A few general (and CO) dining questions

Tom-n-Cheryl

3 hours ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

I posted the following questions on the (pinned) HAL for Dummies thread a couple of days ago, but didn't get any feedback. So, I'll test the waters here 🙂

>> I saw a question regarding boarding times. Do they assign earlier times based on category and Mariner status? I'm a 1 star, but will be in a Neptune suite.

>> Are the cabins ready to occupy upon embarkation?

>> If there are not loungers on our balcony (aft corner deck 4, certainly large enough), can they be requested and, are they padded?

>> Is the safety briefing the "e-version" now, and what's the process with that?

>> I recall reading that specialty dining will start showing online about 4 months prior to sailing, is that correct?

>> Perhaps I've already asked this (might have been among my "new to MSC" posts for an upcoming sailing on that line), but can one request a kettle in their suite in order to heat water for tea?

Nobody can figure out the boarding time assignments time.  Historically, those with mobility issues (and their families) are the first to board, Pinnacle/Neptune suites and 4 & 5 Star Mariners next, and then those seated in the terminal by arrival times follow.

Staterooms are available upon embarkation.

Two padded loungers are included in aft Neptune suites.

Passenger safety briefing currently includes watching a video and then going to your muster station to have your stateroom card scanned.  FWIW your TV will not tune to any other channel until the safety video is played....whether you watch it is another story.

Specialty dining reservations open about four months from sailing date.

Heating devices, including kettles, are prohibited in staterooms.  Neptune suites have coffeemakers included.  There is an approved hair dryer provided.

Edited by Crew News

2 minutes ago, Crew News said:

Nobody can figure out the boarding time assignments time.  Historically, those with mobility issues (and their families) are the first to board, Pinnacle/Neptune suites and 4 & 5 Star Mariners next, and then those seated in the terminal by arrival times follow.

Staterooms are available upon embarkation.

Two padded loungers are included in aft Neptune suites.

Passenger safety briefing currently includes watching a video and then going to your muster station to have your stateroom card scanned.  FWIW your TV will not tune to any other channel until the safety video is played....whether you watch it is another story.

Heating devices, including kettles are prohibited in staterooms.  Neptune suites have coffeemakers included.

Much thanks 🙂

I'm guessing that HAL (being Carnival corp) follows their lead in that regard (kettles). At least HAL offers up coffee makers in some suites. Carnival almost did (with the Excel class of ships), right up until a few weeks before she sailed they were showing - for the first time ever - coffee makers in the excel/presidential suites. They did an about face and pulled those, changing the amenities list online - but not before I captured an image of before/after. Oh well, it was nice while it lasted, LOL.

I've dealt with "kettle free" life on Carnival, but always look forward to them on Celebrity, NCL, and Royal.

Tom

2 minutes ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

Much thanks 🙂

I'm guessing that HAL (being Carnival corp) follows their lead in that regard (kettles). At least HAL offers up coffee makers in some suites. Carnival almost did (with the Excel class of ships), right up until a few weeks before she sailed they were showing - for the first time ever - coffee makers in the excel/presidential suites. They did an about face and pulled those, changing the amenities list online - but not before I captured an image of before/after. Oh well, it was nice while it lasted, LOL.

I've dealt with "kettle free" life on Carnival, but always look forward to them on Celebrity, NCL, and Royal.

Tom

Room Service will bring a pot of hot water 24/7 or the 24/7 beverage station in the Lido Market Buffet is about four minutes away via elevator.  Filling a good thermos with hot water just before retiring for the evening will ensure hot water for tea when you awaken.

• Like 1

On 3/20/2023 at 2:55 PM, Florida_gal_50 said:

I found the lines to be very, very long at the Dutch cafe and explorations on the Koningsdam in November.  I was lucky if it was only a 20 min wait.  It didn't help that each person seemed to be getting a number of coffees each and not simple coffee that just get poured into a cup and done.

That was our experience on the Koningsdam also when we sailed to Norway, although this was prior to the pandemic.  It was so busy there that we simply skipped it.  We will be sailing on the ship again this May and will be trying again, but if not, will default to the Explorations Cafe.

1 minute ago, cbr663 said:

That was our experience on the Koningsdam also when we sailed to Norway, although this was prior to the pandemic.  It was so busy there that we simply skipped it.  We will be sailing on the ship again this May and will be trying again, but if not, will default to the Explorations Cafe.

I usually went to explorations and it was bad.  This was last November 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

Thanks for the heads up.  Keeping fingers crossed that it won't be that much work to get a decent coffee.  😀

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

I was on the Koningsdam in November (Thanksgiving week) and the wait wasn't long at all at 7 a.m.!  It certainly paid to be the 'early  bird' on that cruise!  🙂

30 minutes ago, mjmagee said:

Is room service coffee terrible?

Marilyn

Room Service coffee comes from the same coffeemakers that brew coffee for the MDR.  Like food, coffee taste is subjective.  There are also coffee makers in the Lido Market for another option.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Crew News said:

Historically, those with mobility issues (and their families)

you just made my day 🥰 our last cruise NOT HAL , they wanted to board me on my own and live my family in line 🤔 the airline that cruise line booked us on refused to let family board with me , they didn't offer assistance with navagating to my seat ( amputee on crutches ) SO VERY HAPPY 🥰 to hear hubby can  be there to lend a hand 

2 hours ago, fox02554 said:

you just made my day 🥰 our last cruise NOT HAL , they wanted to board me on my own and live my family in line 🤔 the airline that cruise line booked us on refused to let family board with me , they didn't offer assistance with navagating to my seat ( amputee on crutches ) SO VERY HAPPY 🥰 to hear hubby can  be there to lend a hand 

Sad that some companies put such obstacles into place (nobody allowed to board with you, then to top it off they're not offering assistance). 😞

Tom

8 hours ago, fox02554 said:

If HAL knows you need assistance (complete medical form), a wheel chair and pusher will be provided to help you board as well as disembark at the end of your cruise.

Edited by Crew News