4/9/2023 Viking River Cruise Lyon to Avignon contingency plan due to Rhone river lock strike

bletzinger

Received this today from Viking regarding our upcoming cruise. Please share advice on alternatives and reimbursement (should they be realized). Seems like if they do cancel 6 out of 8 days of sailing that they would offer more than 35% off of a future cruise. Thanks in advance for your advice.

Dear Viking Guest,

Thank you for choosing Viking for your upcoming Lyon & Provence voyage. As you are likely aware, there are labor strikes underway in France. Unfortunately, this has affected lock operations on the Rhône River, preventing ships from navigating north of Châteauneuf-du-Pape.

We hope the labor issues resolve ahead of your departure, so we are able to sail as planned. However, if we are not able to sail past the lock closure, we have developed a modified sailing schedule, as a contingency plan, to ensure you will still be able to visit all of the planned destinations along the Rhône and enjoy all the experiences on your original itinerary.

Our contingency plan for your voyage is as follows:

• If we are not able to sail past the lock closure, the ship would not be in Lyon to meet you. You would spend the first two nights of your itinerary at a Lyon Hotel and join the ship on Day 3 in Châteauneuf-du-Pape. Your excursions and scheduled meals—breakfast, lunch and dinner—would operate from the hotel until you transfer to your ship on Day 3.
    • If you arrive at Lyon Airport on Sunday, April 9, please collect your baggage and look for a Viking representative to be transferred to your hotel from the airport.
    • If you are on a Viking pre-extension in Paris, you will be transferred to your Lyon hotel.
    • If you are already in Lyon traveling independently prior to Sunday, April 9, or if you are unable to locate a Viking representative at the Lyon Airport, please proceed to the Lyon Marriott Hotel Cité Internationale.

Lyon Marriott Hotel Cité Internationale
70 Quai Charles de Gaulle

69463 Lyon, France

Tel: + 33-4-78175050

• We would then operate shore excursions from the ship until Day 6, when we would sail to Avignon and continue as originally planned.

We will continue to monitor the situation and will notify you should these itinerary modifications be required.

We recognize that, if necessary, these changes were not what you planned, and we understand that any change may be disappointing. Rest assured, our team will work to minimize the impact any changes may have on your experience.

Should we need to implement our contingency plan, you would receive a Future Cruise Voucher for 35% of your paid cruise fare, upon your return home, which could be used on any future expedition, ocean or river voyage.

Please note, should the contingency plan be necessary, some shore excursions may need to be cancelled. Any cancelled optional excursions will be refunded. (If you used a voucher or shipboard credit to book any optional excursions that might be cancelled, the amount would be added back to your account balance. If you purchased the excursion, it would be refunded to your purchasing account within 21 days.)

Despite any necessary modifications that may arise, we are confident that your experience will be enriching and filled with wonderful memories. We look forward to welcoming you on board.

Sincerely,

Viking

Our contingency plan for your voyage, if necessary, is as follows:

Day

Alternative Program

Day 1

Arrive Lyon, hotel overnight

Day 2

Operate shore excursions from Lyon hotel

Day 3

Transfer to ship in Châteauneuf-du-Pape

Day 4

Operate shore excursions from ship in Châteauneuf-du-Pape (approx. 1 hr/40 miles away)

Day 5

Operate shore excursions from ship in Châteauneuf-du-Pape (approx. 1½ hrs/80 miles away)

Day 6

Sail as scheduled

Day 7

Original program in Avignon

Day 8

Disembark

• Thanks 1

So there are no options to postpone this trip to a later time? But if the locks are still closed, you will receive 35% to put towards a different cruise?

sounds like they’ve had a lot of calls about this issue. 

Thanks for the reply. Will check with Viking today on options. 

My intent on posting was to see what forum members know or are experiencing with the strikes in France. Looks like the latest scheduled strike is 4/6 which may affect airports and apparently locks. Bought trip insurance from Viking and used AMEX plat so have some coverage.  

