Sauna and Ice Room

koalakruiser

First time on Viking and I would be tempted to use the sauna and unique ice room. To avoid too much embarrassment, and being a Norwegian ship, what is the “dress or undress” code for both facilities? I learned the hard way in Japan.

1 minute ago, koalakruiser said:

First time on Viking and I would be tempted to use the sauna and unique ice room. To avoid too much embarrassment, and being a Norwegian ship, what is the “dress or undress” code for both facilities? I learned the hard way in Japan.

Swimsuit. That’s it!😀

2 hours ago, koalakruiser said:

First time on Viking and I would be tempted to use the sauna and unique ice room. 

First-timers must begin with tipping the bucket of cold water above your head onto yourself.  

It's a rule!  😉

[ I screamed out loud... ] 

• Haha 4

8 hours ago, SempreMare said:

First-timers must begin with tipping the bucket of cold water above your head onto yourself.  

It's a rule!  😉

[ I screamed out loud... ] 

Tipping the bucket? PFFT! You must dump that sucka in its entirety so as to get the full invigorating effect. WOOH BUDDY, Now I'm awake! 😊

• Haha 1

Have done this three times now, Into the Midnight Sun, Iceland, Australia/New Zealand last month.  Go into the sauna for several minutes, then the ice room for as long as you can stand it (you are so hot form sauna it feels good).  Back to the Sauna.  Do this three times in each then into the heated pool.  You can wear you clothes to the locker room and change in there.  They have robes and slippers and locker and a centrifuge to dry out your suit.  There is an ice bath and sauna in the male and female locker rooms.  Some folks use these to go without clothes, not me. This is a hidden gem, so never crowded. No reservation, no charge.  Everyone so friendly.

• Like 5

I have never seen someone without clothes in the sauna or cold pool in the women's locker room and we use the Spa frequently.  I have seen it VERY crowded it must depend  on the cruise ...and how many sea days!  I never tip the bucket on my head.  Make sure to wear shoes into the snow room it can be VERY icy and take in a towel to sit on.

On 3/20/2023 at 12:07 PM, LindaS272 said:

I go into the snow grotto and count to 30, then get out 🥶

This is my MO too! Although I really like using the bucket on the first day onboard, it is good for getting the circulation going a bit after travel … and then I get back in the warm water :).

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, M.Travels said:

This is my MO too! Although I really like using the bucket on the first day onboard, it is good for getting the circulation going a bit after travel … and then I get back in the warm water :).

Not me! Not going to find me under that bucket willingly! The best I can do is the aforesaid snow grotto for 30 seconds and up to my ankles in the cold pool after the sauna in the locker room! 🥶

• Like 1

1 minute ago, LindaS272 said:

Not me! Not going to find me under that bucket willingly! The best I can do is the aforesaid snow grotto for 30 seconds and up to my ankles in the cold pool after the sauna in the locker room! 🥶

Understandable! The warm options are the most popular for very good reasons … and warm feels so good!!

Someone told me once they like the cold pool, bucket, etc. more on the cold voyages because they are used to the temps outside and I thought that was an interesting way to ponder people’s preferences.