Dogs on the shios

Travelingwithstyle

We are currently on the Viking Star with 600+ passengers.  We are having a great time.  Our one concern is the 4 four dogs on board that get to sit in our chairs around the ship ( living room, restaurant and in the theater).  A few bark too.

I wanted to start this topic to see if this is the new norm for cruising.  Are others seeing more "emotional support" dogs on board the Azamara ships or any other cruise lines?

I have seen both working dogs for those with sight difficulties and emotional support dogs on Azamara.  The majority are absolutely no issue (wish other guests would realise they are working, ok you are missing your doggie back home but you do not go and pat those dogs!).  Unfortunately there was one lady with an emotional support dog that gave issues as she appeared not to need support all the time so the dog stayed in the room some nights whilst she was in the bar and it barked a lot.  She also fed it at the table I believe the hotel director dealt very firmly with the issue.

I believe in this era of the requirements for adaptations for disabled travellers and the availability of pet passports you will see a lot more emotional support animals onboard.  I read (may be an urban myth though my source was good) someone had a comfort parrot on RCI.  Personally I fancy a comfort monkey as it will blend in nicely

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Vineyard View said:

Support dogs are supposed to be well trained. That should include not sitting on furniture. 

I think there was a view that the one on Azamara was not a support dog although there was some paperwork signed by a medical professional that said it was.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If so that is the problem.  People did the same with a whole menagerie of animals in the past, and it forced airlines to adjust and make new rules to stop it. A true service dog would not sit on furniture. Cruise lines need to get their arms around their rules as did the airline industry. It’s unacceptable dogs sitting on furniture and barking. 

Edited by Vineyard View
  • Like 10

Ok. This is the type of thread that could have dog’s lovers confronted with the rest of the world (which probably are a minority). I refrain to comment specially on the issue of emotional support dogs. 
Just for the record we love our rescued dog, she behaves well and if we could, we would take her with us. But…
Ivi

• Like 1

We love our dog as well. We miss her when we travel. A lot. That said. NO. Not on a ship. 
take a look on the Viking boards pictures and there truly are no words. So I need not say more. 
Similar but smaller scale on another board. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

One of the main reasons for me to cruise is to avoid dogs. I'm very afraid of any kind of dog and also I don't like their smell, their barking, sniffing, drooling and how they're wagging their tails. So...I cruise. It's really the only kind of vacation to take without being alert all day. If cruising will be changed into sailing with dogs, I would never cruise again. A pity, because there's not much left, because they really show up everywhere 😱 Well, accept for my home sweet home. 🏠

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Dudeljo said:

One of the main reasons for me to cruise is to avoid dogs. I'm very afraid of any kind of dog and also I don't like their smell, their barking, sniffing, drooling and how they're wagging their tails. So...I cruise. It's really the only kind of vacation to take without being alert all day. If cruising will be changed into sailing with dogs, I would never cruise again. A pity, because there's not much left, because they really show up everywhere 😱 Well, accept for my home sweet home. 🏠

Unfortunately the people who say "but my dog is different and he will never hurt you" just don't care about your dog issues.

DON

• Like 1