This is the best link I have found so far https://worldinparis.com/transport-in-france-strike-news-tips-for-traveling-to-paris Will keep an eye on this site. Maybe we will get lucky since its Easter weekend.

• Like 1

Not a fan of the idea of "have a not so good cruise and we will ask for your money again so you can have a proper cruise but we graciously reduce the cost of that one by 35 percent". It is good that you have insurance. Perhaps this site is helpful: https://www.cestlagreve.fr/

In Germany there is a (strike) peace over Easter - our strikes are of a different nature anyway - but I would not rely on France doing it that way.

Hope all goes well and you have a great experience on the Rhone river.

notamermaid

• Like 3

35% seems weak, at a minimum it should be 35% and bus trip or money back/100% credit no questions asked and cancel/postpone.

Heck there was an...incident...with a virgin cruise ship in Miami first of the week that required a return to port and they gave everyone 100% credit and are still doing a modified cruise...It seems that again that viking is behind on customer care here.

Personal experience is minimal, I was in Paris 5/1 last year and riots/protests closed half the city off to us (never saw the Arc de Triomph) we didnt get anything for that but we did do the other half (Eiffel Tower (outside) saw the outside of Notre Dam). and then we left a bit early because of traffic lines in the locks due to same.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, SonomaMountain said:

We paid so much money to be on a bus tour. I hope Viking comes up with a better plan since they have had several weeks to work on this.

Hope Viking comes thru and you have a great trip. After coming back recently from an amazing bus tour they can be as expensive as a river cruise these days. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, NantahalaCruiser said:

Shame they cannot use two ships and change from one to the other as they often do when water levels affect sailing throughout the Rhine, Main and Danube.  Perhaps, they do not have multiple ships on the Rhone.

All four ships were in Avignon when this all started, and they were unable to get two to Lyon.  So all four ships are still in Avignon.

We were on one of the first affected Rhone cruises. In our experience, protests in Lyon seemed well-planned and not too much of a hassle to navigate around. The three things I would keep an eye on are as follows:

1) The locks have been closed since the 16th. Viking has four (I believe) ships south of the closed locks, and can only travel between Arles and Chateauneuf de Pape. This looks unlikely to change before the end of the month.

2) Many gas stations were closed when we were there, due to protests at the oil refineries. This may not be an issue any longer, but if it is, I’d be concerned about Viking’s plans to bus all its Rhone passengers hundreds of miles for the next few weeks.

3) Many flights were cancelled due to safety concerns around strikes at the airport. As I mentioned on another thread, we were actually pretty satisfied with how Viking dealt with the unexpected changes. (The locks had only been closed for a few days when our cruise began, so benefit of the doubt…) However, we were extremely disappointed with how cancelled flights - booked through Viking - were dealt with. Have Viking’s emergency travel number handy. 

On 4/4/2023 at 10:31 PM, bletzinger said:

Received this today from Viking regarding our upcoming cruise. Please share advice on alternatives and reimbursement (should they be realized). Seems like if they do cancel 6 out of 8 days of sailing that they would offer more than 35% off of a future cruise. Thanks in advance for your advice.

Dear Viking Guest,

Thank you for choosing Viking for your upcoming Lyon & Provence voyage. As you are likely aware, there are labor strikes underway in France. Unfortunately, this has affected lock operations on the Rhône River, preventing ships from navigating north of Châteauneuf-du-Pape.

We hope the labor issues resolve ahead of your departure, so we are able to sail as planned. However, if we are not able to sail past the lock closure, we have developed a modified sailing schedule, as a contingency plan, to ensure you will still be able to visit all of the planned destinations along the Rhône and enjoy all the experiences on your original itinerary.

