Flying int9 Canada, need help with my research

cgolf1

So I have started to research a US citizen flying into Canada. I am not learning much and what I am sounds easy. Below is what I have found. 

We just need to bring our passports

dont bring meat products like beef jerky even if it is sealed. 
medication in original containers. Need to buy smaller Alleve and Guafenison because I don’t want to carry the Costco jumbo bottle;)
Didn’t see any restrictions on prepackaged breakfast items like granola bars or bagged peanuts or cashews. 

The part I am confused on is it doesn’t seem as if we need to fill out a declaration form of any kind. This doesn’t make sense. 

Again this is to aid in my research, I will trust but verify any answers. We have not flown outside of the US before. 

5 minutes ago, Rubyfisch said:

I haven't flown into Canada in a couple of years, but I scanned my passport at a kiosk, answered a couple of questions, and it printed out a form. I handed the form to the agent and went on my way.

Do they ask you the cost of stuff bringing in? I saw something and I am now costing out my camera and CPAP machine because of government site I read. 

18 minutes ago, cgolf1 said:

Do they ask you the cost of stuff bringing in? I saw something and I am now costing out my camera and CPAP machine because of government site I read. 

I assume you are a US citizen visiting Canada and get on a cruise, right? The declarations references you saw most likely apply to Canadian citizens returning to Canada with goods they bought outside of Canada - i.e., the import duties. As long as you aren't planning on selling your CPAP machine in Canada, you don't need to declare it on a form.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

That was the one I saw that I needed to declare in Canadian dollars the cost of my stuff under making my declaration. Almost have that stuff figured out anyways and if they don’t ask all the better. 

33 minutes ago, Rubyfisch said:

I assume you are a US citizen visiting Canada and get on a cruise, right? The declarations references you saw most likely apply to Canadian citizens returning to Canada with goods they bought outside of Canada - i.e., the import duties. As long as you aren't planning on selling your CPAP machine in Canada, you don't need to declare it on a form.

Yes we are doing the Montreal to Boston cruise. The odd bit is on the Link that was shared the declaration part makes it seem like you do. Honestly then you wonder if you just leave the camera and stuff home. It will probably be easy, the planning is always tougher than reality. 

Edited by cgolf1

12 minutes ago, cgolf1 said:

That was the one I saw that I needed to declare in Canadian dollars the cost of my stuff under making my declaration. Almost have that stuff figured out anyways and if they don’t ask all the better. 

I think you are just required to declare cash over $10,000.

any gifts

any items you are leaving/selling in Canada

alcohol /tobacco

When we travel we  have  form we fill out to prove we owned the items when we left Canada  like out camera/laptop etc..

Maybe the USA has something  similar for you personal items

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

I think you are just required to declare cash over $10,000.

any gifts

any items you are leaving/selling in Canada

alcohol /tobacco

When we travel we  have  form we fill out to prove we owned the items when we left Canada  like out camera/laptop etc..

Maybe the USA has something  similar for you personal items

I will look into that. Maybe it’s on the US side I need to be worried about which is typical;) hopefully they are friendlier. For some reason my carry on needed to be rescanned and I saw my bag with my good DSLR, brand new long lens, and CPAP get tossed very roughly onto a cart. Was seeing red but I knew calling them out on it was more trouble than it was worth. 

Want to clarify the rough handling of the carry on bag was going through TSA in the US I honestly don’t think we can even complain so I let it go and thankfully the bag has a ton of padding so everything was just fine. 

5 minutes ago, Cali Viajera said:

We are on the Caribbean Princess NE/Canada cruise in October. Will we need to complete the ArriveCan?

No, it was eliminated as a mandatory document for cruisers months ago. As of now it's still in place only as an optional document that can be used by air travelers arriving at certain Canadian airports.

Of course things could change by the time you cruise in October.

45 minutes ago, Cali Viajera said:

We are on the Caribbean Princess NE/Canada cruise in October. Will we need to complete the ArriveCan?

The ArriveCan app has morphed from a COVID-tracking tool (which didn't work very well in any case) to what it should have been all along. It's basically now a voluntary replacement for that little card we used to fill out in the airplane prior to arrival in Canada. We always do the ArriveCan submission, as it only takes a minute or two. Can't say what will happen if you don't pre-complete ArriveCan, but worst case it would mean a few extra seconds and a few more questions from the CBSA agent when you land. No big thing, maybe download the app and do a mock submission, answering the questions to get a feel for it, just DON'T hit Submit ;o)

Thank you both for the info. We did ArriveCan back in June after a cruise from Alaska. The app is still on my phone!

6 hours ago, lx200gps said:

The ArriveCan app has morphed from a COVID-tracking tool (which didn't work very well in any case) to what it should have been all along. It's basically now a voluntary replacement for that little card we used to fill out in the airplane prior to arrival in Canada. We always do the ArriveCan submission, as it only takes a minute or two. Can't say what will happen if you don't pre-complete ArriveCan, but worst case it would mean a few extra seconds and a few more questions from the CBSA agent when you land. No big thing, maybe download the app and do a mock submission, answering the questions to get a feel for it, just DON'T hit Submit ;o)

7 hours ago, njhorseman said:

No, it was eliminated as a mandatory document for cruisers months ago. As of now it's still in place only as an optional document that can be used by air travelers arriving at certain Canadian airports.

Of course things could change by the time you cruise in October.