Flying in A Day Early

Got2Cruise

We decided to fly in a day early for our trip. We’re going to book at same hotel in Milan as the one Uniworld uses to keep it simple. 

Should we book it direct or go thru Uniworld? What have your experiences been? 

Several things to consider. Most of the time it's more expensive to book with the cruise line but not always. I'd check both options and see what the price difference is. Also you may give up transfers if you book independently so there's that to consider. I don't remember if Milan has an easy connection to the city from the airport - are you arriving in Malpensa, or Linate?

If you book through the cruise line you'll stay in the same room for both reservations. If you don't you'll probably be able to contact the hotel and have the two separate reservations linked. It would be a serious pain to check out in the morning (from your first reservation) and check back in later that day into the Uniworld room. We have done this previously and it's worked.

What hotel are you/they using? We were just there last June and had a great time. We stayed right near the train station in a smaller non-chain hotel. Enjoy!

• Thanks 1

Remember that cruise line hotel prices are generally per person, while the hotel's website is charging per room.

A taxi from MXP to a downtown Milan hotel runs €95 (fixed rate, based on when I last checked), but if you're staying near either the Centrale train station or Cadorna the best transfer is by train which is faster and much cheaper.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If you do decide to book on your own (Uniworld may not even offer early arrival or have transport arrangements that day), let the hotel know you are part of the Uniworld group and they can probably book you in the same room so you don't need to move.  

• Thanks 1

We've done it both ways.  It depends on your threshold for cost and ease of transition.  Once we just stayed across the street from the official hotel, as it was significantly cheaper for that one night.  

Either way, I'm a huge supporter of going a day early.  We have terrible luck crossing the Atlantic.  Our flights seem to be frequently canceled or delayed.  I'm also terrible with jet lag and really just need to sleep in that first day.

Ive found consistently that I dont sleep on the plane so by the time I get to the ship I just want to be let into my room and sleep...and usually the room wont be available for hours.

The only two times this didn't happen were the very first trip where we arrived..I want to say it was 2 days early....into Amsterdam (and the Marriott did give us a room as soon as we showed up) and my 2021 trip where I was able to grab a "sleep cube" at the Munich airport while waiting on a 4 hour connection. (and even then I laid down in the back of the bus (a different story) and took a nap on the way to the ship)

I really regret not at least getting a day hotel in Paris last year we got to the ship like...10am or something. At least they fed us...

Edited by CastleCritic
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, ljandgb said:

We've done it both ways.  It depends on your threshold for cost and ease of transition.  Once we just stayed across the street from the official hotel, as it was significantly cheaper for that one night.  

Either way, I'm a huge supporter of going a day early.  We have terrible luck crossing the Atlantic.  Our flights seem to be frequently canceled or delayed.  I'm also terrible with jet lag and really just need to sleep in that first day.

I’m at the point in my life that I’ll pay extra for convenience for sure. The official tour begins 2:00 Pm “The Last Supper” excursion. That’s kinda tight if you take a later flight. 

We usually fly in a day early when going to Europe from east coast of US.  However, for our tulip cruise next year we decided not to, because of the itinerary.  The ship stays in Amsterdam for nights 1 and 2, not sailing until the morning of day 3.  The first full day consists of an Amsterdam canal cruise and free time.  This pretty much mimics the Viking pre-cruise program in Amsterdam.  Also from the east coast of US we expect to be able to get a non-stop flight--no connections increases the odds of arriving somewhat on time (we hope........)

For those who say when they arrive in Europe they need to sleep, most experts say the quickest way to get over jet lab is to put yourself on local time in terms of meals, sleep, etc.,  When we arrive we fight as best we can to stay awake, eat an normal times, and then go to bed as close to normal time for us as possible.  Your body adapts fastest that way, according to these experts.  Once when we arrived in Iceland very very early (6 AM) we powered through until mid afternoon, then took a 90 minute catnap just before dinner.  It seemed to work out OK.

Edited by sharkster77
  • Like 1

Its not jet lag for me at least, its lack of sleep

Look at it this way.  Worst case I worked leaving day which means I was up at about 8am.

Flight1 leaves at out 7pm...let just round up and say Ive been up for 12 hours at this point.

7 more to get to London (Paris/Munich/Frankfurt)  usually 7amish local time.  19 hours, maybe I get 45min of real sleep the entire time.

2 hours or more at the airport waiting on connection 21 hours

2-3 hours there...we pushing 24 hours at this point.

and then it can be 6 hours before checkin time at your floating or physical hotel...

And then dinner isnt for 5 hours.

Its ROUGH yes I need to sleep before dinner.

Day2 Im usually mostly fine, up at 8am local time for breakfast, on the excursion by 9...were in cruise mode

Edited by CastleCritic
  • Like 1

@sharkster77 and I am sure there are a lot of choices of east coast to AMS flights.  I will have to say that in Basel we were there early and decided to find the dock for the next day. We started talking to the crew and telling them we will be on the boat the tomorrow. They invited us to go on the bus tour, and we did. The cruise was going the other way, so it wouldn’t have been our excursion. The main reason I love river cruise vacations. Much more personal experience.

• Like 2