago, Old_Chap said:

Teppanyaki needed to be the first reservation you make. That way, the system assumes it is your SDP dinner and does not charge you. Cancel all and rebook starting with Teppanyaki. You may not get your preferred times back. 

Edited by BirdTravels
  • Like 1

I booked 3 meals at ala carte restaurants, then tried to book Teppanyaki. I also only had two meals on the SDP and was going to purchase the other two later. This must be the problem.

I may be able to get this right if I first buy SDP for the extra meals, or as you suggest, cancel the others and book Teppanyaki first. Since I'm less than 30 days out from departure, I'm not sure I want to try that. 

Could they make this any more complicated?!!