Roundtrip cruise from Vancouver to Alaska Vaccination Required?

mattR

Hi looking at maybe doing a family cruise to Alaska (we are all Canadian) however some of my siblings are not vaccinated.   Trying to figure out if it's possible for them to do a roundtrip cruise out of Vancouver BC to Alaska.   Alaska's website says they don't require vaccination however US Homeland security website states that all non-us citizens be vaccinated.  Policy was last updated Apr 21/22 so over 11 months ago is this still the current policy?

https://www.dhs.gov/news/2021/10/29/fact-sheet-guidance-travelers-enter-us-land-ports-entry-and-ferry-terminals

9 hours ago, mattR said:

Hi looking at maybe doing a family cruise to Alaska (we are all Canadian) however some of my siblings are not vaccinated.   Trying to figure out if it's possible for them to do a roundtrip cruise out of Vancouver BC to Alaska.   Alaska's website says they don't require vaccination however US Homeland security website states that all non-us citizens be vaccinated.  Policy was last updated Apr 21/22 so over 11 months ago is this still the current policy?

https://www.dhs.gov/news/2021/10/29/fact-sheet-guidance-travelers-enter-us-land-ports-entry-and-ferry-terminals

Best to check with your cruiseline as some cruise requirements are more strict than countries requirements 

• Like 1

Federal trumps State.  Vaccinations are still required unless you are a US citizen or PR holder.  (Under 18 and the medically-contraindicated are exempt.)

The Port of Vancouver has electronic kiosks where you are required to answer pre-entry questions.  If I remember correctly, one of the questions was whether you were vaccinated or not.  Perhaps someone else could chime in.  

You may or may not be asked to provide proof of vaccination by the CBP but I wouldn’t tempt fate.  They’re pretty thorough at that port.

The next update will be announced close to the time the current order is set to expire.  It’s possible the vaccination requirement may be lifted but I wouldn’t count on it.

Edited by *Miss G*

International travel to the US by air, land or ferry still requires vaccination. But ever since the CDC dropped its regulations for cruises, it has been left to the cruise lines to determine when vaccinations will be required. No US federal agency, including DHS, seems to have moved to introduce new legislation that would cover arrival in Alaska by cruise ship.

A random sampling of lines (Royal Caribbean, Celebrity and Carnival) shows that they all have destinations for which vaccinations are required. Alaska is not one of them. But that's just a small sampling, and the OP should check with his intended cruise line as suggested previously.

1 hour ago, *Miss G* said:

The Port of Vancouver has electronic kiosks where you are required to answer pre-entry questions.  If I remember correctly, one of the questions was whether you were vaccinated or not.  Perhaps someone else could chime in.  

The GOC removed COVID-19-related travel restrictions at the end of the Alaska cruise season last October, including the requirement for vaccinations to embark on a cruise. Whatever the kiosk questions were last year, they will be different this year. 

2 hours ago, Fouremco said:

The GOC removed COVID-19-related travel restrictions at the end of the Alaska cruise season last October, including the requirement for vaccinations to embark on a cruise. Whatever the kiosk questions were last year, they will be different this year. 

Except the kiosk questions were to pre-clear entrance to the US; not Canada.

24 minutes ago, *Miss G* said:

Except the kiosk questions were to pre-clear entrance to the US; not Canada.

True, but US requirements also changed during the course of last summer. It's possible that CBP updated the questions during the Alaska cruise season, but they may also have done as many of the cruise lines and decided to wait until the end of the season and start fresh for 2023.

I guess I should book an Alaskan cruise for this Spring to conduct in-person research! 😇

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

True, but US requirements also changed during the course of last summer. It's possible that CBP updated the questions during the Alaska cruise season, but they may also have done as many of the cruise lines and decided to wait until the end of the season and start fresh for 2023.

I guess I should book an Alaskan cruise for this Spring to conduct in-person research! 😇

Please do and report back 🙂   So nice of you to do this for me!  When does the current mandate expire requiring Non-US citizens to be vaccinated?  

It's confusing when you read something like this from the cruise line website:

Travel Requirements for Sailings
in the United States, Canada, and Europe
as of November 9, 2022

If you’re currently booked on a cruise vacation with us and have provided an email address, you will be advised of the latest requirements leading up to departure. Be sure to register for a guest account so that we may reach you with any updates.

All travelers departing from US, Canadian, and European ports are welcome to cruise with us regardless of vaccination status and will no longer be required to provide proof of pre-departure testing, except for specific sailings where vaccination or testing are required by law.

