I asked Chat GPT what to do when I board the ship

Sigyn

I asked Chat GPT what's the first thing I should do when I board the ship. Here's what it told me:

The first thing you should do on a Caribbean cruise at embarkation is to check in and board the ship.

When you arrive at the cruise terminal, you will need to go through a check-in process to receive your key card, which serves as your room key and also allows you to make purchases on the ship. You will also need to present your passport or other identification documents, and your boarding pass.

Once you have completed the check-in process and received your key card, you can proceed to board the ship. Before you do so, you will need to pass through a security screening that will involve passing your carry-on luggage through an x-ray machine, and you may also need to pass through a metal detector.

Once you have boarded the ship, you can start to explore and familiarize yourself with the layout and amenities of the ship. You can also attend the mandatory safety drill that takes place before the ship sets sail. After the safety drill, you can start to enjoy your Caribbean cruise by relaxing on the deck, exploring the ship's restaurants and bars, and attending any onboard activities or events that interest you.

Edited by njsmom
  • Haha 2

That answer is reasonably close although a little out of date. 

Please ask it the following:

Should I buy The Key?

What should I wear to dinner on formal night on a cruise ship?

Who should I tip on a cruise ship, and how much should I give them?

• Haha 3

As with most things when it comes to software, the problem is not with the output, but the information during the input by humans.

The human asked a very general question. The output provided by the software was also very general and, in most respects, correct.

AI has been around for years and can be very useful. However, it's not foolproof yet. I've seen it used in medical imagining. The AI can direct a radiologist to an anomaly that it predicts is an area of interest, but it still requires a professional radiologist's human eyeball.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, klfrodo said:

As with most things when it comes to software, the problem is not with the output, but the information during the input by humans.

The human asked a very general question. The output provided by the software was also very general and, in most respects, correct.

AI has been around for years and can be very useful. However, it's not foolproof yet. I've seen it used in medical imagining. The AI can direct a radiologist to an anomaly that it predicts is an area of interest, but it still requires a professional radiologist's human eyeball.

Also the newer chatbots aren't supposed to be used as search engines, which is what the answer to many questions from individual users are seeking.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, crewsweeper said:

Another reason these AI things aren't ready for prime time.

Your view is glass half empty... When I read it, I was like yikes!  That's like 90% there lol.

If it had read go sign the waiver at the flowrider and pass your boogie and stand up test I would be ready to serve as a servant to the glorious AI.

Edited by Blur
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I just asked Chat GBT the following question

is cruisecritic.com a good source of information for new cruisers

The answer was

Yes, Cruise Critic is generally considered to be a good source of information for new cruisers. It is a popular website that provides a wealth of information about various cruise lines, ships, itineraries, and destinations.

Cruise Critic offers reviews and ratings of different aspects of cruising, such as the quality of food, service, entertainment, and activities on board. They also provide helpful tips for first-time cruisers, such as what to pack, what to expect on embarkation day, and how to make the most of your time on board.

In addition to reviews and advice, Cruise Critic also has a large online community of experienced cruisers who can offer helpful insights and answer questions from new cruisers. This can be a valuable resource for those who are looking for personalized recommendations and advice.

Overall, Cruise Critic can be a great resource for new cruisers who are looking to learn more about cruising and make informed decisions about their upcoming trip.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Blur said:

Your view is glass half empty... When I read it, I was like yikes!  That's like 90% there lol.

If it had read go sign the waiver at the flowrider and pass your boogie and stand up test I would be ready to serve as a servant to the glorious AI.

Not so much 1/2 and 1/2 as it told me absolutely nothing I didn't already know and the OP ? appeared directed to activities on board versus just terminal arrival.  But again, Chat GBT isn't a search engine.

1 minute ago, crewsweeper said:

Not so much 1/2 and 1/2 as it told me absolutely nothing I didn't already know and the OP ? appeared directed to activities on board versus just terminal arrival.  But again, Chat GBT isn't a search engine.

Answer was still better than what I've seen from real people lol.  I am a software engineer by trade so understand what it is.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, klfrodo said:

In addition to reviews and advice, Cruise Critic also has a large online community of experienced cruisers who can offer helpful insights and answer questions from new cruisers. This can be a valuable resource for those who are looking for personalized recommendations and advice.

