Shareholder OBC and military rate/OBC ?

Tom-n-Cheryl

2 minutes ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

At least it was a toll free call... glass half (well, at least a little bit) full.  🙂

Tom

Can it be one of those glasses in your avatar photo? Sign me up for that....

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, shakuyi said:

At least for the cruise I signed up on the price went up so not worth it to cancel and rebook.

I just checked - the sailing I booked is the same rate, though now instead of a $600 deposit for the cruise, they're running a special for $50. Also, at this point, there's a ADDITIONAL $300 OBC available for "new bookings".

Tom

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

Also, at this point, there's a ADDITIONAL $300 OBC available for "new bookings".

wow definitely don't see that there when I click through to add another room lol

7 minutes ago, shakuyi said:

wow definitely don't see that there when I click through to add another room lol

So, that would net me not only the current $300 OBC promo, but the $100 military on top of that.

To qualify for the $100 military OBC, that must be done via a phone call, and not through their website?

Since it indicated that I was "verified", it would be handy if it applied that online... but then people would not have to put forth any additional effort, not even a single hoop to jump through.

My concern is that I booked a very specific (desirable) cabin. I have this "worst case" scenario vision where - in the intervening few minutes, someone else would snap it up!

Tom

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

So, that would net me not only the current $300 OBC promo, but the $100 military on top of that.

To qualify for the $100 military OBC, that must be done via a phone call, and not through their website?

Since it indicated that I was "verified", it would be handy if it applied that online... but then people would not have to put forth any additional effort, not even a single hoop to jump through.

My concern is that I booked a very specific (desirable) cabin. I have this "worst case" scenario vision where - in the intervening few minutes, someone else would snap it up!

Tom

For the education credit, it shows in our account and supposedly will automatically be applied to a future booking. Under profile, future cruise credits, scroll all the way down, and OBC is listed last.

I would think that if you called your PCC, they could do the swap out without risking your room. 

15 minutes ago, Hllb said:

For the education credit, it shows in our account and supposedly will automatically be applied to a future booking. Under profile, future cruise credits, scroll all the way down, and OBC is listed last.

I would think that if you called your PCC, they could do the swap out without risking your room. 

Thanks.

So, I looked where you mentioned, and nothing is showing for me there yet. Perhaps it will fully process/be there tomorrow.

Tom

2 minutes ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

Thanks.

So, I looked where you mentioned, and nothing is showing for me there yet. Perhaps it will fully process/be there tomorrow.

Tom

It took a full 48 hours for ours to show up.

• Like 2

Why don’t you try emailing Reservations_Submit@hollandamerica.com

I got a reply the following day. It turned out that the private fare we paid invalidated the OBC offer. It was a really good private fare. I was told I can use the OBC for our next cruise.

• Like 1

So, I just received a "Limited-Time Private Sale" flyer in the mail today. It would appear that the sailing we booked is included in their list of sale cruises. It's interesting in that the sale price (suite) is $360 less than what shows online - though that includes "suites starting from..." rates. I assume it's apples to apples.

I'm going to give them a call and test the waters. I assume that I can switch to a new promo rate?

That would be even better than the $300 OBC, assuming everything else remains unchanged.

----- update --- just off the phone with him (my newly assigned PCC, as the one I had - and never dealt with - just left the company), and it appears that he's going to be able to reprice my booking at the Private Sale rate. All said and done, I'll be about $450 ahead (even after adding back in the everything included -- or whatever it's called) and on top of that he said he'd be able to get the military OBC applied as well, so that's icing on the cake.

🙂

Tom

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

So, I just received a "Limited-Time Private Sale" flyer in the mail today. It would appear that the sailing we booked is included in their list of sale cruises. It's interesting in that the sale price (suite) is $360 less than what shows online - though that includes "suites starting from..." rates. I assume it's apples to apples.

I'm going to give them a call and test the waters. I assume that I can switch to a new promo rate?

That would be even better than the $300 OBC, assuming everything else remains unchanged.

----- update --- just off the phone with him (my newly assigned PCC, as the one I had - and never dealt with - just left the company), and it appears that he's going to be able to reprice my booking at the Private Sale rate. All said and done, I'll be about $450 ahead (even after adding back in the everything included -- or whatever it's called) and on top of that he said he'd be able to get the military OBC applied as well, so that's icing on the cake.

