Earliest flight time at end of cruise

jean163

We are arriving 6 am in NY in August.  Would a noon flight be possible?  Does Oceania have a policy about the earliest flight they will allow?  We haven't arranged transport to the airport as yet but presumably taxi or Uber would be the fastest.  Not sure yet whether it will be JFK or LGA.

8 minutes ago, jean163 said:

We are arriving 6 am in NY in August.  Would a noon flight be possible?  Does Oceania have a policy about the earliest flight they will allow?  We haven't arranged transport to the airport as yet but presumably taxi or Uber would be the fastest.  Not sure yet whether it will be JFK or LGA.

I think you may mean that the SHIP is SCHEDULED to arrive in NYC at 6 AM. At what time you’ll actually be walking out onto the street is a whole different ball game (not to mention how difficult it will be to snag any airport transfer not already prearranged. 

That said, this type of question is often asked here on CC - usually by folks who already know the answer but are still determined to get that less expensive airfare associated with mid-morning flights.

AND, you’re asking about a place (NYC) with traffic snarls that regularly rival the 405 (Los Angeles) as well as two of the busiest airports (and TSA security lines) in the US (make that three with EWR- our preferred airport for non-stops back to SFO).

• Like 2

I would look at 1pm or later   noon at the earliest

you probably need to be there 3 hrs prior  & getting off the ship  may not begin until 8 am

Ride to airport could be 1 hr  with traffic

Then  I understand you have to go out to the street to pick up  a taxi 

We have embarked in NYC   but never disembarked

JMO

• Like 1

On  August 10, 2017, we left the Insignia around 8:45am after an Iceland to NYC cruise.  As a previous poster said, we truly just walked across the street.  We stood in a rather short (maybe 5-6 couples) taxi line and we were able to look straight at the bow of Insignia (so close she looked like a large ship) which was something we didn't expect in NYC.  We had a 12:45pm flight out of LGA.  As memory serves, it was uneventful and we arrived at the airport in plenty of time.

At this time of the summer, there could have been less traffic/activity due to workers in Manhattan being on vacation.  So, perhaps a variable you may want to consider.  We arrived on a Thursday.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jean163 said:

Does Oceania have a policy about the earliest flight they will allow?  

Oceania does have "no earlier tha xxx am/pm" recommendations for it's cruises.  Our TA got them for us from her O contact. 

• Thanks 1

I agree that it all depends on when the port authorities clear the ship for disembarkation. I would choose a flight that was a little later in the afternoon if possible but that's me because I prefer not to stress over it. 

This was my topic and thanks so much to those who gave helpful responses!  I decided it was best to just call Oceania and ask about their policy.  There is indeed a policy and recommendation in place for each port/cruise.  For mine, arriving at 6 am in NYC, the earliest recommended flight from either LGA, JFK or EWR is 11:00 am.  We weren't thinking anything before noon so that is just fine and now we know and can finalize our flights!  Confirming what's been said above I had heard from a friend that getting a taxi is just basically crossing the street and doesn't take long at all so we will plan accordingly.

• Like 2

There's what Oceania recommends and then there's what actually happens.  I booked my air through Oceania and the disembarkation time is 8 am and the flight is at 10 am.  I asked my TA if I could change the time but was told, of course, I could change but would have to pay additional for it.

Why would Oceania book me on a 10 am flight is unknown to me but they must know something I don't.

• Like 1

On 4/5/2023 at 4:04 PM, jean163 said:

This was my topic and thanks so much to those who gave helpful responses!  I decided it was best to just call Oceania and ask about their policy.  There is indeed a policy and recommendation in place for each port/cruise.  For mine, arriving at 6 am in NYC, the earliest recommended flight from either LGA, JFK or EWR is 11:00 am.  We weren't thinking anything before noon so that is just fine and now we know and can finalize our flights!  Confirming what's been said above I had heard from a friend that getting a taxi is just basically crossing the street and doesn't take long at all so we will plan accordingly.

LOL - particularly the “just walk across the street.”

we were recently on a multi-segment with changeover at SYD.

An engine issue required slowing down that morning. We arrived almost 2,hours late. 
Don’t say I didn’t warn you.

Edited by Flatbush Flyer
  • Like 1

Twice in 2019 we disembarked in NYC. Once we called an Uber (short wait, the taxi line was very long) to go to Newark/EWR.

The other time we (well, my spouse - I hung out on the sidewalk with our baggage) walked to the nearby car rental location to pick up a car - I don't think this would make sense to drive to a local airport, we were doing a 4 hour drive.

A noon departure could work but it's not a lot of space for anything going wrong. A later departure would lower the impact of any delays. Everyone has a different tolerance for risk and a different level of tolerance for longer waits at the airport.

• Like 1

Even with the best planning, there’s always room for some snafus. Last time I sailed into NYC, it was an absolutely beautiful, clear skies day.

We could see the cruise terminal from the ship, but we were not proceeding. Turns out that the currents down the Hudson River were too strong for us to maneuver. We waited a few hours and the Captain finally went for it. We ended up slamming against the pier and scrapping the side of the ship. 

Before they let us off the ship, they had to do a damage assessment. By the time we got off the ship and made it to the airport, it was close to 5:00pm

So long story short, always have a backup plan just in case. We originally had a 1:00pm flight but thankfully the airline was kind enough to rebook us on an evening flight once we told them about our predicament. 

• Like 1

On 4/5/2023 at 7:04 PM, jean163 said:

You'll be fine, I'd have no problem with a flight 6 hours after arrival. And especially since Oceania's own policy says not before 11, you'll be fine with 12 pm. Now if you were talking 9 or 10, I'd be concerned, but not 12 pm.

• Thanks 2