Princess Adds Coveted Opportunity to see 2024 Total Eclipse on the Emerald Princess

LACruiser88

April 5, 2023 9:30 AM EDT

Princess Cruises Adds Coveted Opportunity for Guests to Experience 2024 Total Eclipse

Emerald Princess Guests Will Be Among the Few to View Last Major Total Solar Eclipse from North America until 2044

SANTA CLARITA, Calif., April 5, 2023 /PRNewswire/ -- Princess Cruises is altering an itinerary aboard Emerald Princess in April 2024 to give guests sailing the Mexican Riviera the rare opportunity to experience a complete solar eclipse at sea.

Princes Cruises Adds Coveted Opportunity for Guests to Experience 2024 Total Eclipse  

On Monday, April 8, 2024, a total solar eclipse lasting as long as 4 minutes 28 seconds will be visible as the moon's shadow is cast across parts of the North America, and a view at sea may very well offer one of the best vantage points. The total solar eclipse is one of the three remaining worldwide this decade, and the one visible from North America until 2044.

Princess has adjusted its 15-day ocean-to-ocean Panama Canal cruise aboard Emerald Princess after selling out the 10-Day Mexican Riviera cruise with Total Solar Eclipse on Discovery Princess. During the voyage departing Los Angeles on April 5, 2024 sailing to Ft. Lauderdale into the Mexican Riviera, through the Panama Canal and across the western Caribbean, the 3,080-passenger Emerald Princess will catch the total solar eclipse on April 8 between Cabo San Lucas and Huatulco, Mexico. The itinerary also includes stops in San Juan del Sur Costa Rica, Cartagena, Grand Cayman and Ft. Lauderdale and is on sale now with starting rates of $1,699 per person.

Guests will gather on the top decks and be given special glasses they can wear to safely view the eclipse as astronomy and space exploration enthusiast Fred Cink helps guide their viewing experience. Guests will also enjoy specially-themed drinks and bites during the coveted event.

"This rare occurrence in the cosmos is sure to wow millions but only the smallest fraction will ever experience this phenomenon via the ocean aboard an amazing cruise ship," said John Padgett, president of Princess Cruises. "Princess thrives on ensuring our guests have authentic experiences that sometimes become once-in-a-lifetime moments."

Edited by LACruiser88
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• LACruiser88 changed the title to Princess Adds Coveted Opportunity to see 2024 Total Eclipse on the Emerald Princess
13 minutes ago, LACruiser88 said:

April 5, 2023 9:30 AM EDT

Princess Cruises Adds Coveted Opportunity for Guests to Experience 2024 Total Eclipse

Emerald Princess Guests Will Be Among the Few to View Last Major Total Solar Eclipse from North America until 2044

SANTA CLARITA, Calif., April 5, 2023 /PRNewswire/ -- Princess Cruises is altering an itinerary aboard Emerald Princess in April 2024 to give guests sailing the Mexican Riviera the rare opportunity to experience a complete solar eclipse at sea.

Princes Cruises Adds Coveted Opportunity for Guests to Experience 2024 Total Eclipse  

On Monday, April 8, 2024, a total solar eclipse lasting as long as 4 minutes 28 seconds will be visible as the moon's shadow is cast across parts of the North America, and a view at sea may very well offer one of the best vantage points. The total solar eclipse is one of the three remaining worldwide this decade, and the one visible from North America until 2044.

Princess has adjusted its 15-day ocean-to-ocean Panama Canal cruise aboard Emerald Princess after selling out the 10-Day Mexican Riviera cruise with Total Solar Eclipse on Discovery Princess. During the voyage departing Los Angeles on April 5, 2024 sailing to Ft. Lauderdale into the Mexican Riviera, through the Panama Canal and across the western Caribbean, the 3,080-passenger Emerald Princess will catch the total solar eclipse on April 8 between Cabo San Lucas and Huatulco, Mexico. The itinerary also includes stops in San Juan del Sur Costa Rica, Cartagena, Grand Cayman and Ft. Lauderdale and is on sale now with starting rates of $1,699 per person.

Guests will gather on the top decks and be given special glasses they can wear to safely view the eclipse as astronomy and space exploration enthusiast Fred Cink helps guide their viewing experience. Guests will also enjoy specially-themed drinks and bites during the coveted event.

"This rare occurrence in the cosmos is sure to wow millions but only the smallest fraction will ever experience this phenomenon via the ocean aboard an amazing cruise ship," said John Padgett, president of Princess Cruises. "Princess thrives on ensuring our guests have authentic experiences that sometimes become once-in-a-lifetime moments."

This cruise has been available for awhile. Must have not been selling well for them to promote it, maybe they want to get some of the wait listed people to move over to this one. 

Yep, this isn't really new news, but they're clearly just trying to drum up publicity. Credit to @help32250 for all the leg work they have done behind the scenes for months on end, talking with Princess and navigating the bureaucracy to suggest changes to the Discovery itinerary and add this option on the Emerald as well.