It says all travelers but in reality as a Canadian I can't cruise from Canada to Alaska as the US Federal government still requires vaccination. 

23 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

Definitely do that. lol

My most pressing question, at the moment, is whether to blind-bake my pie crust for a blueberry pie.  😂

I await your research.  Take one for the team!  We’ll support you.  (Although not financially. lol)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, *Miss G* said:

My most pressing question, at the moment, is whether to blind-bake my pie crust for a blueberry pie.  😂

Always blind-bake if it's an 'open' pie, i.e. a tart; if you're topping it with a lattice likewise; only if it's a fully-enclosed pie with the top ideally using the same weight of pastry should you not blind-bake (as the additional rolling needed to make the base thinner to cover both bottom and sides means it will cook quicker than the top pastry - even then I'd use a dark pie tin like enameled steel or nonstick rather than glass or aluminum pie-tin to ensure you avoid the dreaded soggy bottom, and be ready with some foil if the top darkens too quickly...)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, mattR said:

It says all travelers but in reality as a Canadian I can't cruise from Canada to Alaska as the US Federal government still requires vaccination. 

But this is the heart of the issue: does the US federal government still have a requirement for non-citizens to be vaccinated when entering by cruise ship? If flying, driving or arriving by ferry, there is a well documented requirement. But I've been unable to locate any current documented requirement for arrival by cruise ship. For example, the State Departments travel website (https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/international-travel/before-you-go/travelers-with-special-considerations/cruise-ship-passengers.html) states the following:

"If you are considering travel on a cruise ship, please review the latest CDC guidance."

But if you go to the linked CDC website (https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/cruise-travel-during-covid19.html) seeking guidance on the requirements for vaccinations, it simply states:

"Check directly with your cruise line about their COVID-19 testing or vaccination protocols before travel."

Now, it's time for me to start a go fund me account for my ongoing research! 😉

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

"If you are considering travel on a cruise ship, please review the latest CDC guidance."

But if you go to the linked CDC website (https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/cruise-travel-during-covid19.html) seeking guidance on the requirements for vaccinations, it simply states:

"Check directly with your cruise line about their COVID-19 testing or vaccination protocols before travel."

That or just have the people get vaccinated if they can 

Edited by Ex-Airbalancer

59 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

But this is the heart of the issue: does the US federal government still have a requirement for non-citizens to be vaccinated when entering by cruise ship? If flying, driving or arriving by ferry, there is a well documented requirement. But I've been unable to locate any current documented requirement for arrival by cruise ship. For example, the State Departments travel website (https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/international-travel/before-you-go/travelers-with-special-considerations/cruise-ship-passengers.html) states the following:

Given that non-US resident visitors by air, land, and ferry require a vaccination it seems likely that those arriving by cruise ship and other marine transportation would also require vaccination.

It occurs to me that "ferry terminal" might be understood to be any location that debarks marine passengers. But I couldn't find a definition at DHS or CBP web sites.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, broberts said:

It occurs to me that "ferry terminal" might be understood to be any location that debarks marine passengers. But I couldn't find a definition at DHS or CBP web sites.

That thought had crossed my mind too, until I found that there are numerous DHS documents indicating that they differentiate between ferry terminals and cruise terminals. For example, the Downloaded OMB Enterprise Data Inventory Report (DIP) (https://www.dhs.gov/xlibrary/assets/digital-strategy/data.xlsx) includes these two separate entries:

image.thumb.png.8dd150c2a3e618439c8566ad619fac09.png

image.thumb.png.a648f1cf9c2dd686e11ab3948c76f512.png

image.png

• Like 1

You are getting hung up on terminology.  The US Federal Government requires all visitors to be vaccinated.  It is the job of the CBP — at all Ports of Entry — to ensure that the visitor is admissible.  A requirement for admissibility is vaccination.

Whether the vaccination requirement is dropped in the future is anyone’s guess.  Judging by the ongoing government ads to have a covid plan — which includes vaccination — I can’t see the US allowing unvaccinated visitors anytime soon.  It doesn’t make economic sense.

Edited by *Miss G*
Grammar
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, *Miss G* said:

The US Federal Government requires all visitors to be vaccinated.

Well, if so, somebody better inform the cruise lines ASAP as the Alaskan cruise season is just weeks away and none of the cruise lines that I've checked have indicated a vaccine requirement.

