Hotel The Night Before A Cruise

Lisa.D.

My husband and I have decided to jump back into cruising. When arriving the day before a cruise begins, does Oceania provide a list of preferred hotels to stay at that provides transportation to the ship the next morning? We're concerned about trying to navigate our way from the airport to a hotel, and then to the ship the next day. How do you navigate back and forth when you're not familiar with the language, city, etc.? Thanks in advance for any help you can provide. 

1 minute ago, Lisa.D. said:

My husband and I have decided to jump back into cruising. When arriving the day before a cruise begins, does Oceania provide a list of preferred hotels to stay at that provides transportation to the ship the next morning? We're concerned about trying to navigate our way from the airport to a hotel, and then to the ship the next day. How do you navigate back and forth when you're not familiar with the language, city, etc.? Thanks in advance for any help you can provide. 

We pick our hotel (primarily Marriott branded), and email the hotel's Front Desk or Concierge (find out the email from the Marriott Central Reservations number, or the hotel website) to arrange the transfers from the airport to the hotel; and from the hotel to the port.  We utilize the hotel Concierge for many of our needs.  Enjoy your cruise!

• Like 2

Rideshare or Taxi is available in every city (airport) in the world.  Or arrange thru the hotel (more $$$).  As far as hotels, check the port specific threads.

Also (As mentioned above), search the websites of the large hotel brands you are familiar with, and see if they have properties that would be conveniently located.  

Any hotel can arrange a taxi from the hotel to the port.

Edited by Nachosdelux
  • Like 1

The least hassle imo is to arrange ahead of time for a car service. Either on your own (online) or through your hotel or TA.

Less expensive but perhaps barely more hassle, in most cities you could also use a ride share app (could be a local brand eg in Bangkok or Singapore at the moment Grab works better than Uber) or in some cities you can easily get a taxi. You will need local cell service and data for the apps to work for you. 

The hotels that offer a shuttle may or may not be a good idea - once we stayed at a very dated Days Inn at Miami airport with included airport and cruise port shuttles. Old and crowded buses anyone? Although a very low price... 

O doesn't have a list that I know of and their hotel option is usually way more than you would pay directly to the same hotel reserving on your own. 

• Like 2

Since you didn’t mention the city, it is hard to make specific recommendations or share real experiences.   Oceania does have pre cruise hotels but they charge a significant premium for them.    We have traveled all over the world and never had an issue with transportation, whether relying on Taxi, Car Service or Uber/Lyft.    Some countries do not allow Uber/Lyft so be sure and research in advance.

We are currently on Sirena and for our current leg (which ends in Lisbon) Oceania is charging $149 per person for transfer from ship to airport.   😵💫😵💫😵💫. But did disclose that a taxi is approx. 30€.

Joe

Edited by JoePDX
  • Like 2

We always ask the hotel concierge or front desk to arrange a pick up at the hotel to the port. Our preferred choice of hotel is Hilton and it has been very easy. The front desk staff at just about every hotel will be fluent in English so don't worry about the language barrier. My suggestion is to not use whatever Oceania transportation might provide because it will be quite a bit more expensive than what you can arrange on your own.  Airports will have ground transportation via taxi or Uber to the hotel without having to arrange it ahead of time. 

This has been our experience. 

if you mention the city where you will embarking I am sure some can recommend  hotels & transportation

You could also look at booking the hotel via Oceania  then the transfer from the airport  to the hotel & from hotel to the ship is included

Check the cruise & prices for the hotel offer  it is PP so do the math

Usually if you do your own it can work out cheaper  but   sometimes is pays to go with convenience over cost

Personal choice

Like others here, this isn't easy to answer.  First, we need to know which port ... if you only want to stay overnight before boarding, that isn't so difficult. But it's quite different if you are staying in central London or in Barcelona, much nearer to the port.  If you are only coming into a city like London or Paris, I would assume you are just spending the night and then trying to get to the port.

We usually arrive 3 days before departure, which is a different kettle of ... whatever.

We've never used a ride shore to get to the port but we have used car services.  Often, when we consulted with other passengers on our roll call -- generally when going into a city, not leaving -- we find others to share with us.

Sometimes we've just hired a private cab/car service.

Many years ago we flew into Heathrow and transferred to Dover (for our ship) by train and bus.  It took a while but it was really cheap!  Again, we were coming in several days before the cruise.

Some hotels will provide transfers, usually at a fee.  Again, it depends on where you will be spending the night and which port you are going to.

We are planning on arriving in London in late August for a cruise.  Are we going to spend a few days in London as we usually do or save some money and just fly into LRH and find a Southampton hotel for the night before the cruise?  We haven't decided that part yet.

Mura

We are interested in the Holy Land tour, leaving Rome and ending in Israel. Honestly, it's the airfare that's putting a damper on the whole idea. If we book airfare through O, we're concerned about multiple layovers. In our experience, the more layovers, the more likely luggage gets lost. That's why we always fly nonstop. Also, my husband needs the extra legroom, so we definitely need preferred seating.  If we book our own flights, it's ridiculously expensive, since we're arriving at one airport and leaving from another(around $5000 extra). Thanks so much for you comments and ideas so far. Everyone has great suggestions. 

1 hour ago, Lisa.D. said:

How are you pricing the fare - two one-way fares or a multi-city?   That difference seems out of line if using multi-city.   Use a site like Google Flights.   Also for your question about transfers/transportation.  Rome cruises embark in Civitavecchia which is a distance from Rome.   For this a taxi is not the best option.   You should look into a car service.  Google “Rome Cruise Transfer” for options.   I have used Rome in Limo in the past. 

Joe

Edited by JoePDX

I didn't realize the ship was going to be such a distance from the airport. I hadn't got that far in the planning, so thank you for the heads up. You're right about the airfare...I was in a rush and didn't look for the multi city option. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lisa.D. said:

I didn't realize the ship was going to be such a distance from the airport. I hadn't got that far in the planning, so thank you for the heads up. You're right about the airfare...I was in a rush and didn't look for the multi city option. 

Yes, one way flights internationally are not cost effective. The open-jaw should be similar to the average of the round trip to either city (generalizing...always exceptions).

One thing I sometimes do, when flights are absurdly high, is find the major airport with the best deal round trip (as in half the price of other cities); this year it is Heathrow from where I live. Then since I am a 6-10+ hour drive from major cities, I fly to a major city then fly non-stop to Heathrow. I stay at Heathrow overnight in both directions. Then the next (or previous on return) day I fly a regional flight or take the train (booked separately) to wherever I need to go. It takes longer but reduces stress a ton while costing less (including the hotel and regional flights).

On 3/27/2023 at 6:49 PM, Lisa.D. said:

Lisa, if I were you I wouldn't worry about getting from airport to hotel and, later, from the hotel to the pier.  From the airport to the hotel, a taxi will get you there with a minimal amount of trouble.  As long as you can say the name of your hotel, the cab driver can get you there.  If you're not feeling comfortable that you can pronounce it correctly, have the name & address written down in advance and hand it to the driver.  Going from the hotel to the pier, the same applies.  Most hotels are happy to call a cab on your behalf and staff can explain to the driver where you're going.  Best bet is to let the front desk know the night before where you're going and that you'll need a cab.  Once again, it's safest to have the name of the cruise line & ship (and the terminal, if you know it) written down, in case there is a question.

There are, of course, other options available - car or limo service, Uber, Lyft, hotel shuttles, etc. - but, for minimal fuss and effort, just use taxis until you're more-comfortably returned to a traveling state of mind.