I couldn’t believe the story about NCL

Oldsweets

Did Norwegian Cruise Line really cancel this family’s $5,000 prepaid cruise over a $112 transfer?

yes they did and as a sapphire member and a stock holder we are washing our hands of NCL. Read Michelle Couch-Friedman investigation as the founder and CEO of Consumer Rescue who attempted unsuccessfully to work with NCL to resolve. There is more here - NCL is not cancelling an entire cruise just  items were left on the cart (unless those transfers were required for the cruise).  I've left items in cart multiple times on NCL and others and have yet to not sail.  Based on this article: https://consumerrescue.org/cruise-fiascos/norwegian-cruise-line-cancel-familys-cruise-over-ground-transfer/ - this is unacceptable

I did see it. There has got to be more to this story. I'm not buying that those transfers were only in the cart. She had to have started the checkout process and not completed it which turned it into a pending transaction that was not paid. That's my guess. 
With that said, if that was not the case and NCL did try to cover this up as the story implies, I hope she sues. I get their policy, but it's kind of BS. I can see cancelling a cruise for non payment of the cruise, but not the add ons. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Uff da said:

I did see it. There has got to be more to this story. I'm not buying that those transfers were only in the cart. She had to have started the checkout process and not completed it which turned it into a pending transaction that was not paid. That's my guess. 
With that said, if that was not the case and NCL did try to cover this up as the story implies, I hope she sues. I get their policy, but it's kind of BS. I can see cancelling a cruise for non payment of the cruise, but not the add ons. 

Yes there must be more to the story.  No one can recall emails from my email accounts.  If AOL allows that get another email provider. (Does anyone still use AOL???)

Also no mention of an attempt to contact any of the executive team at NCL.

Edited by davencl
  • Like 2

I also was a disbeliever and only posted after reading the story by the consumer advocate.  We still use AOL so yep some of us antiques are still breathing.  In the comments under the story the writer says they are moving forward with contacting media outlets.  If this pans out to be true the blow could be serious for NCL.  It will be reason enough for many to avoid NCL and as a minimum why would anyone book anything additional to a booked cruise with the risk of loosing a booking?   

NCL was having problems with their app earlier this year, pretty sure there were several discussions about it.  I had a cruise in mid-Feb and at one point got a balance-due message, for the amount of my DSC.  I had planned to pay it in advance anyway, so paid it and they refunded it - I hadn't actually indicated what I was paying for.  But every time I went to my account during that time, I got a link to pay my balance, which showed as $0.

Recalled email??? Not really a thing as far as I know, at least as far as sending external mail. I heard recently that recalling emails might be coming on some platforms but not currently available.  Attachments are stored on my computer as soon as they are downloaded  - and as pdf, not a link to NCL.

So who knows what really happened.  In my experience, if you put something in your cart, NCL doesn't process anything until you put in the payment info.  My first thought is that it's a glitch because of the payment plan.

This seems very strange. Why does the article keep saying that Encore sailed from Miami on 2/23/2023? That's easy to verify that it's not true. Encore sailed from Miami on 2/19 and on 2/26, but on 2/23 she was docked in the BVIs.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, davencl said:

Yes there must be more to the story.  No one can recall emails from my email accounts.  If AOL allows that get another email provider. (Does anyone still use AOL???)

Also no mention of an attempt to contact any of the executive team at NCL.

I have AOL! It was the only way I could keep my Verizon.net email that I’ve had for decades. It’s pretty awful.

• Haha 1

I would absolutely believe it. We experienced that first hand during Corona. After much efforts and outside help, we finally got our money back. They will try to hide behind their contract at every turn, over and again, even when they their contract isn't even on their side. If there is a way for them to keep your money, they will do it. I also thought Tony's video was a little scattered today. He didn't really explain. I mean, how can you purchase a bus transfer online after final payment, without entering a valid credit card? I guess I am just confused about what really happened, but absolutely not surprised with NCL behavior. To keep thousands of someone else's funds after they have paid for a cruise is wrong. Cancel the unpaid bus transfer, but don't cancel the "paid for" cruise. I mean that doesn't even make any sense to me.

• Like 5

This story is very strange.  

My first reaction is that maybe this was some kind of glitch with the financing program she used, uplift, rather than with NCL.  

Then, as I was reading the article, I was struck by what she said about using the NCL app to look at excursions, etc.  then getting a pop-up regarding transfers from the airport.  I thought that was weird because I don’t think I’ve ever had a pop-up through the app before.  And I don’t think you can even book transfers on the app anyway.  

