Rotterdam. Does it always rock about?

tula45

38 minutes ago, woodinville cruisers said:

We've found that Holland America passengers are generally very kind and open to conversations with other passengers.  I think this may be due to our senior population.  

You may be onto something there. I also think part of it is that the crew is so friendly. Good morning, how are you, did you have a good day in port. etc. I think their upbeat friendly behavior rubs off on the passengers, and it feels natural to say good morning to someone you pass in the hall, or chat while you're in line at the Lido. 

• Like 4

On Feb 4, 2023,  we sailed on the Rotterdam out of an extremely windy Port Everglades on the roughest Caribbean cruise departure we have ever experienced.  In the evening I vacated the Seaview pool bar area because water was crashing over the pool sides.  I estimated at least 2 inches of standing water on the deck because my jeans below the knees were soaked.  At 5:30am my DH rolled out of bed in our deck 8 aft cabin due to the ship’s motion. He was fine and immediately went back to sleep.  Luckily, the motion for us is like being rocked in a crib but I’m sure there are many who were a bit seasick.

The seas calmed down as we approached St Maarten.  We had a wonderful cruise with good food and excellent service. (We love aft cabins and always book them if they are available.)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Iamthesea said:

Please elaborate on why Deck 6 sounded like you were near a washing machine?  We will be on Deck 6, in a Vista near the midship elevators, on the Nieuw Statendam next month.

I was in 6153 on the Koningsdam. When I walked by my cabin, a loud woosh-woosh sound could be heard. It sounded like a washer on wash cycle or an engine that was running. It was not a hum. The sound could be heard in the cabin as well but not as loud. It was only present when the ship was sailing. When we were in port, the sound vanished. I walked up to deck 7 and 8 and there was no sound. Was it annoying? Enough for me never to book Deck 6 mid-ship again.

• Like 1

I looked at the deck plans and your stateroom was across from one of those blank areas used for crew.  Perhaps there was a washing area across from you. 😁   Since our stateroom is further up the corridor, hopefully we will not hear anything.  I have been told that there is not much noise coming from the elevator banks.  We have stayed near the elevators on a few ships and had no noise.  TY

5 hours ago, 0106 said:
On Feb 4, 2023,  we sailed on the Rotterdam out of an extremely windy Port Everglades on the roughest Caribbean cruise departure we have ever experienced.  In the evening I vacated the Seaview pool bar area because water was crashing over the pool sides.  I estimated at least 2 inches of standing water on the deck because my jeans below the knees were soaked.  At 5:30am my DH rolled out of bed in our deck 8 aft cabin due to the ship’s motion. He was fine and immediately went back to sleep.  Luckily, the motion for us is like being rocked in a crib but I’m sure there are many who were a bit seasick.

The seas calmed down as we approached St Maarten.  We had a wonderful cruise with good food and excellent service. (We love aft cabins and always book them if they are available.)

Sounds like a dream come true.  I love rough seas and movement.  I like to know I’m on a ship.  

A group of friends and I purposely book winter crossings on Cunard hoping for rough weather.  Nine times out of ten we are disappointed but every now and then …. BINGO! 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1