Carnival Luminosa April 1 2024 Transpacific, Brisbane to Seattle

• callydanny changed the title to Carnival Luminosa April 1 2024 Transpacific, Brisbane to Seattle
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Booked. I have family in Seattle, so going from my home to theirs - the long way. We are really looking forward to the voyage and the ports we will be visiting along the way.

6 hours ago, spunkie4 said:

Can you recommend a hotel near the Brisbane Airport?  Also, we are die-hard Delta people, but seems American/Quatas offers the best route and price.  Do you have any thought?  

I would recommend staying at the nearby suburb of Hamilton. It contains a range of accommodation styles. Hamilton is convenient to both the airport and the cruise terminal. It is a riverside location, and you can easily get into the city centre by bus or ferry if you want to do some pre-cruise independent touring. There are also lots of places to eat nearby in Racecourse Rd or by the river. Cruise ships used to pull up in Hamilton which was really handy, but the new cruise terminal is out at Luggage Point near the mouth of the river in an industrial area.

Delta don't fly into Brisbane. Direct flights to Brisbane from the USA are currently Qantas (from LAX) or United (from SFO). Of course there are other routes, but they involve stops between the USA and Brisbane. I guess it really depends on what you prefer. I believe that Delta flies to Sydney.

I have never flown across the Pacific myself, so I can't personally recommend any particular airline.

8 hours ago, spunkie4 said:

Can you recommend a hotel near the Brisbane Airport?  Also, we are die-hard Delta people, but seems American/Quatas offers the best route and price.  Do you have any thought?  

Hawaii is a good stopover, if you want to break your long journey.  Over the years, I've stopped over at a number of South Pacific islands, with Air NZ.  Stopovers enhance the trip, but Depend on how much leave you have.  

On another note, the cruise embarkation day 1st April is also Easter Monday. There are four days in a row of public holidays for Easter, from Good Friday to Easter Monday.  Also, the last day of the Queensland school term is the previous Thursday 28th March, so Easter is also the start of school holidays. 
So, beaches and family holiday spots may be busier, some places may be closed for the holidays, some prices may be different (public holiday surcharges in some restaurants for instance) and public transport will be running to a reduced timetable.

Just FYI for anyone making pre-cruise travel plans.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, iq6000 said:

I would recommend staying at the nearby suburb of Hamilton. It contains a range of accommodation styles. Hamilton is convenient to both the airport and the cruise terminal. It is a riverside location, and you can easily get into the city centre by bus or ferry if you want to do some pre-cruise independent touring. There are also lots of places to eat nearby in Racecourse Rd or by the river. Cruise ships used to pull up in Hamilton which was really handy, but the new cruise terminal is out at Luggage Point near the mouth of the river in an industrial area.

Delta don't fly into Brisbane. Direct flights to Brisbane from the USA are currently Qantas (from LAX) or United (from SFO). Of course there are other routes, but they involve stops between the USA and Brisbane. I guess it really depends on what you prefer. I believe that Delta flies to Sydney.

I have never flown across the Pacific myself, so I can't personally recommend any particular airline.

Thank for your response.  I appreciate the information.

20 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

Hawaii is a good stopover, if you want to break your long journey.  Over the years, I've stopped over at a number of South Pacific islands, with Air NZ.  Stopovers enhance the trip, but Depend on how much leave you have.  

Thank you for your input.  

20 hours ago, iq6000 said:

On another note, the cruise embarkation day 1st April is also Easter Monday. There are four days in a row of public holidays for Easter, from Good Friday to Easter Monday.  Also, the last day of the Queensland school term is the previous Thursday 28th March, so Easter is also the start of school holidays. 
So, beaches and family holiday spots may be busier, some places may be closed for the holidays, some prices may be different (public holiday surcharges in some restaurants for instance) and public transport will be running to a reduced timetable.

Thanks for the useful information!  It never occurred to me that Easter was involved.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/19/2023 at 6:31 PM, iq6000 said:

On 6/19/2023 at 7:56 PM, iq6000 said:

We were able to book hotels 4 star through Expedia under $150 per night but question, if school holiday should we expect kids on board?  We booked this time of year and crossing presuming no kids.

Edited by Slce123

Internet on Sunshine was quite good but we embarked in the eastern United states so can’t attest to the pacific or the Luminosa.  Did have to buy the best expensive package. And can only be on one device at a time so can’t use your cell phone no t let together.

28 minutes ago, Slce123 said:

We were able to book hotels 4 star through Expedia under $150 per night but question, if school holiday should we expect kids on board?  We booked this time of year and crossing presuming no kids.

At that time of year, public school breaks are a maximum of two weeks. In Queensland school goes back on 15th April. Other states have different dates, for instance New South Wales holidays only start when Qld go back.

Parents would need to be taking their kids out of school for at least 2 weeks to do the cruise. I don't think you would be able to guarantee no children on a cruise at any time of year though. Maybe passengers from previous repositioning cruises at the same time of year would be able to shed some light on that question.

• Like 1