Prima out of Rome or Epic out of Rome

kohanfam

I am debating whether to book Prima out of Rome with Italy and Greece in mid October 2024 or similar cruise on Epic late September.  Leaning towards Prima because it’s a newish ship and because of some negatives with the Epic.  Also like some things on Prima like observation deck.  Would appreciate others opinions.

i think your determining factors would be price, itinerary and specific cabin. 

all things being equal, i would pick the prima just because it's a new ship and i'd like to check out the bells and whistles.

that being said, however, we've been on the epic twice and no real problems or complaints, although the have aft cabin suites leave a little to be desired

• Like 1

We loved the Epic and will actually be doing pretty much the same cruise on her next year too. Loved the adult only pool in the back but also the water slides (funny that). No issues with the room set up, regardless of what some people say.

Last time I looked, the Prima was way more expensive, just because it’s a new ship. Unless that changes, we stick to the Epic. If it was same price and itinerary (I doubt it), then we’d probably be attracted by the new and sparkling.

While the Epic is my least favorite ship, mainly because you are so isolated from the water, it is still a good cruise ship. I find everything is inward facing; even the promenade deck has obstructed views because of the lifeboats. The criticism I see most often is that families with teens and non-related adults traveling together are sometimes upset by the bathroom and shower in the room itself, but as a couple we didn't mind that as much. You can search for images of the bathroom setup to see if it would bother you.

So price and itinerary would be the differentiator for my wife and I.

• Like 1

I'm with Sydneyberlin,

Epic is my fav!  I think your decision has to come down to what things are important to you on a ship.  I'm hearing the completely new layout of Prima is all about small cozy spaces.  This seems to be causing problems with people having to wait online for an hour+ to get into some of the shows.  I certainly do not consider that a good way to spend my time on vacation. 

I love the solo cabins & lounge on Epic and the wide open spaces.  They also have the best thermal spa on any ship I have ever been on, including other lines.  Think about what things you enjoy most about the ship, and use that to inform your decision.  Have fun!

• Like 1

we love Epic.  just seems to be the ship everyone else loves to hate.

ive heard mixed reviews on Prima, i prefer to let newer ships have 2 or 3 years in service before i try them. kinks worked out and prices go down.

• Like 1

On 3/30/2023 at 11:45 PM, kohanfam said:

I am debating whether to book Prima out of Rome with Italy and Greece in mid October 2024 or similar cruise on Epic late September.  Leaning towards Prima because it’s a newish ship and because of some negatives with the Epic.  Also like some things on Prima like observation deck.  Would appreciate others opinions.

We have sailed on the Epic 7 times and have no problem with the ship and would sail on her again in a heartbeat. We have sailed on the Prima twice (October and December 2022). 

I always pick cruises based on itinerary. The ship is some place to sleep and get a drink.  

If the itineraries are equivalent, then pick the Prima. She is, obviously, newer and has the latest branded restaurants and activities. 

Hi.

I've been on both the Epic (most recent Jan 22) and Prima (B2B Feb 23). I like them both. If money is not an issue, I would choose Prima. The Observation lounge is smaller than on Bliss/Joy but it would be great for watching port sail-in, sail-away and looking out at Europe as you cruise past. Coffee/snacks/bar provided as on the others. The Ocean Walk (their exterior wraparound deck on 8 - a version of the Waterfront) would also be great to give you more places to be outdoors while watching the passing scene and escape crowds. Cabins are larger and beautiful. Indulge Food Hall on deck 8 is a great no-charge dining venue to complement the very good but small buffet on the pool deck. Food in the two main dining rooms is excellent, different menus than other NCL ships. There is a single menu for lunch and another for dinner, but the options are very good. Ship is beautiful. Specialty dining and entertainment venues are elegant, but can get crowded. Prima will feel like a upscale cruise experience. Of course, if my focus were more on ports than the ship experience itself - which for me is what European cruises are all about, the Epic is a wonderful way to see Europe at a better price. Been there, done that, would do it again!

• Thanks 1

Just checked the prices for next year again and there’s a significant difference between the two, plus we prefer the destinations on the Epic as well. 

Looking at pricing, the club mini suites (or whatever they’re called) are significantly cheaper on the Epic. If we were to re-book to the newer vessel but in a similar room/category, then we’re not that far away from upgrading to the Haven on Epic.

So we’ll keep our Epic reservation for now, and would be quite happy with that room again, but keep an eye out on prices and if they were to drop closer to departure, then we might well inquire about a paid upgrade to the Haven.

• Like 1

We did the Prima in January and we're not fans. At all. Too many issues to mention, but I did submit a review on the Reviews page in case you're bored and want to peruse it.

Having said that, we just booked the Epic for end of September, 2024 out of Rome. Great itinerary. We'll see how it goes on the Epic, but we would be hard pressed to go back on the Prima, regardless of the itinerary.

Although there is only around 2-3 weeks difference in timing (late September vs mid October) this is still something you might want to think about. Late September = summer gear/beach time still in Greece. Mid October = it will be most likely pleasant and warm’ish but not beach warm anymore. Late September - very early October tends to be very sunny still but mid/late October sees much more varied weather so expect rain too. Lightweight jacket definitely needed for mid/late October. However the crowds have disappeared by mid October as the tourist season has ended in most of the places so sightseeing can be nicer then. 

Ps. I live in northern part of Europe so am used to (very) cold weather but still I would say mid/late October in Mediterranean is a bit cold’ish already. 

Edited by European_CruiseGirl