Help! Champagne emergency!!!

Notamegagirl

3 minutes ago, Sydneyberlin said:

What you are expecting is what maybe happens on a good airline’s business or first class but most definitely not in mainstream cruise line’s dining room. 

I certainly don’t want to make anyone’s life hell but I’ve paid for that premium package (and it’s not cheap!) so I’d like to get what I’ve paid for. 

Based on your own analogy, you are not in business or first class, so you are getting the service you paid for. You aren’t going to be wined and dined in the MDR. Everyone knows that the MDR is slow. If you want better, pay for the upgrade. 

Lastly, under no terms are you entitled to receive a bottle of the champagne you desire. It’s not on the approved list for bottles at dinner.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, TampaGambler said:
6 minutes ago, TampaGambler said:Lastly, under no terms are you entitled to receive a bottle of the champagne you desire. It’s not on the approved list for bottles at dinner.

Not “whatever champagne I desire” but there was proper French champagne listed to be available by the bottle when I paid for the upgraded drink package. It actually was Möet back then, and then it was Veuve suddenly and now it might be Möet again. 

I personally prefer Veuve (or even any of the much smaller produced independent champagne houses) but as long as it’s proper French champagne as promised, I’m not that fuzzed. What I will not accept is that cheap American (or Australian, or Chinese) pseudo-Champagne that retails for a tenth of that. This is what you can get only many other cruise lines, without paying for an upgrade even. But it’s not what I forked out my money for the Plus package on NCL.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Silly?? Perhaps you sir are the silly one!  "Real drama?"  Surely (Shirley) you jest. 🤣

Unless it's being performed in the ship's theatre, it's not real drama, only "sparkling performance".

And don't call me Shirley.

via GIPHY | Good luck quotes, Airplane movie quotes, Good ...

Edited by quercus alba
  • Haha 6

9 minutes ago, Sydneyberlin said:

Not “whatever champagne I desire” but there was proper French champagne listed to be available by the bottle when I paid for the upgraded drink package. It actually was Möet back then, and then it was Veuve suddenly and now it might be Möet again. 

I personally prefer Veuve (or even any of the much smaller produced independent champagne houses) but as long as it’s proper French champagne as promised, I’m not that fuzzed. What I will not accept is that cheap American (or Australian, or Chinese) pseudo-Champagne that retails for a tenth of that. This is what you can get only many other cruise lines, without paying for an upgrade even. But it’s not what I forked out my money for the Plus package on NCL.

Honestly, I do not believe you are intending to come off the way I, and probably others, are taking your posts. 

I get you are hoping to get some nicer champagne, and I'm sure NCL will have some, however what you need to realize is this...

NCL is not obligated to provide you with any specific type of champagne. Per the terms of service, which you had to agree to when you purchased the package, it clearly says, "Beverage selection subject to change on board". 

This is their catch all, so you cannot say you purchased the package specifically for Veuve or something else and then demand a refund because you do not feel its worth the value anymore. Just like with cruise ports, the alcohol package is subject to change and subject to availability. 

52 minutes ago, TampaGambler said:

NCL is not obligated to provide you with any specific type of champagne. Per the terms of service, which you had to agree to when you purchased the package, it clearly says, "Beverage selection subject to change on board". 

Well said. That's their CYA wording, and I think we know exactly why they have that there. I definitely am one who prefers French champagne to other sparkling wines. Remember that all champagne is sparkling wine, but not all sparkling wine is champagne. I enjoy Cava, Prosecco and other sparkling wines, including ones made in California using méthode champenoise. But I am not as particular when it comes to which champagne, be it Taittinger, Bollinger, Moët, Veuve, etc. They all taste great to me. On the Epic in December I had a delicious glass of Chandon from California, almost as good as Veuve to my palate but at 1/2 the cost. Even so, I'd be content with ANY sparkling wine rather than none at all.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

Well said. That's their CYA wording, and I think we know exactly why they have that there. I definitely am one who prefers French champagne to other sparkling wines. Remember that all champagne is sparkling wine, but not all sparkling wine is champagne. I enjoy Cava, Prosecco and other sparkling wines, including ones made in California using méthode champenoise. But I am not as particular when it comes to which champagne, be it Taittinger, Bollinger, Moët, Veuve, etc. They all taste great to me. On the Epic in December I had a delicious glass of Chandon from California, almost as good as Veuve to my palate but at 1/2 the cost. Even so, I'd be content with ANY sparkling wine rather than none at all.