Edited by snoozecrooze
  • Like 4

18 minutes ago, snoozecrooze said:

Yep, this isn't really new news, but they're clearly just trying to drum up publicity. Credit to @help32250 for all the leg work they have done behind the scenes for months on end, talking with Princess and navigating the bureaucracy to suggest changes to the Discovery itinerary and add this option on the Emerald as well.

Snooze ---

You are very correct in that Princess wasn't even aware of it until I discovered it at the end of last year and finally got them to include it just over 2 months ago.  But they are a big business and lots of people need to be nodding their heads in the same direction in order to get things approved.  But like the guy in "The A Team" ... I love it when a plan comes together.

--- help32250

PS I love your moniker ....

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

Saw this opportunity while scrolling news this evening.

Sailing coincides with a Big Birthday for me, and I went to book immediately. While choosing between an Interior or a Balcony (traveling solo so it’s a legit question), the screen glitched and upon return the pricing is no longer available - - for any cabin. 

I expect to find substantially increased pricing when the screen returns ☹️

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Mary loves to travel said:

@LACruiser88

thanks for posting this!     b/c of you, we were able to snag a nice mini yesterday afternoon.   By this morning, half again were gone; a few hours later, and minis are only on Guarantee.

Whew!

Mary

De nada, enjoy your cruise!

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Ellipooh said:

Saw this opportunity while scrolling news this evening.

Sailing coincides with a Big Birthday for me, and I went to book immediately. While choosing between an Interior or a Balcony (traveling solo so it’s a legit question), the screen glitched and upon return the pricing is no longer available - - for any cabin. 

I expect to find substantially increased pricing when the screen returns ☹️

Happy Birthday and enjoy your balcony! We’re excited and looking forward to this cruise too. I can’t believe how fast the ship has filled up once it was advertised. I already booked four excursions, I’m done and ready 😀

• Like 3

You all probably by now that I affected Princess' Discovery and Emerald's 2024 voyages to include witnessing the TSE At Sea on April 8, 2024.  But for whatever reason Princess did not want to do a Press Release until I pressed them to do that too.  And I'm sure all of you saw their April 5th announcement.  It has lit up the web and even the TV media.

Bookings are going crazy!  As of last night my analysis shows that there are only 114 Balcony and 20 Premium Balcony stateroom left (not counting any that Princess may have reserved for its "guaranteed" bookings).  My analysis also indicated that there are a few over 325 Interior and Ocean View (obstructed) staterooms too.  So if you want to get other friends and family on The Emerald, you'd better act immediately.  In fact, Princess' website on bookings for it is currently "not available".  My guess is that they will be increasing prices.

So if you are either on The Emerald's or Discovery's sailings, you have hit the sweet spot on them and your cruise will be a lot of fun.  I'm just glad I brought Princess to their senses on it.  And I will be enjoying it too ....

--- help32250

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Wow, that sounds amazing!  Luckily for me, I'll just have to go into my backyard to see it.  Being in Cleveland, the path of totality passes right over my house.  So I'll have to remember to **not** book a cruise for that day lol.Total Solar Eclipse - April 8, 2024 - USA Map

Edited by pompeii
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, help32250 said:

You all probably by now that I affected Princess' Discovery and Emerald's 2024 voyages to include witnessing the TSE At Sea on April 8, 2024.  But for whatever reason Princess did not want to do a Press Release until I pressed them to do that too.  And I'm sure all of you saw their April 5th announcement.  It has lit up the web and even the TV media.

Bookings are going crazy!  As of last night my analysis shows that there are only 114 Balcony and 20 Premium Balcony stateroom left (not counting any that Princess may have reserved for its "guaranteed" bookings).  My analysis also indicated that there are a few over 325 Interior and Ocean View (obstructed) staterooms too.  So if you want to get other friends and family on The Emerald, you'd better act immediately.  In fact, Princess' website on bookings for it is currently "not available".  My guess is that they will be increasing prices.

So if you are either on The Emerald's or Discovery's sailings, you have hit the sweet spot on them and your cruise will be a lot of fun.  I'm just glad I brought Princess to their senses on it.  And I will be enjoying it too ....

--- help32250

I’d love to know what the price was before the press release. It’s now a ridiculous price for a forward inside cabin. Canadian dollars, as that’s where I live. 

05458F88-70C4-4218-9F43-9FA390FE8E41.png

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Happiest when cruising said:

I’d love to know what the price was before the press release. It’s now a ridiculous price for a forward inside cabin. Canadian dollars, as that’s where I live. 

05458F88-70C4-4218-9F43-9FA390FE8E41.png

Tracy & Brad ---

Sorry but the only price I keep track of is mine.  But yes, they have gone up.  And I know you have me to blame (in part) for that by getting them to change the itinerary.  While they will be saving about 50 nautical miles on the new itinerary, they are going to have to push the ship a bit harder getting to Cabo so the fuel saved is probably zero.  And don't forget that transiting the Panama Canal costs Princess a lot of money.  Twenty years ago when I did it on The Sun Princess (the original one of course), and Princess spent about $250,000 US to do it!  

