How do people afford $20,000 suites?

Sigyn

13 hours ago, njsmom said:

save from paychecks. we actually have one savings account that's just for travel and fun stuff and we put extra money into that. I move $1,500 a month from checking into that savings account. our investment accounts are something else entirely, separate from 401Ks and inherited accounts and everything else. 

I still don’t understand why? We have all our money working for us through all types of investments. We only pull them from there when we actually book something.

10 hours ago, PolicromaSol said:

Now here's one I don't get... How is it all of you have old folks that aren't afraid of boats? I'd love to take my mom or mother-in-law on one of these things... The issue is getting one of them on one!

Haha they've never been on a cruise. That's the one thing we couldn't get them to do. They would come to Disney with us, or Hawaii, or just road trips to the mountains.

11 hours ago, vswan said:

And don't forget resort fees. Seems all hotels have those now.

Only parking.  My point was staying at a value resort does not cost anywhere near $800 per night.  At $620 per night, even adding tax and parking, Disney’s top property can be had for less than $800 per night.

Edited by poocher

8 minutes ago, poocher said:

Only parking.  My point was staying at a value resort does not cost anywhere near $800 per night.  At $620 per night, even adding tax and parking, Disney’s top property can be had for less than $800 per night.

not when converted to Cdn 🤪🤪

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, gkbiiii said:

Disney Financially Speaking: When I worked for Disney in Florida, 12 years ago, we estimated a week vacation at the parks was $10,000+ for the land cost.  The cruise line was a relative bargain.  There are many people who on the DIS blogs mention; eating rice & beans (for months) to save for these trips.

Now in 2023, the pricing of their WDW onsite basic motel accommodations, are upwards of $800 a night, so most likely $20,000+ for the seven day week.  The top suites on Disney, easily would top $20,000++ for a week.  The sky is truly the limit, for those in this type of cult mentality. Disney is a religion to many, one that bleeds them $$$$$+, every chance they get.

Disney is insanely expensive. We decided it's not really worth it to us. Our family doesn't enjoy it enough to warrant it. We spent $9,000 to take all five of us to Italy for 12 days including airfare. We spent exactly what you say - $10,000 - for 7 days for four of us (one couldn't go) to Disney and stay at the deluxe hotels. Insane prices. Italy or Disney. Not a difficult decision. Our entire family, kids included, preferred Italy. 

13 hours ago, poocher said:

I can get a room at Pop Century for under $250 a night.  Where are you getting $800???

CC7B501A-691B-4EF2-889F-E4E049CCFD54.png

I'm guessing the $800 is the estimate once park tickets, food, and souvenirs are added to the cost. I see $800 as the daily cost of attending WDW if you stay in a value hotel. And the $213 is before all of the taxes and fees that are thrown in. I bet it's about $300 a night once those are tacked on.  

Edited by njsmom

See and just as you ask about $20,000 cruise suites, I ask about $10,000 7 day trips to Disney.  I can only assume you booked the most expensive everything you could.  I took my extended family (4 adults, 4 kids) for a week and spent under $8000 total.  The kids did everything they wanted, we ate sit down meals on property every night including character meals,  lots of souvenirs.  I am a OCD bargain hunter I guess.

I remember waiting in line for Magical Express talking to my daughter about our various dinner reservations.  The gentleman behind us commented on how much food was gonna cost us.  I smiled and told him all our meals were free (gave up a room discount of about $30 per night for free dining).  Thought he was gonna lose it as his TA never mentioned that promotion.  It’s all in the research.

14 hours ago, Tapi said:

You got that right. Start this thread at one of the luxury cruise line message boards, and you’ll get some truly eye opening and humbling answers.

On Royal Caribbean and other mass market lines, the suite people are the top 5%. On the luxury lines, the suite people are everybody; 100%. 

Very, very true. That's a different level of wealth. I have looked at what I consider mid-luxury suites on Silverseas and Oceania (not the $34K suites on the Ritz Carlton's new yacht) and they're not bad for what you get - $9K to $10K for two adults, all drinks, some excursions, etc., included, with a butler and a very high level of service and food. I think those could be worth it. I have only opted against it because I realize I might like it TOO much and never want to cruise "down" again! It's like eating the best dessert in the world. You don't want to know it exists because then I'll want it all the time and gain a bunch of weight. And yet I cannot cruise like that all the time, nor eating crazy fattening desserts all the time. 