I'd be surprised if they had no champagne at all...I will know Saturday what the Joy has.  

Edited by PTC DAWG
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Sydneyberlin said:

Oh dear- consistently inconsistent seems to be the motto with NCL. But I’ve heard very similar stories about other cruise lines as well. 

And as I’ve said before somewhere else on this forum- if they refuse to serve us by the bottle in violation of what was promised months ago when we paid for the package upgrade, and after maybe trying to argue with someone of “manager status”, then I will make the booze servers life hell, as much as I feel sorry for them personally. Meaning: Constant nagging about where my next drink order is, constant follow ups with the waiters to see where that drink waiter is and on it goes. Especially in the MDR, the drinks have always been slow (on other lines too) and I’ve always had a suspicion that this might be on purpose to not give you too many refills.

Something tells me that very quickly we will have a bottle of Veuve on our table and so we should.

If you get satisfaction from making the server's life hell, then you are an awful person.

• Like 4

count me in the veuve camp. i find its erratic availability onboard NCL ship quite troubling.

in any case, i'm moderately amused by those who have quite specific preferences and can write post after post about their preferred beverage, but then insist on calling their favorite tipple "french champagne."

zut alors! if it's "champagne," then it is, by definition, from france. 

calling it "french champagne" is a bit like saying "japanese kobe beef." 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, DCGuy64 said:

Exactly my view, 100%. If you upgraded to Premium+ for a range of options, then great. But paying that upcharge for just ONE particular beverage? Bad idea. Just pay as you go or, even better, bring your own and pay no corkage fee if you have the regular UBP. Super easy, cheaper and no worries about supply.

On board with this.

If I absolutely HAVE TO HAVE a particular drink that's NOT INCLUDED on the drinks package, I'll go a la carte for that.

I can't imagine me wanting enough of something not in the drink package that would cost me anywhere near $55/day.  

Tattling on myself...the only time I really did go off the menu and ordered something not on the Drink Package menu and paid more, I was outside Syd Norman's Bar, reveling with some of my other cruise friends.  Got a little crazy.  Started ordering the "big bucks" Tequila by telling the nice bartender (who warned me of the upcharge for what I was ordering) "nothing is too good for my friends".  Well......checking my on board account through blood shot eyes the next day, I dropped some Benjamins over and above the drink package.  AND, I DON'T EVEN LIKE TEQUILA!

This was before a few months before the COVID shutdown.  But was sailing on one of the AWAY ships...can't remember which one, in the Haven.  About half way through the cruise, I was stopping by the Haven bar for a nightcap.  Wasn't really late, but the Haven bartender was getting ready to call it a night.  Usually, they give fair warning, but sometimes will hang out for a bit after the designated closing time.

I saw there was a group of people who had obviously been there for a while.  They were feeling no pain.  One of the guys asked the Haven Bartender if he'd stay open for one more shot.  Jokingly, the bartender said "yes, but only if you buy some Louis XIII Cognac".  I'm not a Cognac person.  But, they had it prominently displayed, in a case no less, at the bar.  Guy was just "happy" enough that he said he'd buy the bar a shot of it.  Bartender laughed.  But, the guy insisted on buying us a shot.

According to the bartender it comes in a small amount (I think he said a tablespoon size), a regular shot (traditionally 2 oz) or by the entire bottle.  Can't recall the prices.  But, I do remember the 2 oz shot was something like $350...EACH.  There was 7 of us at the bar.  The bartender asked whether the guy was sure.  The answer was "yes".  

He poured...we drank.  I don't remember it being particularly memorable.  But again, I'm not a Cognac drinker.

Next day, saw the same guy at the bar....looking a little worse for the wear.  He was drinking soft drinks.   He said the previous night's activities were something he would never do again, as it cost him over $2,000 with the discount of having the drink package.  

I didn't know whether to laugh with him or offer condolences.  So, I just thanked him again.

Not sure if the Louis XIII is even included in the up level drink package.