Needs to add: Cruise Critic can also be quite entertaining as many of the topics covered will inevitably turn into an argument of some sort between members, resulting in a beating of the digital dead horse. 🍿

• Haha 3

10 minutes ago, GetToLivin said:

Needs to add: Cruise Critic can also be quite entertaining as many of the topics covered will inevitably turn into an argument of some sort between members, resulting in a beating of the digital dead horse. 🍿

I think you just added it... Prob in the next revision of chat gpt.

Edited by Blur
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, HicksRA said:

Or ask it what percentage of urine is considered healthy in a cruise ship hot tub. 

Here you go:

There are no specific guidelines on an acceptable percentage of urine in a cruise ship hot tub or any hot tub for that matter. Ideally, there should be no urine in a hot tub at all. Hot tubs and pools are meant to be sanitary and safe for users, and the presence of urine can introduce contaminants and negatively impact water quality.

To maintain a clean and healthy hot tub environment, the water should be treated regularly with appropriate sanitizing chemicals, such as chlorine or bromine, and the filtration system should be in proper working order. Regular testing of the water's chemical balance is crucial, and users should always shower before entering the hot tub to minimize the introduction of contaminants.

As a hot tub user, it's essential to follow proper etiquette and avoid urinating in the water to ensure a healthy and enjoyable experience for everyone.

Edited by njsmom
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, SG65CB said:

That answer is reasonably close although a little out of date. 

Please ask it the following:

Should I buy The Key?

What should I wear to dinner on formal night on a cruise ship?

Who should I tip on a cruise ship, and how much should I give them?

Done.

Whether or not you should purchase "The Key" on Royal Caribbean depends on your personal preferences, budget, and planned activities during your cruise.

"The Key" is an exclusive program offered by Royal Caribbean that provides guests with various perks and benefits, such as:

• Priority check-in and boarding
  • Private hours at select onboard activities (e.g., rock climbing, FlowRider, ice-skating, etc.)
  • Priority disembarkation at tender ports
  • Priority seating at shows and events
  • Complimentary Voom Surf & Stream Wi-Fi for one device
  • Special embarkation day lunch at a specialty restaurant
  • Priority disembarkation on the final day of the cruise

If you value these perks and think they will enhance your cruise experience, then "The Key" might be worth considering. However, keep in mind that there is an additional cost for this program, which varies based on the length of your cruise and ship.

Before purchasing "The Key," consider the following:

• How important are the listed benefits to you?
  • Do you have a flexible budget for your cruise vacation?
  • Are you planning to participate in many onboard activities or attend shows that may have limited seating or long wait times?
  • Do you require internet access during your cruise?

If you find that the benefits of "The Key" align with your preferences and you're willing to spend extra for the convenience, then it may be a good investment. However, if you feel that you can manage without these additional perks or if you're on a tight budget, then you might want to skip "The Key" and allocate your money towards other experiences or amenities during your cruise.

Formal night on a cruise ship is an opportunity for guests to dress up and enjoy a more elegant dining experience. The dress code varies slightly by cruise line, but here are some general guidelines for what to wear on formal night:

For men:

• Suit and tie: A dark suit with a dress shirt and tie is a classic choice for formal night. You can also wear a sports coat or blazer with dress pants if you prefer a slightly less formal look.
  • Tuxedo: If you want to go all out, a tuxedo is a great option. Some cruise lines even offer tuxedo rentals onboard for your convenience.
  • Dress shoes: Complete your outfit with a pair of polished dress shoes.

For women:

• Cocktail dress: A knee-length or slightly longer cocktail dress is an appropriate choice for formal night. Choose a dress that flatters your figure and makes you feel confident.
  • Evening gown: If you prefer a more glamorous look, a floor-length evening gown is an elegant option.
  • Dressy separates: For a more casual yet still sophisticated look, consider dressy separates like a blouse with a skirt or dress pants.
  • Dress shoes: Complete your outfit with a pair of dressy shoes, such as heels or dressy flats.

Accessories can also help elevate your outfit and make it feel more special. Consider adding jewelry, a clutch, or a wrap for women, and cufflinks, a pocket square, or a boutonniere for men.

Remember to check your specific cruise line's dress code guidelines, as some may have slightly different requirements for formal night attire. It's important to feel comfortable and confident in your outfit while adhering to the dress code to fully enjoy your formal night dining experience.

Tipping on a cruise ship is a way to show appreciation for the hardworking staff who help make your vacation enjoyable. The amount and distribution of tips can vary by cruise line, but here's a general guideline for tipping on most cruise ships:
  • Stateroom attendant: This person is responsible for keeping your room clean and comfortable throughout your stay. A common tip is around $3.50 to $5.00 per guest, per day.