Something tells me we haven’t heard the whole story about this.

Edited by Hmmcminn
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, thespiritmovesme said:

All of my various confirmations for my next 3 NCL cruises come from "...Miami.pdf" And none of them leave out of Miami. That is where NCL's corporate headquarters are. A very strange story. 

same for me with my future cruises out of NYC, all show miami

i have used aol way back in the day and something i noticed was if i open a piece of email that mail will automatically moved to some kind of old or read mail folder. i gotta a feeling these emails from NCL is in some folder somewhere

This scares me because I have had nothing but issues with the NCL website. Every time I try to make a payment with any type of card, I get a decline and it also tells me I am trying to set up auto payment which I am not.  I tried to add the soda package and kept getting declined and told the item was removed from the cart. I tried with several different credit cards. I called in and the rep was able to process it. She also told me I had six soda packages added! How was that when the cart was supposed to have those items removed (and it showed no soda package in the cart)? So I can totally believe the story. Their website is a disaster. When I do make final payment I am going to make sure I call in and also have them check nothing is left in my cart. I sure won't be adding excursions or anything after the final payment. 

• Like 5

25 minutes ago, slpm1 said:

This scares me because I have had nothing but issues with the NCL website. Every time I try to make a payment with any type of card, I get a decline and it also tells me I am trying to set up auto payment which I am not.  I tried to add the soda package and kept getting declined and told the item was removed from the cart. I tried with several different credit cards. I called in and the rep was able to process it. She also told me I had six soda packages added! How was that when the cart was supposed to have those items removed (and it showed no soda package in the cart)? So I can totally believe the story. Their website is a disaster. When I do make final payment I am going to make sure I call in and also have them check nothing is left in my cart. I sure won't be adding excursions or anything after the final payment. 

Anytime I've tried to do something that the system can't process, such as try to use a 2nd CN certificate when not eligible, the auto payment error pops up - so it's just the error message that they have associated with a declined transaction, whatever the reason.

2 hours ago, davencl said:

.  If AOL allows that get another email provider. (Does anyone still use AOL???)

Me me me, I do.  I have an email I had signed up for years ago and pretty much used it for bulk mail, stuff like NCL, bills, etc.  My town owns its own electric company and they had its own ISP and starting offering high speed internet back in 1998 and I used an email address from them for my personal stuff.  Well just over a year ago they decided to get out of the ISP business.  I went to Verizon for my internet provider and they don't offer email addresses so it was easier to switch everything over to my AOL account.  

Interesting about the auto payment error. I can't understand why the system wouldn't even let me make a partial payment.   I have a computer heavy office job and am an avid online shopper so I hate to think it's me 🙂

17 minutes ago, julig22 said:

Anytime I've tried to do something that the system can't process, such as try to use a 2nd CN certificate when not eligible, the auto payment error pops up - so it's just the error message that they have associated with a declined transaction, whatever the reason.

Someone on our sailing in our Roll Call nearly had their vacation cancelled as well. It was all paid, but had some mixup a couple of weeks before sailing (Gem, 2/17/23) after they had tried to add some upgrades. Received notice that it was cancelled for non payment. They were able to get it reinstated by NCL, but just barely. So yes, I believe it happened and now I'm thinking it happens more than we may be priivy to. 

• Like 1

for everybody saying they haven't heard the whole story... what more do you need to hear?

all parties agree that she financed the cruise fare and, as far as NCL was concerned, the cruise fare was paid in full. all parties agree that the airport transfers were not paid. the parties do not agree that airport transfers were requested or ordered. all parties agree that NCL canceled her cruise because the airport transfers were not paid for. NCL says they have the right to do that. whether they should have done it is an entirely different question. no reasonable human being would come to that conclusion, in my opinion. whether you're a fan of NCL or not, surely you can see that something is not quite right here with their response.

this will end with an apology, a full refund and a hefty amount of FCC or a comped cruise.

• Like 11

Few things stand out to me, some have been mentioned by others:

- I've never seen a pop-up to add excursions or transfers etc, on the NCL app, or site

- I've added and left MANY things in my cart, but always get a warning and often an email stating my cart is "about to expire"

- I doubt that this individual only added the transfers to their cart, seems sus.

- I experienced a glitch recently where I paid $25 for an excursion and had the site tell me it went through on my CC, but then a day or so later recieved an email stating I had an outstanding amount. I called and sorted it out over the phone with no issues (payment never went through so it was processed again). 

