The Marina

FLgemini

Just saw a Seabourn TV commercial. In it, they promote their ships’ marinas. I’ve been on four Seabourn voyages: three on Quest and one on Ovataion. Traveled to Baltic, S. America/Antarctica, New England/Canada and Southern Caribbean. Three of those four were two weeks or longer. Not once on any of those voayages was anything offered from the Marina. So, under what itinerary or circumstances does Seabourn use them? Looks prettty cool!

1 minute ago, FLgemini said:

Just saw a Seabourn TV commercial. In it, they promote their ships’ marinas. I’ve been on four Seabourn voyages: three on Quest and one on Ovataion. Traveled to Baltic, S. America/Antarctica, New England/Canada and Southern Caribbean. Three of those four were two weeks or longer. Not once on any of those voayages was anything offered from the Marina. So, under what itinerary or circumstances does Seabourn use them? Looks prettty cool!

We've only seen the marina used twice on our SB cruises.  I think one issue is that the conditions have to be exactly right.  I would never count on seeing the marina used.  It puzzles me when they use it in advertising.  

• Like 1

I've never understood the fascination with the marina on these ships. When it is available, it's for things like being towed on an inflatable banana or blow-up plastic loveseat until everyone falls in the water, or kayaking in the open bay near the ship. It's not snorkeling some see undersea life; it's not jet-skiing around an island or lagoon; it's not water skiing or parasailing; you can't just go swimming off the back of the ship. When we've seen it (on a Caribbean cruise), it's been available for 90 minutes or two hours on one day of the cruise. If you like getting dunked from a banana boat, go for it — but it's certainly not something I'd be super excited about, or be concerned whether sea conditions will or won't allow. 

• Like 6

5 hours ago, Techno123 said:

They were using those banana boats in 2016 and 2017 which is when we last sailed with Seabourn. We took a kayak out instead 😁

Can you bring it back please as they are still one missing. 

• Haha 6

On 4/5/2023 at 11:58 AM, MBP&O2/O said:

What about places like Alaska where many excursions are small boat based and the ship is in the middle of a fjord away from land? Or do they use shore based companies to supply the kayaks and zodiacs?

Seabourn uses the marina off the ship to send out the Zodiacs in Alaska.  But you don't get to go play in the water!