Edited by graphicguy
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, UKstages said:

count me in the veuve camp. i find its erratic availability onboard NCL ship quite troubling.

in any case, i'm moderately amused by those who have quite specific preferences and can write post after post about their preferred beverage, but then insist on calling their favorite tipple "french champagne."

zut alors! if it's "champagne," then it is, by definition, from france. 

calling it "french champagne" is a bit like saying "japanese kobe beef." 

A specific region of France to further the discussion. 🙂

• Haha 4

6 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

On board with this.

If I absolutely HAVE TO HAVE a particular drink that's NOT INCLUDED on the drinks package, I'll go a la carte for that.

I can't imagine me wanting enough of something not in the drink package that would cost me anywhere near $55/day.  

Tattling on myself...the only time I really did go off the menu and ordered something not on the Drink Package menu and paid more, I was outside Syd Norman's Bar, reveling with some of my other cruise friends.  Got a little crazy.  Started ordering the "bug bucks" Tequila by telling the nice bartender (who warned me of the upcharge for what I was ordering) "nothing is too good for my friends".  Well......checking my on board account through blood shot eyes the next day, I dropped some Benjamins over and above the drink package.  AND, I DON'T EVEN LIKE TEQUILA!

This was before a few months before the COVID shutdown.  But was sailing on one of the AWAY ships...can't remember which one, in the Haven.  About half way through the cruise, I was stopping by the Haven bar for a nightcap.  Wasn't really late, but the Haven bartender was getting ready to call it a night.  Usually, they give fair warning, but sometimes will hang out for a bit after the designated closing time.

I saw there was a group of people who had obviously been there for a while.  They were feeling no pain.  One of the guys asked the Haven Bartender if he'd stay open for one more shot.  Jokingly, the bartender said "yes, but only if you buy some Louis XIII Cognac".  I'm not a Cognac person.  But, they had it prominently displayed, in a case no less, at the bar.  Guy was just "happy" enough that he said he'd buy the bar a shot of it.  Bartender laughed.  But, the guy insisted on buying us a shot.

According to the bartender it comes in a small amount (I think he said a tablespoon size), a regular shot (traditionally 2 oz) or by the entire bottle.  Can't recall the prices.  But, I do remember the 2 oz shot was something like $350...EACH.  There was 7 of us at the bar.  The bartender asked whether the guy was sure.  The answer was "yes".  

He poured...we drank.  I don't remember it being particularly memorable.  But again, I'm not a Cognac drinker.

Next day, saw the same guy at the bar....looking a little worse for the wear.  He was drinking soft drinks.   He said the previous night's activities were something he would never do again, as it cost him over $2,000 with the discount of having the drink package.  

I didn't know whether to laugh with him or offer condolences.  So, I just thanked him again.

Not sure if the Louis XIII is even included in the up level drink package.

I fairly certain it is not included,  I’m pretty sure there is a cutoff on even the top level package.  Whistle Pig BOURBON is $35 I believe, it’s covered, I do know that. 

Funny story though, at least he took it like a champ. 

Edited by PTC DAWG
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Wow.  That's really interesting.  I would never let a variety of booze "make or break" my amazing vacation.  I could still have a fantastic time with only PBR (something that was greatly appreciated for those of us who lived for years on a college kid budget).  I might not be happy about that minutia, but life really is too short.😎  Are you really serious about this?  Lack of fancy champagne could ruin your cruise?  Yikes!!

Leave her alone. If you were a real champagne drinker (not the sparkling wine some people insist on calling champagne) you’d understand. The best thing about my NCL cruise was the copious amounts of Veuve due to having premium plus

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Sydneyberlin said:

Oh dear- consistently inconsistent seems to be the motto with NCL. But I’ve heard very similar stories about other cruise lines as well. 

And as I’ve said before somewhere else on this forum- if they refuse to serve us by the bottle in violation of what was promised months ago when we paid for the package upgrade, and after maybe trying to argue with someone of “manager status”, then I will make the booze servers life hell, as much as I feel sorry for them personally. Meaning: Constant nagging about where my next drink order is, constant follow ups with the waiters to see where that drink waiter is and on it goes. Especially in the MDR, the drinks have always been slow (on other lines too) and I’ve always had a suspicion that this might be on purpose to not give you too many refills.