- I am SHOCKED that there was no email saying "you have an outstanding balance, please pay or your cruise will be cancelled" at LEAST one warning should be issued.

- I've never used uplift, and I have an odd feeling it must of something to do with that? Since uplift paid for the cruise, adding the transfer cost threw off the amounts? Like lift is paying for the $4600 cost but now the $100+ transfers are added to the contract but not paid for (again, at min one warning email should be issued).

- Even if this is the individual's fault NCL should 100% reimburse them with a FCC. Why risk bad press over $100+!? Seems so irrational.

• Like 1

It's hard for me to believe that after all the calls to NCL they would not see their error (if there is one) and correct the problem. 

Why would they want the all the negative attention to their brand for $5k. 

One thing for sure NCL needs some smarter more capable customer service people. 

My mil still uses EarthLink! 

• Like 3

We have an upcoming sailing. We booked through a big box online agency. In reviewing our confirmation from the agency, the following is written in red....

"Make the most of your cruise by downloading
the Cruise Norwegian app prior to sailing.
Streamline the check-in and boarding process,
browse and reserve your favorite onboard
activities and more.

Note: NCL will cancel your cruise if you select
add-ons in the NCL Cruise Personalizer but do
not immediately pay for them."

I have no idea if this is the same situation as what is being discussed. But I do find it odd that my TA would go out of their way to write that into the confirmation....almost as if this has happened to people in the past.

Edited by luv2kroooz
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

22 minutes ago, bortman23 said:

Few things stand out to me, some have been mentioned by others:

- I've never seen a pop-up to add excursions or transfers etc, on the NCL app, or site

- I've added and left MANY things in my cart, but always get a warning and often an email stating my cart is "about to expire"

- I doubt that this individual only added the transfers to their cart, seems sus.

- I experienced a glitch recently where I paid $25 for an excursion and had the site tell me it went through on my CC, but then a day or so later recieved an email stating I had an outstanding amount. I called and sorted it out over the phone with no issues (payment never went through so it was processed again). 

- I am SHOCKED that there was no email saying "you have an outstanding balance, please pay or your cruise will be cancelled" at LEAST one warning should be issued.

- I've never used uplift, and I have an odd feeling it must of something to do with that? Since uplift paid for the cruise, adding the transfer cost threw off the amounts? Like lift is paying for the $4600 cost but now the $100+ transfers are added to the contract but not paid for (again, at min one warning email should be issued).

- Even if this is the individual's fault NCL should 100% reimburse them with a FCC. Why risk bad press over $100+!? Seems so irrational.

Because the "victim" has only paid $804 to Uplift. 9 more payments left.

Refunding a full amount of over $5,000 would lead to multiple scams run on NCL, and very quickly.

Dark web types can easily get stolen credit cards, charge a few thing through Uplift, then request the whole amount back.  If NCL complies, scammer gets over $5,000 for a few hours (at best) work.

I'm not implying that this is the case here, but things can happen very fast in the e-commerce world, around the clock, around the globe.  The scammer could be in several countries that will never comply with a US arrest order, assuming they could even track it to an individual.

And every time the web site has a "hiccup", it could be because it is under a series of scam attacks.

Software that runs smoothly 1 day, and weird the next is probably being forced from the outside, not by users on the inside.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Panhandle Couple said:

Dark web types can easily get stolen credit cards, charge a few thing through Uplift, then request the whole amount back.  If NCL complies, scammer gets over $5,000

NCL would be refunding Uplift, not the customer. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Oldsweets said:

Did Norwegian Cruise Line really cancel this family’s $5,000 prepaid cruise over a $112 transfer?

yes they did and as a sapphire member and a stock holder we are washing our hands of NCL. Read Michelle Couch-Friedman investigation as the founder and CEO of Consumer Rescue who attempted unsuccessfully to work with NCL to resolve. There is more here - NCL is not cancelling an entire cruise just  items were left on the cart (unless those transfers were required for the cruise).  I've left items in cart multiple times on NCL and others and have yet to not sail.  Based on this article: https://consumerrescue.org/cruise-fiascos/norwegian-cruise-line-cancel-familys-cruise-over-ground-transfer/ - this is unacceptable

Don’t believe everything you read on the internet. These people MAKE MONEY by sensationalizing nothing to get clicks. 

DONT CLICK 

• Like 7