I booked my Balcony cabin at the start of this year, before I got them to include the TSE.  About 2 weeks ago its price went up by almost exactly 10% (but that includes their ridiculous beverage package too).

Looks like you get about $600 in on-board spending money as well as the ability to book your flights via Princess.  My experience is that the flights, for many cruises, was the most expensive part.  So don't discount that.

Were you already booked on an Interior stateroom or did you just do it? 

You may already know, but this is the last Total Solar Eclipse North America will enjoy until 2044.  The way I look at it, by that time my government will have devalued the dollar so much that the price of this cruise will seem as being extremely low.  Sorry.  I'm trying to make lemonade out of what you most likely view as lemons ......

Finally, this cruise will be one that you will be telling people about forever and will be the envy of everyone you know.  And one final thing ... you will never forgive yourself if you don't do it!

--- help32250

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

I think we'll just shuffle off to Buffalo that day.

I've considered heading to Toledo, if I do anything at all.  No cruise for me, though it does sound like fun for those who are into that sort of thing.

7 hours ago, help32250 said:

Tracy & Brad ---

Sorry but the only price I keep track of is mine.  But yes, they have gone up.  And I know you have me to blame (in part) for that by getting them to change the itinerary.  While they will be saving about 50 nautical miles on the new itinerary, they are going to have to push the ship a bit harder getting to Cabo so the fuel saved is probably zero.  And don't forget that transiting the Panama Canal costs Princess a lot of money.  Twenty years ago when I did it on The Sun Princess (the original one of course), and Princess spent about $250,000 US to do it!  

I booked my Balcony cabin at the start of this year, before I got them to include the TSE.  About 2 weeks ago its price went up by almost exactly 10% (but that includes their ridiculous beverage package too).

Looks like you get about $600 in on-board spending money as well as the ability to book your flights via Princess.  My experience is that the flights, for many cruises, was the most expensive part.  So don't discount that.

Were you already booked on an Interior stateroom or did you just do it? 

You may already know, but this is the last Total Solar Eclipse North America will enjoy until 2044.  The way I look at it, by that time my government will have devalued the dollar so much that the price of this cruise will seem as being extremely low.  Sorry.  I'm trying to make lemonade out of what you most likely view as lemons ......

Finally, this cruise will be one that you will be telling people about forever and will be the envy of everyone you know.  And one final thing ... you will never forgive yourself if you don't do it!

--- help32250

Sadly, we didn’t book it. I was just checking to see if it was something I could make work. That was an inside cabin with standard pricing, at 7K which would already be pushing my vacation budget. Of course, adding on those flights and hotels would make it over 10K. That’s without any kind of bundle or adding Internet and gratuities. So, hopefully I can forgive myself. 

April 7th Update ---

The number of available Balcony staterooms is now 77 with an additional 11 in Premium Balcony.  Lots of Interior and Ocean View Obstructed staterooms though.  So stateroom availability is falling like a brick ....

---  Help32250

• Like 2

On 4/5/2023 at 9:06 AM, marne-c said:

Thirteen months later, someone at Princess listened to my plea.

--Marne

Marne ---

Don't feel too bad about it.  My first formal letter to Princess was on Sept 8, 2017 ... and I never stopped.  I even communicated with CCL's now-retired CEO.  The turning point was when the Princess President became the Group Executive for the HAL Group.  She told a Director-level Exec in Santa Clarita to handle it for her and, after hours and hours of phone calls, eMails, and CFO/MBA level justification, I made not only The Discovery but the inclusion of the TSE on The Emerald happen.  LOTS more to it than that.  But that's the short story.

I estimate that you are only about an hour flight from Panama City.  So will you be on The Emerald or Discovery?  Probably The Discovery.  The  Panama Canal for you would be like me going to Disneyland.

--- help32250

• Like 1

@help32250  Thanks indeed for your really long involvement on this!!!

You are correct about an hour flight to Panama City (nuanced as 35 minutes of actual flight time, but 1hr scheduling).  

And it’s the Emerald:  The Panama Canal is amazing, even for rmultiple-time repeat visitors.  (Ditto that for Disneyland, and I used to be a ‘cast member’ there…)

—Marne

Edited by marne-c
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just took the plunge and booked a rather pricey balcony cabin on the Emerald.  Looked for the Discovery but it is sold out.  Visited the Panama Canal (old locks) many years ago on the new, at the time, Sun Princess with our then kindergarten son.  It will be exciting to see the new locks, and the total eclipse of the sun of course!  Thank you Marne-c and help32550 for your work on getting this done.

Now off to tell the DW what I just did! LOL

Bill

Edited by ssawjo
  • Like 2