It is funny that others here questioned why I need to save to get the immediate cash on hand for what amounts to $35K of carpeting and a garage remodel. If I had $35K extra cash sitting around that wasn't earmarked for other expenditures such as kids college tuition, high school tuition, mortgage, bills, or general savings accounts, I wouldn't be questioning how people spend $20K on a cruise ship suite. That was the whole point of this thread. 😂

6 minutes ago, poocher said:

I remember waiting in line for Magical Express talking to my daughter about our various dinner reservations.  The gentleman behind us commented on how much food was gonna cost us.  I smiled and told him all our meals were free (gave up a room discount of about $30 per night for free dining).  Thought he was gonna lose it as his TA never mentioned that promotion.  It’s all in the research.

You did fantastic with your deals! I tacked mine onto a business trip so I didn't have time to do tons of research, just kinda went with what was there. We stayed at the beach club and really loved it, but yeah, no discounts to be had, and we booked so late there were no dining packages, either. Did a character breakfast, a couple special things like Star Wars, etc. Honestly, we spent just under $9K out of pocket, but that was because one night was part of my business trip and my flight was covered through my work trip. But it was $10K overall with what my company paid, too. Just nutty how much everything was. but we were at beach club, not the grand Floridian. I have stayed at the Polynesian for work trips, too, and love that, but would never pay $700 a night out of pocket. The beach club was $450 a night plus all the taxes and fees, so like $500 a night. all of the food, and flights, and car rental, just added up so very fast. and tickets to the park. ouch. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, graphicguy said:

Remind me again why it matter what others spend for a cruise?

Because this is Cruise Critic and we LOVE to know why anyone does anything differently than we do. 😱

And, of course, being CCer's we LOVE to judge others who do things differently too.😉

😁

Edited by DirtyDawg
  • Like 2
  • Haha 5

7 minutes ago, DirtyDawg said:

Because this is Cruise Critic and we LOVE to know why anyone does anything differently than we do. 😱

And, of course, being CCer's we LOVE to judge others who do things differently too.😉

😁

Exactly.  This debate really makes no difference to how we go about our daily lives. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, graphicguy said:

Remind me again why it matter what others spend for a cruise?

Don't you know that only we know how to spend money right?!

Edited by Tatka
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Cayman1 said:

It wasn't asked WHY, it was asked HOW. Big difference.

It was not "how". OP went to tell us she or he knows how to earn money.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tatka said:

It was not "how". OP went to tell us she or he knows how to earn money.

The topic subject is "How do people afford $20,000 suites"... Not "Why are people spending $20,000 on suites".

6 minutes ago, Cayman1 said:

The topic subject is "How do people afford $20,000 suites"... Not "Why are people spending $20,000 on suites".

Formally question is "how", but meaning of it is "why".

Please re-read.

OP clearly knows how to earn money. She/he earned more than enough money to pay for suites. So she/he can guess that other people can earn enough money too. (Not sure credit card was mentioned  🙂 )

OP is questioning spending/savings habits.

Edited by Tatka

2 minutes ago, Cayman1 said:

Agreed.  The first Paragraph is WHO and HOW.  The last paragraph is asking WHO, not why.  In the middle is blowing his/her own horn a little but also explaining that he/she can't afford a $20,000.00 cruise, even with their considerable wealth.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Tatka said:

Formally question is "how", but meaning of it is "why".

Please re-read.

OP clearly knows how to earn money. She/he earned more than enough money to pay for suites. So she/he can guess that other people can earn enough money too.

OP questions spending/savings habits.

I have read the entire post... she is trying to understand how people do it, thus why she is asking in the very first post, and first paragraph, if people are putting it on credit cards, etc.

Maybe you interpretation is different... that is fine, as I could care less on why people spend this kind of money... but I do find the how's interesting.

6 minutes ago, Cayman1 said:

I have read the entire post... she is trying to understand how people do it, thus why she is asking in the very first post, and first paragraph, if people are putting it on credit cards, etc.

Maybe you interpretation is different... that is fine, as I could care less on why people spend this kind of money... but I do find the how's interesting.

OP describes their earnings (well into 6 digits salary each) and savings ($2 millions). Please tell me OP does not understand how $20K for a suite can be earned?

Or does OP really spend two 6 digits salaries on living expenses?

Does OP thinks only they can earn money?

What do you think is a question?

Edited by Tatka

Curious so did some googling...  

Looks like net worth for top 0.1% in US was about 25 million... ( 1 in 1000)

Also top 1% makes about ~700k a year so on (10 in 1000) 

Given a ship has roughly 5000 people there could be up to 50 people 1% and 5 people in top 0.1%, so very possible people just have that sort of $.

We have many people in the US making a ton of money lol.