Our contingency plan for your voyage is as follows:

• If we are not able to sail past the lock closure, the ship would not be in Lyon to meet you. You would spend the first two nights of your itinerary at a Lyon Hotel and join the ship on Day 3 in Châteauneuf-du-Pape. Your excursions and scheduled meals—breakfast, lunch and dinner—would operate from the hotel until you transfer to your ship on Day 3.
    • If you arrive at Lyon Airport on Sunday, April 9, please collect your baggage and look for a Viking representative to be transferred to your hotel from the airport.
    • If you are on a Viking pre-extension in Paris, you will be transferred to your Lyon hotel.
    • If you are already in Lyon traveling independently prior to Sunday, April 9, or if you are unable to locate a Viking representative at the Lyon Airport, please proceed to the Lyon Marriott Hotel Cité Internationale.

Lyon Marriott Hotel Cité Internationale
70 Quai Charles de Gaulle

69463 Lyon, France

Tel: + 33-4-78175050

• We would then operate shore excursions from the ship until Day 6, when we would sail to Avignon and continue as originally planned.

We will continue to monitor the situation and will notify you should these itinerary modifications be required.

We recognize that, if necessary, these changes were not what you planned, and we understand that any change may be disappointing. Rest assured, our team will work to minimize the impact any changes may have on your experience.

Should we need to implement our contingency plan, you would receive a Future Cruise Voucher for 35% of your paid cruise fare, upon your return home, which could be used on any future expedition, ocean or river voyage.

Please note, should the contingency plan be necessary, some shore excursions may need to be cancelled. Any cancelled optional excursions will be refunded. (If you used a voucher or shipboard credit to book any optional excursions that might be cancelled, the amount would be added back to your account balance. If you purchased the excursion, it would be refunded to your purchasing account within 21 days.)

Despite any necessary modifications that may arise, we are confident that your experience will be enriching and filled with wonderful memories. We look forward to welcoming you on board.

Sincerely,

Viking

Our contingency plan for your voyage, if necessary, is as follows:

Day

Alternative Program

Day 1

Arrive Lyon, hotel overnight

Day 2

Operate shore excursions from Lyon hotel

Day 3

Transfer to ship in Châteauneuf-du-Pape

Day 4

Operate shore excursions from ship in Châteauneuf-du-Pape (approx. 1 hr/40 miles away)

Day 5

Operate shore excursions from ship in Châteauneuf-du-Pape (approx. 1½ hrs/80 miles away)

Day 6

Sail as scheduled

Day 7

Original program in Avignon

Day 8

Disembark

I I received the same letter. We have been on the phone for days, especially after seeing the chaos on CNN all day yesterday Today’s articles were about teargas being used on citizens by the police- that along with the air traffic controllers strike, garbage collection strike, lock workers strike, and the news report about the couple from San Antonio,( google it- scary) we are quite frantic. We called travel, guard, our insurance broker for this trip, and they told us we can submit a claim, but it will take 4 to 6 weeks to find out if it has been accepted and we would be reimbursed. It’s such a big chance to take as to whether to go and sit in a hotel and possibly have excursions canceled or to file the claim and have it be rejected. Viking doesn’t seem to care 

• Like 1

Is there some way  to respond to individual commenters? I have so many concerns about this trip that we are supposed to take next week. I have tried numerous times to get Viking to give us some options to postpone or take it out a different time or even let us take a different trip next week to no avail.  This is not the trip we signed up for. Our shore excursions may be canceled completely, and we have to start our trip with three days in a hotel 15 minutes out of the city by bus. We do have travelers insurance but we can only submit a claim and it will take six weeks to be accepted or denied.  

On 4/5/2023 at 6:28 AM, bletzinger said:

My intent on posting was to see what forum members know or are experiencing with the strikes in France. Looks like the latest scheduled strike is 4/6 which may affect airports and apparently locks. Bought trip insurance from Viking and used AMEX plat so have some coverage.  

This is the best link I have found so far https://worldinparis.com/transport-in-france-strike-news-tips-for-traveling-to-paris Will keep an eye on this site. Maybe we will get lucky since its Easter weekend.

I don’t know about the Viking insurance, but our travel insurance will only allow us to submit a claim which may be denied and it to be done before we leave. I’m really upset about this.

On 4/6/2023 at 5:25 PM, rcaruso said:

All four ships were in Avignon when this all started, and they were unable to get two to Lyon.  So all four ships are still in Avignon.

