I couldn’t believe the story about NCL

Oldsweets

I have payments coming due on three upcoming cruises.  Three pre-pays of DSC to avoid the price increase and one final cruise payment.  After following this thread, I just called NCL today and paid over the phone with my CC.  Was on hold for about 3 minutes and talked to a very pleasant agent.  It's all good at this point! 😎

So, I just completed check-in this morning for my next cruise and I naturally thought about this thread when the check-in steps got to the point where you are asked about adding transfers to and from the ship.

Anyway, no idea if this is happened in this instance, but.... I could see someone indicate during check-in they want a transfer, and depending on how the system handles payment or an attempt to unselect the transfer, how either the customer or the system could get confused - because,

1) Does it ask for payment for that immediately? A step or two later you add in your credit card for your onboard account - could someone think that CC entry will take care of the payment?

2) If you say "yes", but see the price and decide not to purchase, what happens if you don't clear that step and reset it to "no", can you go on to the next steps in the process and not realize that has triggered a pending transaction?

So was curious if anyone added transfer at check-in - if so do you recall if it opened up another window for your cart or ask for payment then and there before you could continue or go back to another step in check-in? If you see the price and change your mind, does it warn you to reset that to "no" transfers and keep going?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Ozmodiar said:

At risk of being labeled an apologist, I think it is unfair to assume that NCL only resolved this to fend off negative PR, or to imply that this policy was some scheme to purposely rip people off instead of an unintended consequence. It sometimes takes a while for a new, unique issue to make it up to a level where someone can make the right decision in large organizations, especially if the people responding to it initially don't have the authority to make the right decision themselves and the situation is something out of the ordinary.

To the extent that publicity helps things like this get to the right people's attention and not lost, sure that matters - and people shouldn't have to go through hoops to get things to happen - but it is a lot easier for me to believe that the higher-ups didn't even know this was going on, or that the people dealing with it may have been in a position where they had to stick to the policy until they heard back from someone who had authority. Not that everyone at NCL thought this made sense and was fair.

The proof will be in the pudding as they say. If NCL own up to the problem in the ap and makes a change and eliminates the possibility of others being snagged then “‘MAYBE” it wasn’t a policy or poor business decision but rather a opps in the ap.  We will see!  I for one will be watching for some sort of announcement from NCL of an acknowledgement of a fix to the system and without that acknowledgement then Cruuse Critic, Points Guy, Cruise Hive, consumer Groups, Cruise Web Broadcasters, as well as other travel sites all need to pile on and demand a correction to the system.  

• Like 3

Who doesn’t make hard copies or take screen shots of their Paid In Full cruise documents for their records? I always have hard copies of my documents just in case anything goes wrong or if there is a question about anything with the trip. This story makes no sense. All that not paying for a ship transfer means is that you don’t get the ship transfer! The entire cruise isn’t cancelled! One literally has nothing to do with the other. Items left in your cart and not paid for don’t keep you from cruising. They just don’t enable you to use the service that you didn’t pay for. I’ve been on 24 cruises and this situation makes no sense. If NCL had a question about an item in someone’s shopping cart to give them an opportunity to pay for it before it would be deleted, then they would have reached out to the client. If you don’t pay for a service, you simply don’t get that service. 

I saw an update on this story from the You Tuber La Lido Loca and NCL has made things right with this cruiser. 

We have a group of us going on the Encore in July and I just told everyone don’t leave anything in your cart unpaid.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/26/2023 at 11:46 PM, tonit964 said:

don’t leave anything in your cart unpaid

It's never a bad idea to remove items from your cart, but in reality it's any invoice or cruise contract item that this policy affects, examples are:

• Air that was not originally added to the reservation
  • Essential Travel Protection
  • Ground transfers
  • Land items, such as pre and post hotels and cruisetours

Excursions etc won't cause you're cruise to be cancelled.

On 3/22/2023 at 6:12 PM, mjkacmom said:

I have AOL! It was the only way I could keep my Verizon.net email that I’ve had for decades. It’s pretty awful.

Not to hijack this thread but I felt this ☝️ so I had to share! I *hate* the AOL interface with the million advertisements!  What I did was open a new Google email account (Gmail) and then just added my verizon.net email account to my Gmail app  (I can still send email FROM my verizon.net address through the Gmail app.) I have not been to that horrible AOL page in years.