Labeling Wheelchair?

scgirlatheart

We’ve just purchased a wheelchair for my husband to use for our cruise to Alaska.  We’ll be flying as well as taking trains, buses and a boat before boarding the cruise ship. It’s a push wheelchair.  How do most people label them for ID purposes?  Is a luggage tag sufficient? 

We just use a luggage tag (plus ID in the little storage area behind the back rest).   Many airlines request that you complete a form identifying your wheelchair (make, model, any damage, etc).   It's usually on their website.   

When you make your plane reservations, request wheelchair assistance (using your own wheelchair) from the ticket counter all the way to the plane's door.   Those wheelchair pushers know how to get through the lines quickly.  (Tips are appreciated.)

Make sure you take the wheelchair all the way to the plane door (from there it will get put in the plane's storage below).   They will bring it back to you outside the plane's exit door when you get to your next stop.  If it's a connecting stop, a wheelchair pusher will take you to your connecting gate.  You want to be sure the wheelchair is personally with you and in the plane you're on at all times.  If it's your destination stop, a wheelchair pusher can take you to pick up your luggage and outside to your transportation.  

PS:   When you get to your boarding area at the airport, let the airline person behind the counter know you have a personal wheelchair that you will be gate checking.   They will probably tag it and will also make sure you have the form mentioned in the first paragraph (if you don't have the form they will fill one out for you).  

This is probably more informatoin than you want, but I didn't know if you had any experience with wheelchairs and flying.   

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

You might also consider an Air tag if you have an iPhone.  Just a little round disc that you attach to your chair.  Synch with your phone and you can track where it is.  If you have a different phone there are similar items available but not with as wide coverage.  EM

• Like 2

2 hours ago, kokopelli-az said:

We just use a luggage tag (plus ID in the little storage area behind the back rest).   Many airlines request that you complete a form identifying your wheelchair (make, model, any damage, etc).   It's usually on their website.   

When you make your plane reservations, request wheelchair assistance (using your own wheelchair) from the ticket counter all the way to the plane's door.   Those wheelchair pushers know how to get through the lines quickly.  (Tips are appreciated.)

Make sure you take the wheelchair all the way to the plane door (from there it will get put in the plane's storage below).   They will bring it back to you outside the plane's exit door when you get to your next stop.  If it's a connecting stop, a wheelchair pusher will take you to your connecting gate.  You want to be sure the wheelchair is personally with you and in the plane you're on at all times.  If it's your destination stop, a wheelchair pusher can take you to pick up your luggage and outside to your transportation.  

PS:   When you get to your boarding area at the airport, let the airline person behind the counter know you have a personal wheelchair that you will be gate checking.   They will probably tag it and will also make sure you have the form mentioned in the first paragraph (if you don't have the form they will fill one out for you).  

This is probably more informatoin than you want, but I didn't know if you had any experience with wheelchairs and flying.   

Not too much information at all, it’s very much appreciated!

1 hour ago, Essiesmom said:

You might also consider an Air tag if you have an iPhone.  Just a little round disc that you attach to your chair.  Synch with your phone and you can track where it is.  If you have a different phone there are similar items available but not with as wide coverage.  EM

Great idea, thanks!

• Like 1

I’m a bit paranoid, I duct tape a laminated sign I make to the seat, with flight details, my name and phone number, instructions how to handle etc. The airline will have a luggage tag and possibly several other tags depending on their procedures. 

Edited by ozscotart
  • Like 1

Just now, ozscotart said:

I’m a bit paranoid, I duct tape a laminated sign I make to the seat, with flight details, my name and phone number, instructions how to handle etc. The airline will have a luggage tap and possibly several other tags depending on their procedures. 

And I AirTag everything !

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Our chair folds up so I laminate a label with Name, Flight No, Details of battery (Voltage and Amp hrs) and weight.

We take the vulnerable controller off and carry that into the cabin. 

On 3/26/2023 at 2:19 PM, kokopelli-az said:

Your information is very helpful. I have a friend who is looking at cancelling an upcoming trip because they are having such a hard time with the airlines giving information about flying with a wheelchair.  They are flying overseas to take a river cruise and they have been told they cannot take their wheelchair on the plane and gate check it- that it has to be shipped separately. They are afraid they will lose the wheelchair before they get to their embarkation port.  
I think they are being given the run around perhaps, and so I am seeking help and better information from folks on this  board.   I am definitely going to be doing some further research.  You have given a wealth of information. Thank you so much. 

36 minutes ago, SaCSCCruiser said:

I have a friend who is looking at cancelling an upcoming trip because they are having such a hard time with the airlines giving information about flying with a wheelchair.  They are flying overseas to take a river cruise and they have been told they cannot take their wheelchair on the plane and gate check it- that it has to be shipped separately. They are afraid they will lose the wheelchair before they get to their embarkation port.  

What is the airline?    

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Air tag - last August our flight from JFK to Heathrow loaded(my wife has a manual wheelchair), but due to technical problems we had to deplane and wait for a different plane to be brought to the boarding area. After we boarded the replacement and the doors were about to be shut - we discovered the our wheelchair had not made the transfer due to the information from the air pod.  Notification was given to the head stewardess of the situation and she called ground services and about 15 minutes later we watched as the wheelchair was rolled across the tarmac to our plane! Now we have air pods in everything; including suitcases, roll on, backpack, purse and anything we have with us

Hal

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

There can be problems with regional jets. Sometimes the doors to the smaller jets are not large enough to allow the wheelchairs to be loaded. With the standard jets it should not be a problem. I have a friend who has to travel about 200 miles to reach a large airport (St. Louis in her case) so she can fly to Europe.

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/2/2023 at 7:44 AM, HS2BS said:

Air tag - last August our flight from JFK to Heathrow loaded(my wife has a manual wheelchair), but due to technical problems we had to deplane and wait for a different plane to be brought to the boarding area. After we boarded the replacement and the doors were about to be shut - we discovered the our wheelchair had not made the transfer due to the information from the air pod.  Notification was given to the head stewardess of the situation and she called ground services and about 15 minutes later we watched as the wheelchair was rolled across the tarmac to our plane! Now we have air pods in everything; including suitcases, roll on, backpack, purse and anything we have with us

Hal

I just checked Amazon.  There are so many choices with so many different prices.  Which one do you have?