“Early seating”?

pdmlynek

Sorry for a newbie question; third time cruising, first time on MSC (on NCL we just had ‘any-time dining”).  Unfortunately, MSC website does not provide much guidance.  I’ve read through many of the discussions here; I apologize if I missed the answers.

I note that for my upcoming Western Med cruise on MSC, my travel documents state I have requested “early seating” which, based on this discussion group appears that eating aboard the ship is conducted in 2 or 3 shifts. 

MSC Magnifica, a week-long cruise, to Spanish, French and Italian ports; I am not a YC member; and I won’t be eating in specialty restaurants,

Questions:

(1) Does Early Seating refer to the evening meal (dinner or supper) only?  Or does it refer to other meals too, such as lunch and/or breakfast?

(2) Does Early Seating refer to eating only L’Edera and Quattro Venti (both serve as one MDR), or does it extend to other non-MDR restaurants?  I assume that buffet restaurants do not have eating in shift, right?

(3)  How much time is there between the first seating and the next seating?  1 hr? 1 ½ hrs?  2 hrs?

(4)  Just exactly what does “Early Seating” mean for the evening meal?  We will be sailing on an Italian ship, serving mostly Europeans, in Spain, France and Italy.  When in Spain, will ‘early” be 9:00 pm and late 10:30 pm, and when in France, “early” be 7:00 pm and late 8:30 pm?  In Europe, if in Norway, early may mean 4:00 pm, right?

(5)  Does the “early seating” vary with the time at port?  For example, if the ship is in the port until 8:00 pm, do they wait with the serving of Early Seating until 9:00 pm?

(6)  Do I always have to have Early Seating?  Or can I sometimes have a late seating?

g35z0w5vq9n81.jpg

Thank you!

Hello, I have a similar question as the original poster. Could I add, what are the chances of getting the seating requested. My family has requested early seating. Saw a you tube video where somone had chosen early however had gotten assiged late dinning. Unfortunately if we had late dinning this would greatly decrease the enjoyment of the cruise.

• Like 1

pdmlynek
Seating time - dinnertime and always the same no matter the Port.

We have no knowledge of MSC ship dinnertimes. In US “early” can be as early as 5:00 depending on size of ship and number of dining rooms. 

debnjoe1438
Chances of getting “early” - good - check cards on embarkation and speak to maitre’d (sp?) once on board if necessary - usually at one of the dining room entrances about 12/1ish - should specify in info you receive.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, cellfree said:

pdmlynek
Seating time - dinnertime and always the same no matter the Port.

We have no knowledge of MSC ship dinnertimes. In US “early” can be as early as 5:00 depending on size of ship and number of dining rooms. 

debnjoe1438
Chances of getting “early” - good - check cards on embarkation and speak to maitre’d (sp?) once on board if necessary - usually at one of the dining room entrances about 12/1ish - should specify in info you receive.

Thank you

Early sitting will apply to the evening meal in the MDR only. You can eat in the buffet anytime you like.

The time doesn't change on any evening, regardless of the port location or departure time from port. 

On Magnifica there will only be an early and late (on the new large ships sometimes there are 3 sittings). Different ships have different meal times, I don't know for sure what your times will be but an example would be early 6.30pm and late 8.30pm or 7.15pm and 9.15pm.

Once you're assigned and accept that sitting, you can't alternate on different evenings. 

• Thanks 1

We have done Virtuosa in northern Europe.

Last Oct when schools were out and ship packed(mainly brits over 5k pax) they had 5 fixed times across the 4 dining rooms.
17:30, 18:00, 19:30, 20:30, 21:30.

There was also mychoice for Aurea guests. 17:30-21:15

March(mix nationality) around 3500pax.

fixed 17:30,18:00,19:45, 20:30

mychoice 17:30-20:45

21 hours ago, CruisingFox27 said:

Early sitting will apply to the evening meal in the MDR only. You can eat in the buffet anytime you like.

The time doesn't change on any evening, regardless of the port location or departure time from port. 

On Magnifica there will only be an early and late (on the new large ships sometimes there are 3 sittings). Different ships have different meal times, I don't know for sure what your times will be but an example would be early 6.30pm and late 8.30pm or 7.15pm and 9.15pm.

Once you're assigned and accept that sitting, you can't alternate on different evenings. 

Thank you very much for the explanations.  I appreciate it. 

20 hours ago, perakcruiser said:

(1) only dinner

(2) only main dining room

(3)  2 hrs minimum

(4)  expect 6:15 pm early, 8:15 pm late. +/- 30 mins

(5)  no

(6)  always same time, same table

Thank you very much for your answers.  This helps us.