Sitka excursion - Best Of Sitka: Otters, Raptors & Bears

Coral

I tentatively have this one booked through the cruise line: Best Of Sitka: Otters, Raptors & Bears

The cruise includes a 3 hour catamaran boat ride for Sea Otters and Wildlife quest. This cruise will be in May. Is this boat ride worth it or should I just pursue a shore excursion that includes the Raptor Center and Fortress of the Bears?

I have never been to Sitka. I have seen a ton of otters though people report seeing other wildlife on the few reviews I have read so I am curious if it is worth it, especially Mid-May.

If @Italy52 - have you done this? Or anyone else? 

I usually do not book excursions through the cruise line. Still iffy on this one.

Edited by Coral

• Coral changed the title to Sitka excursion - Best Of Sitka: Otters, Raptors & Bears

Well thats good Coral, am also been lookin at this tour, but won't be goin til Sept, an suppose you're on the 3 hr boat ride, an you don't see any otters or other wild life. Have seen the Raptors, but not the bears. Would it just be a bummer boat ride?

@CoralHappy to see that you were able to book the cruise.  Yes, we have taken the excursion you mentioned.  For us, the boat part was just "so-so" as we thought we would see more wildlife --- we only saw a whale way off in the distance and a couple of rafts of otters.  We did enjoy the raptor center (we always enjoy supporting a wildlife center) and seeing the bears.  Although some might describe the bear experience similar to what you would see in a zoo, we still enjoyed seeing the bears and watching their personalities.  When we go in July, we will most likely go to the excursion office where the bus drops us off and see if we can get a raptor/bear combo excursion if it is not too expensive.

54 minutes ago, gottagoacruzn said:

Well thats good Coral, am also been lookin at this tour, but won't be goin til Sept, an suppose you're on the 3 hr boat ride, an you don't see any otters or other wild life. Have seen the Raptors, but not the bears. Would it just be a bummer boat ride?

I am willing to spend money on good tours. I do have a lot of expensive tours on this trip and if the boat ride is average - I would prefer to spend my time doing other things. I mentioned the month as a lot of reviews I read mentioned August and September.

Honestly - otters would not be my main interest as I always see them when in Alaska. It would be other wildlife.

If you go on the tour - I hope you have a great trip!

26 minutes ago, Italy52 said:

@CoralHappy to see that you were able to book the cruise.  Yes, we have taken the excursion you mentioned.  For us, the boat part was just "so-so" as we thought we would see more wildlife --- we only saw a whale way off in the distance and a couple of rafts of otters.  We did enjoy the raptor center (we always enjoy supporting a wildlife center) and seeing the bears.  Although some might describe the bear experience similar to what you would see in a zoo, we still enjoyed seeing the bears and watching their personalities.  When we go in July, we will most likely go to the excursion office where the bus drops us off and see if we can get a raptor/bear combo excursion if it is not too expensive.

I agree about supporting wildlife and rescue centers. 

I appreciate your input! Now just trying to decide if I should book a tour or wing it at the pier.

Thank you!

• Like 1

Booking through the cruiseline is overpriced. After getting off the ship shuttle into Sitka there is a vendor offering a trip to the Raptor Center and Fortress of the Bear for $10.00pp not including a small entrance fee to both venues. We did this with extended family this past September and it could have not only been cheaper but our local driver/guide was amazing giving us so much history about Sitka. Lot's of bus's lined up and on your way as they filled up. You can't miss this vendor holding large signs. So glad we waited and did this option instead of booking with the cruiseline or private pre-paid excursion.

Enjoy...you won't be sorry !!

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, Ashland said:

Booking through the cruiseline is overpriced. After getting off the ship shuttle into Sitka there is a vendor offering a trip to the Raptor Center and Fortress of the Bear for $10.00pp not including a small entrance fee to both venues. We did this with extended family this past September and it could have not only been cheaper but our local driver/guide was amazing giving us so much history about Sitka. Lot's of bus's lined up and on your way as they filled up. You can't miss this vendor holding large signs. So glad we waited and did this option instead of booking with the cruiseline or private pre-paid excursion.

Enjoy...you won't be sorry !!

I agree booking through the cruise line is overpriced and I rarely do it. Plus - I prefer to book direct and have the vendor/locals get more money (as opposed to the cruise line). 

I have read your comments about Sitka and the local tour and I am tempted. I would also be disappointed if the tours are not at the drop off point. I guess I can always catch a cab to the Fortress of the Bear if they are not there. Maybe that is the plan I should have. I know I can walk to the Raptor Center and other downtown places.