NCL:

LAST UPDATED: February 28, 2023

NOTE: Norwegian Cruise Line is working closely with local government and health authorities to gather travel requirements to the destinations we visit. While this information is provided as a courtesy to our guests, destinations we travel to may have very specific entry requirements due to health and safety protocols including potentially booster requirements, additional testing by a verified 3rd party, and mask requirements. Guests may be denied boarding if all country specific requirements are not met.

Currently, the only countries for which NCL has a listed vaccination requirement are Australia, Brazil and Columbia.

https://www.ncl.com/ca/en/travel-requirements-by-country

RCI:

COVID-19 Vaccination is no longer required to sail, with a few exceptions. At this time, only the following sailings have COVID-19 vaccination requirements:

Guests age 12 and older must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 in order to sail:

Cruises from Australia
Transatlantic and Transpacific Sailings
Cruises from Hawaii to Vancouver

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/what-vaccines-are-required-to-travel-on-a-cruise

Note that while RCI requires vaccinations for cruises from Hawaii to Vancouver, there is no requirement for cruises from Vancouver to Hawaii.

HAL:

HAL's approach is somewhat different. Rather than broader statements on what cruises might require vaccinations, it offers its Health Protocols Tool to look up any cruise’s testing and vaccine guidelines. For the 7-Day Alaskan Inside Passage cruise aboard the Koningsdam 6-13 May RT Vancouver:

Vaccination Requirements

We highly recommend all guests be up to date on their vaccination status. Vaccinations, however, are not required.

https://book2.hollandamerica.com/protocols/

Whether unvaccinated Canadians, like the OP's siblings, or unvaccinated Americans heading off to Vancouver for an Alaskan cruise, there will be some serious problems if they are refused boarding at the port by CBP having been told by the cruise lines that vaccines aren't required.

DW and I have each had our two initial COVID vaccines plus 3 booster shots, and our preference would be for all passengers on all cruises to be vaccinated. In no way am I advocating no vaccine requirement for Alaskan cruises, but based on all that I've seen, that certainly seems to be the case.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

Vaccination Requirements

We highly recommend all guests be up to date on their vaccination status. Vaccinations, however, are not required.

Reading further down the page, to the first paragraph…

5B03C6B6-D6C9-46A7-BC61-7827D2C7E926.thumb.jpeg.a768be8bd22fce24cebfe468e363bdee.jpeg

Contradictory, I know.  But then, there’s This…. Still in effect as of January 4th:

2F7DB052-898B-4E59-9004-B7A6C8126F75.thumb.jpeg.28ddadfd3bdbcb1192f229235a41869e.jpeg

I’d err on the side of the government requirements as opposed to the cruiseline requirements.  Especially since they (the cruise lines) caution passengers to meet government requirements.  Maybe next month we’ll know for sure.

Edited by *Miss G*

7 minutes ago, *Miss G* said:

Reading further down the page, to the first paragraph…

5B03C6B6-D6C9-46A7-BC61-7827D2C7E926.thumb.jpeg.a768be8bd22fce24cebfe468e363bdee.jpeg

Contradictory, I know.  But then, there’s This…. Still in effect as of January 4th:

2F7DB052-898B-4E59-9004-B7A6C8126F75.thumb.jpeg.28ddadfd3bdbcb1192f229235a41869e.jpeg

I’d err on the side of the government requirements as opposed to the cruiseline requirements.  Especially since they (the cruise lines) caution passengers to meet government requirements.  Maybe next month we’ll know for sure.

LOL. As you say, next month we'll know for sure.

As for the paragraph you've cited, it makes a general statement and then states "For more information see Requirement for Proof of COVID-19 Vaccination for Air Passengers." Nowhere on the CDC website is there any stated requirement with respect to cruise passengers.

17 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

LOL. As you say, next month we'll know for sure.

As for the paragraph you've cited, it makes a general statement and then states "For more information see Requirement for Proof of COVID-19 Vaccination for Air Passengers." Nowhere on the CDC website is there any stated requirement with respect to cruise passengers.

I refer you back to Post #14.  😂  (And include the caveat that a ferry terminal can also be a designated Port of Entry.)

My best guess as to the contradictory nature of the cruiseline information is that they are counting on the order being lifted before the Alaska and Canada/New England season begins.

Edited by *Miss G*
  • Haha 1

As with passport expiry and other requirements I like to operate on a worst case basis. I.E. follow the most restrictive of government or cruise line rules. Lead times require this sort of pessimism.

In the case of COVID vaccination there is also the question of what constitutes a valid vaccination. A discussion better left for another time. 🙂

• Haha 1