Arriving or leaving?

Millieloulou

Can anyone tell me if both the Queens will arrive back at Southampton after their World Cruises at the same time,or will they  both depart on their new cruises on the 23rd April?I am sure one of our fellow followers will have the answer. All best wishes as the sun is shining here today.

3 minutes ago, NE John said:

Question from America: What does Soton refer to?  Southampton in general? 

As far as I know. Natives are Sotonians. The (not very successful) football team is Saints. The Latin name is Clausentum. 😀

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, NE John said:

Question from America: What does Soton refer to?  Southampton in general? 

The Southern Daily Echo claims to have coined the terms "Soton" and "Sotonian" as abbreviations for Southampton and Southamptonian.

Quoting from https://www.dailyecho.co.uk/heritage/8797767.the-origin-of-the-names-soton-and-sotonian-for-southampton-and-southamptonian/

"...  both were coined to describe the city and its residents by journalists at the Daily Echo, who found Southampton and Southamptonian far too long to fit easily into the newspaper’s headlines."

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

A few more details in case the OP or anyone else might be interested in doing some ship spotting on April 23rd.

According to available itineraries, QV and QM2 are both scheduled to arrive in Southampton at 6:00am. Now we can't rely on that as precise timing, but perhaps we'll be able to see both ships sailing up the Solent in the same view (in my case in the same webcam view). It's happened before.

Available itineraries show QV scheduled to depart at 4:30pm and QM2 at 5:00pm.

QM2 is scheduled to be at the Ocean Terminal and QV will be at the Mayflower Terminal. This is the last time we will see QM2 at the Ocean Terminal this year. All of her other calls for the remainder of 2023 are currently scheduled to be at the Mayflower Terminal.

April 23rd is indeed likely to be a busy day in Southampton with the megaship AIDANova (5,000+ passenger capacity) also in port that day.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bluemarble said:

The Southern Daily Echo claims to have coined the terms "Soton" and "Sotonian" as abbreviations for Southampton and Southamptonian.

Quoting from https://www.dailyecho.co.uk/heritage/8797767.the-origin-of-the-names-soton-and-sotonian-for-southampton-and-southamptonian/

"...  both were coined to describe the city and its residents by journalists at the Daily Echo, who found Southampton and Southamptonian far too long to fit easily into the newspaper’s headlines."

That could well be right. But there are quite a number of towns in England, where the name was only pronounced in full, after people saw how it was actually spelt with the arrival of the railways. So maybe people did call it Soton until the LSWR arrived. Of course, some places stood firm. Happisburgh, Norfolk, is still pronounced Haysbrah.

I've only heard of "The Southern Daily Echo" through this thread.

I used to work for a UK wide company with operations in Southampton (plus a significant operation in North America) and it was sometimes referred to as "Soton" and everyone knew what city was being discussed.

Unfortunately the business premises were in an industrial estate some distance from the port so I never had the time to look at ships on any of my visits.

48 minutes ago, D&N said:

I've only heard of "The Southern Daily Echo" through this thread.

I used to work for a UK wide company with operations in Southampton (plus a significant operation in North America) and it was sometimes referred to as "Soton" and everyone knew what city was being discussed.

Unfortunately the business premises were in an industrial estate some distance from the port so I never had the time to look at ships on any of my visits.

There is a Bournemouth Echo, and, I think, a Dorset Echo, which are siblings.