I am returning less to Alaska compared to previously and spending more of my vacation time in Europe. I can't believe I still have not been to Sitka. Alaska is where I can go to relax and enjoy - sort of my comfort trip as I know what to expect and where I am going, except for Sitka. I am excited to be on a cruise that stops here! 🙂  

I appreciate your comments. I guess stay tuned for May and see if the vendor is there. I can't believe I am overthinking this. I can always get a cab and would save money over the cruise line if the tour is not there.

Edited by Coral

56 minutes ago, Coral said:

I agree booking through the cruise line is overpriced and I rarely do it. Plus - I prefer to book direct and have the vendor/locals get more money (as opposed to the cruise line). 

I have read your comments about Sitka and the local tour and I am tempted. I would also be disappointed if the tours are not at the drop off point. I guess I can always catch a cab to the Fortress of the Bear if they are not there. Maybe that is the plan I should have. I know I can walk to the Raptor Center and other downtown places.

I am returning less to Alaska compared to previously and spending more of my vacation time in Europe. I can't believe I still have not been to Sitka. Alaska is where I can go to relax and enjoy - sort of my comfort trip as I know what to expect and where I am going, except for Sitka. I am excited to be on a cruise that stops here! 🙂  

I appreciate your comments. I guess stay tuned for May and see if the vendor is there. I can't believe I am overthinking this. I can always get a cab and would save money over the cruise line if the tour is not there.

Your plan B to just take a taxi is a good one. But we were the last RCI ship for the 2022 season and this vendor in Sitka was still there filling up their bus's. This was our 5th Alaska itinerary and strangely the first time to Sitka for us...just timing I guess.

Enjoy your cruise.

• Like 1

I've seen the other thread. I'm debating as i have a 60.00 cdn (about 45US) tour booked to raptor centre and nature walk. I'd missed the bears though. Were there lines when you had to enter at raptor centre and fortress of the bear?

The nature walk is very likely at the Totem Park which is within walking distance of downtown and run by the National Park Service.  It's a beautiful walking area with nice trails and a visitor center.  If you are there in late July/August the salmon are running in the river through the park.

We were planning on doing this tour when in Sitka at the beginning of May this year. @Italy52 what time of year were you on the catamaran?  I'm wondering if the time of year may make a difference? @latebuyer is your trip booked through a local tour company?  

Definitely rethinking our time in Sitka - much prefer supporting local - sometimes find it harder in Alaska than cruising elsewhere.

Thanks very much for the information!

50 minutes ago, kickboxrca said:

We were planning on doing this tour when in Sitka at the beginning of May this year. @Italy52 what time of year were you on the catamaran?  I'm wondering if the time of year may make a difference? @latebuyer is your trip booked through a local tour company?  

Definitely rethinking our time in Sitka - much prefer supporting local - sometimes find it harder in Alaska than cruising elsewhere.

Thanks very much for the information!

I looked at the date stamp on one of our pictures and it showed we were in Sitka on 5/12/2018.  Can't tell you if the time of year we went was good or not for the tour, all I can tell you is what we encountered. 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Italy52 said:

I looked at the date stamp on one of our pictures and it showed we were in Sitka on 5/12/2018.  Can't tell you if the time of year we went was good or not for the tour, all I can tell you is what we encountered. 

Yes - I've heard that first thing in the season is not quite as good as later .... much appreciated!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Italy52 said:

I appreciate it as it will be around that time in which I would be there. I do think later in the season, the boat ride maybe better. I am passing on this as I suspected as such.

• Like 1

Hey guys, was thinkin bout takin the tour from the vendors, would presume that one could spend awhile at the Raptor center, then wander around the walkin path an look at the trees & such, without runnin into a bear, then go on to the fortress of the bear, then wander around Sitka, with lots of time left. The ship is in at 12:00 to 8 p.m.

2 hours ago, gottagoacruzn said:

Hey guys, was thinkin bout takin the tour from the vendors, would presume that one could spend awhile at the Raptor center, then wander around the walkin path an look at the trees & such, without runnin into a bear, then go on to the fortress of the bear, then wander around Sitka, with lots of time left. The ship is in at 12:00 to 8 p.m.

If you use a vendor it will be based on a timeframe they will give you at each stop. Once you return you'll have plenty of time to walk around Sitka before taking the ship shuttle back to the port.