Yes, if you Google “San Antonio couple stuck in France” there is a news story about this. Their trip started in Avignon and they spent the whole thing on the ship. Cargo ships were parked next to them and couldn’t get supplies unloaded. They had difficulties with every aspect of the trip. 35% discount on a future trip just doesn’t cut it.

• Like 1

On 4/5/2023 at 1:11 PM, SonomaMountain said:

We paid so much money to be on a bus tour. I hope Viking comes up with a better plan since they have had several weeks to work on this.

I know, our cruise leaves Tuesday and we have to be at the airport early on Monday so we will be traveling for two days only to end up in a hotel 15 minutes by bus out of the city Center of Lyon. Reading reviews from people who just left do not make me feel any better. If you look for the new story about the San Antonio couple who were stuck on a ship in Avignon and didn’t make any of the ports of call and we’re hassled as they went through toll booths, it’s upsetting. Apparently cargo ships cannot be unloaded and it is affecting restaurants, etc. Workers cannot get to work, garbage is everywhere and on April 13. There’s going to be another strike after Macron holds another vote. Connecting flights to Frankfurt or having your own set of problems as they are having airline strikes as well. Viking just doesn’t seem to care.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Kate4_ said:

Is there some way  to respond to individual commenters? I have so many concerns about this trip that we are supposed to take next week. I have tried numerous times to get Viking to give us some options to postpone or take it out a different time or even let us take a different trip next week to no avail.  This is not the trip we signed up for. Our shore excursions may be canceled completely, and we have to start our trip with three days in a hotel 15 minutes out of the city by bus. We do have travelers insurance but we can only submit a claim and it will take six weeks to be accepted or denied.  

We have had the same non-response, what I did learn is that they will not cancel a cruise unless a life is in danger.

On 4/5/2023 at 6:28 AM, bletzinger said:

Even if Viking were to cancel the cruise their "insurance" would not get you your money back; just a future cruise credit.  It's generally not a good idea to get your insurance through the cruise line.  They also do not get you any coverage for financial default.  Not a very likely event, but if Viking were for some reason to go bankrupt you would lose all of your money, while my third-party insurance would cover the loss.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Kate4_ said:

If you look for the new story about the San Antonio couple who were stuck on a ship in Avignon and didn’t make any of the ports of call and we’re hassled as they went through toll booths, it’s upsetting. 

Just a minor note - they weren't hassled as they were let through toll booths. As the guide clearly states in the video, they were let through for free because striking workers closed the toll booth, but not the gate. 😅 We met this couple (same boat), but apparently had a very different week than they did, given their account of their experience. That said, it's definitely not the trip you'd planned or paid for, and I don't blame anyone for looking for ways to cancel or reschedule. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NantahalaCruiser said:

Even if Viking were to cancel the cruise their "insurance" would not get you your money back; just a future cruise credit.  It's generally not a good idea to get your insurance through the cruise line.  They also do not get you any coverage for financial default.  Not a very likely event, but if Viking were for some reason to go bankrupt you would lose all of your money, while my third-party insurance would cover the loss.

I got my travel insurance through Travel Guard. We called them, and they do have a passage about streaks being a reason that you can cancel, but they will not commit and say we have to file a claim before we go, and we will know whether they accept or reject the claim in 4 to 6 weeks.  That certainly won’t help us now. Who wants to take a chance on losing all that money?  
I wonder if many people will be canceling on this week’s cruise. Friends who live in France say that it will not get better, especially since there is another vote on April 13. From what I understand, people cannot get to work and supplies cannot get where they are needed in some cases.

On 4/9/2023 at 2:06 PM, bletzinger said:

Arrived in Lyon today. Good news. The strike has "softened" and Hermod is headed our way and we are boarding tomorrow to sail. Assume the other 3 ships are moving as well

Thanks for the update. We are scheduled for this cruise in June, so I am very interested in the situation as it unfolds. Water levels! Pandemics! Strikes! Who knew that vacationing could be so complicated?