• Dining room waiter: Your main waiter in the dining room provides you with personalized meal service each evening. The suggested tip is around $3.50 to $5.00 per guest, per day.

• Assistant waiter: This staff member assists the main waiter and provides additional service during meals. A tip of around $2.00 to $3.00 per guest, per day is customary.

• Headwaiter or maitre d': If you receive special services from the headwaiter or maitre d', such as arranging a special meal or accommodating dietary restrictions, you may want to tip them separately. This is discretionary, and an appropriate amount could be $10 to $20 for the entire cruise, depending on the level of service provided.

• Buffet and casual dining staff: Tipping is generally not expected at buffet and casual dining venues onboard, as the service is usually self-serve. However, if a staff member goes above and beyond, you may choose to give them a small tip.

• Bar and lounge staff: Most cruise lines automatically add a 15-18% gratuity to bar and lounge bills. Check your receipt to ensure this is the case, and if not, you can tip a similar percentage based on your total bill.

• Spa and salon services: For spa and salon treatments, a 15-20% tip based on the cost of the service is customary, unless a gratuity is already included in the price.

• Room service: A small tip of around $2 to $5 per delivery is appreciated for room service, unless the cruise line has a no-tipping policy for this service.

Some cruise lines have an automatic daily gratuity charge, which covers tips for stateroom and dining staff. Check your cruise line's policy to see if this is the case, and adjust your tipping accordingly. You can always give additional tips to individual staff members who provided exceptional service.

Finally, tipping customs may vary by country and region, so it's a good idea to research local practices before your cruise to ensure you're following appropriate etiquette.

Edited by njsmom
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, GetToLivin said:

Or if non-suite guests can go through the suite line with you

Apparently Chat GPT knows all.

Cruise lines typically offer priority boarding and check-in for suite guests as a perk for booking a higher-category stateroom. However, policies regarding non-suite guests accompanying suite passengers through the priority boarding line can vary by cruise line and sometimes by the ship itself.

In some cases, if you are traveling with a group or family and one of your party is staying in a suite, the cruise line may allow non-suite guests to go through the suite line with the suite guest as a courtesy. This can be particularly true if the group is traveling under the same booking or reservation number.

However, other cruise lines might have stricter policies and may not allow non-suite guests to use the suite line, even if they are part of your travel group. In such cases, non-suite guests would need to use the general boarding line.

To avoid any confusion or delays, it's best to contact your specific cruise line before your trip to inquire about their policy for non-suite guests accompanying suite passengers during boarding. Be prepared to provide your booking or reservation details to get accurate information.

I'm about to leave for the Caribbean. I asked it what to do. Here's the response:

What is the best thing to do in the Caribbean on a cruise ship?

The Caribbean offers a wide variety of activities and experiences for cruise ship passengers, and the "best" thing to do largely depends on your interests and preferences. Here are some popular activities and experiences to consider when cruising the Caribbean:

• Beaches: The Caribbean is known for its stunning white-sand beaches and crystal-clear waters. Relaxing on the beach, swimming, and sunbathing are among the most popular activities for cruise passengers.

• Water sports: The Caribbean's warm waters are perfect for snorkeling, scuba diving, kayaking, paddleboarding, and other water sports. Many ports offer excursions or rental equipment for these activities.

• Historical sites: The Caribbean has a rich history, and many ports offer the opportunity to explore historical landmarks, such as forts, plantations, and colonial-era towns.

• Local culture: Experience the Caribbean's vibrant culture through music, dance, and local cuisine. Visit markets, attend cultural performances, or take a cooking class to immerse yourself in the local culture.

• Nature and wildlife: The Caribbean is home to unique ecosystems and wildlife. Take a rainforest hike, visit a botanical garden, or go on a bird-watching tour to explore the region's natural beauty.

• Adventure activities: For thrill-seekers, the Caribbean offers zip-lining, ATV tours, horseback riding, and other adventure activities.

• Shopping: Many Caribbean ports are known for duty-free shopping, offering great deals on jewelry, watches, clothing, and other items.

To find the best activity for you, consider your interests, the specific ports on your itinerary, and the time you have available at each destination. You can research and book shore excursions through your cruise line or use independent operators for more personalized or unique experiences. Remember to read reviews and compare options to make the most of your Caribbean cruise vacation.

Edited by njsmom

1 minute ago, SG65CB said:

I'm not going to requote the whole thing, but that is awesome!

It wrote an essay about each topic. The information looks reasonable. 

it's remarkable!