Something tells me that very quickly we will have a bottle of Veuve on our table and so we should.

As soon as you order a glass, order another. You got this

1 hour ago, PTC DAWG said:

I fairly certain it is not included,  I’m pretty sure there is a cutoff on even the top level package.  Whistle Pig BOURBON is $35 I believe, it’s covered, I do know that. 

Funny story though, at least he took it like a champ. 

We would ask for double shots of whistle pig, straight up, not a problem. We happened to be at the bar when they emptied a bottle and gave the bottle to us

13 hours ago, rather be in Hawaii said:

Vueve is only included by the glass and no longer included by the bottle with meals on the premium plus beverage program. If I am incorrect please let me know.😊🍾

You are incorrect. Depends on the ship.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Panhandle Couple said:

And 35 posts later the OP has not responded.  And never stated which ship they were boarding on a Monday.

Looking at post history it was the Spirit out of Auckland. But it’s quite clear it was not a serious cry for “help” from someone having a sudden champagne emergency. Just an exuberant pre-boarding “happy dance” post. AKA a waste of our time. But the discussion has taken on a life of its own. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, PTC DAWG said:

I too spring for the upper drink package..with the original "free at sea" you are looking at around $55 PPPD...I have paid more than this for Royal's drink package, a good bit more, and they had shortages of liquor too...it can happen.  I guess my point is the upper package on NCL is a pretty good deal for what all it includes....now if they (all cruise lines) can just figure out how to get stock consistently.  

I'm sailing Joy this Saturday, and hope they have a good stock of the "good stuff"...

Please report back. I’m on the Joy on April 15.

Gosh this went out of hands- and no, I’m not some pervert who enjoy making peoples’ life hell. I was referring to the fact that not giving you any champagne by the bottle (as was promised when we paid for the plus package), will just make life harder for the wait staff as people will just even be more pushy to get their glasses refilled. No an easy feat from my experiences with MDRs.

And yes, if they suddenly sub Tattinger for the Veuve, I will be last one complaining. It’s funny- Americans can be SO specific with their brands but when someone wishes their favourite champagne brand, that’s totally unacceptable. This is also the reason we need use that tautology of “French” champagne- unlike many other countries like Australia, the US have not signed an agreement on food origins so it’s legally allowed to call cheaper bubbles “Champagne” while down here it would be a no no. I’m totally not judging, it’s just legal differences in different countries.

And finally, we just won an upgrade to the Haven so something tells me we will be perfectly fine there with our champagne requests 😛

• Like 5

I was on the Getaway this month. They had Vueve in the atrium bar. We had the premium plus package.  You could get as many glasses during the day. You could get bottles at dinner. We had 2 bottles. My husband and I could each get one. Try the Pommery Rose. That was available only in the restaurants. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, purpleally said:

We would ask for double shots of whistle pig, straight up, not a problem. We happened to be at the bar when they emptied a bottle and gave the bottle to us

I’m in. 🙂

• Like 1

11 hours ago, p&lcruisers said:

I was on the Getaway this month. They had Vueve in the atrium bar. We had the premium plus package.  You could get as many glasses during the day. You could get bottles at dinner. We had 2 bottles. My husband and I could each get one. Try the Pommery Rose. That was available only in the restaurants. 

I will be on the Getaway May 1st. I want to upgrade to premium plus for Veuve only. This ship charges $125 per bottle or a $15 supplement per glass. The additional $350pp to upgrade to premium plus would pay for itself over a 10 night cruise. Problem is my husband thinks it is ridiculous to pay the upgrade just for the Veuve. He is a whisky/vodka drinker and fine with the offerings on the regular drink package. We did an Alaska cruise in October. All I drank was grey goose/Belvedere soda with an occasional glass of wine with dinner, Bloody Mary with breakfast, and maybe an IPA now and then with lunch. One time I thought the bartender at the mojito bar was going to hug me when we ordered two grey goose sodas. He actually said thank you for the easy order😉 

we are 30ish days out from our cruise. We will see who wins the premium plus upgrade battle. We already upgraded from forward facing Haven to 2 bedroom Haven so what’s a little bit more. My 60th and his retirement so it is a splurge trip. Go big or go home😊