🙂

Tom

Great news!  Congrats!

-gregma

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/21/2023 at 7:52 AM, cruisetravlr said:

Yes, they can be combined. We have done so numerous times.

What about using the Educator's $100 OBC along with the Shareholders OBC?  Holland America will not award an Educator's OBC to both my husband and me at the same time, and we are both eligible.

4 minutes ago, mrspdp said:

What about using the Educator's $100 OBC along with the Shareholders OBC?  Holland America will not award an Educator's OBC to both my husband and me at the same time, and we are both eligible.

If you read the very fine print it says something about 1 $100 OBC per cabin. I'm a retired educator, a veteran and my wife is a veteran. We can only claim 1 of those credits per cabin. The Shareholders OBC we get to claim that credit.

13 minutes ago, Eaglecw said:

If you read the very fine print it says something about 1 $100 OBC per cabin. I'm a retired educator, a veteran and my wife is a veteran. We can only claim 1 of those credits per cabin. The Shareholders OBC we get to claim that credit.

I think you are saying that you are using your Shareholders OBC which can go up to $250 instead of your Veteran's OBC.  You cannot use both, correct?   The Shareholders would still be useful for longer cruises and stock is at a bargain price right now....I have not bought stock yet.

1 hour ago, mrspdp said:

I think you are saying that you are using your Shareholders OBC which can go up to $250 instead of your Veteran's OBC.  You cannot use both, correct?   The Shareholders would still be useful for longer cruises and stock is at a bargain price right now....I have not bought stock yet.

If one person in a stateroom is a veteran, that person can get the veterans OBC, and if a second person in the stateroom is a shareholder, that second person can get the shareholder OBC.  At least that has worked for us.  the veteran and shareholder OBC are the same amount.  One person can’t get both the veteran and the shareholder.  And if you have two shareholders in the stateroom, you can only get the shareholder OBC for one person.  

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, houstonheels said:

If one person in a stateroom is a veteran, that person can get the veterans OBC, and if a second person in the stateroom is a shareholder, that second person can get the shareholder OBC.  At least that has worked for us.  the veteran and shareholder OBC are the same amount.  One person can’t get both the veteran and the shareholder.  And if you have two shareholders in the stateroom, you can only get the shareholder OBC for one person.  

Thank you, seems I could get one and hubby get the other.  I will double check with my PCC.

• 11 months later...

Anyone know how to claim military benefit on Holland America please?  I feel like I'm wading through treacle.  With Princess it wasn't a problem and just gets added automatically now but struggling with HAL.  Any help appreciated....... (am in the UK)

Daisy

4 hours ago, Daisyc3cjs said:

Anyone know how to claim military benefit on Holland America please?  I feel like I'm wading through treacle.  With Princess it wasn't a problem and just gets added automatically now but struggling with HAL.  Any help appreciated....... (am in the UK)

Daisy

It was automatically applied for me but I made sure I was verified before I booked. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/13/2024 at 3:07 AM, bajae said:

It was automatically applied for me but I made sure I was verified before I booked. 

Many thanks for your response.  It is verified and always applied automatically when we've sailed Princess and has been for another later in the year.  However, it hasn't been added yet for HAL although I've sorted out the share benefit.  Just wondering who to email as I've tried HAL but not having much luck....

Daisy

• 2 weeks later...

The OBCs can be quite confusing. We are entitled to military, teachers, shareholders, AARP and have experienced having at least one left off and not given to us. It's very difficult to tell from their invoices as everything is lumped together, even worse if you are working through a travel agent as HAL won't always discuss the booking directly. We have been told some of these are not combinable but then a different agent may say they are combinable!

Then add the confusion of various promos and  'all included', it indeed takes follow-up.

I do find their customer service department when reached through email is usually very helpful and responsive.

One other point. I do not like their practice of bringing a glass of wine to the table already poured, without seeing the bottle. Also, they seem to have gotten rid of all the wine stewards and now the waiters have to handle the drinks as well as all their other duties.

17 minutes ago, samofam said:

...Also, they seem to have gotten rid of all the wine stewards and now the waiters have to handle the drinks as well as all their other duties.

That happened many years ago on Carnival... it's the trickle down effect.

Tom