Good snorkel camera

I am looking for a good camera I can take snorkeling without breaking the bank so no $1500+ housings please. Someone said get an Olympus T6 with the optional housing so in case of a failure you are still covered.  What do you use and why?  thanks

If all you want to take is casual shots, consider a GoPro. The 9 series is still available and does 20mp in addition to video. Good for 10m depth limit without an auxiliary housing and has simplified controls that can be manipulated under water. The later models have more bells and whistles, but of course, cost more.

Video may be a plus as well. 

Next step would be an Olympus TG-6 waterproof. It has a 15m depth limit and an excellent reputation.

Dave

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Have you considered using your cellphone? If your phone is relatively new and has a decent camera, this thread might help:

I linked directly the priciest (but well under those $1500 housings), but most reliable-sounding option. The rest of the thread explores other suggestions to consider. 

• Thanks 1

I have the Olympus Tough T-6 with the underwater housing and really like it for snorkeling. Unfortunately though there are some duds out there - could be just a battery issue - my first was purchased from Amazon and died within one month of ownership (thankfully, at home). Started making weird noises, would not charge, everything just acting funny/broken. Sent it back. Second one purchased from Adorama is going strong. This is a somewhat big/bulky point and shoot that does not have the best quality photos compared to other cameras out there. BUT- for this application, I like it. The built in white balance / color corrections for underwater work wonders. I only lightly edit some photos with Apple photos app and they turn out well. One tip I have. If you are really into making video, this might not be the best camera. It makes very quiet little noises while operating, so if it’s in the housing…. Your underwater videos will have these noises (maybe no big deal if you delete or replace the audio). I love The Olympus underwater housing because its large controls are really easy to use.

CCC1636A-D5CD-4F70-93D5-6A50C470E493.jpeg

4377C21A-EC71-4975-95D9-66CC7570468B.jpeg

DE9700B6-4915-44F8-855F-3D462D46C2DD.jpeg

• Thanks 1

I was thinking of getting a TG6 but here is what I am frightened of (yes frightened).  That I will get a dud and ruin my card with memories already on it.  That where I purchase the camera from won't be qualified for the warranty (someone on Amazon complained of that but didn't mention which vendor they got it from-maybe even Amazon themselves).  That I will go to send it back but won't be allowed to by the usps or ups because it has a Lion battery and then be stuck with a $500.00 paperweight.  That I will have to buy lots of extra batteries and a charger that have to be oem to keep warranty in tact that will cost a lot.  That I won't be able to switch out the batteries while snorkeling each day as I am out there in the water approx 3 hours per day on a beach 7+ hours without a bucket of tap water or even running water.  If I can't clean it properly how can I change batteries in the middle of the day?  So then I won't be able to use it every time I get in the water?  Not happy that I have to invest $500.00 on camera, $277 on a housing, and then numerous funds on things like lens cap and a battery charger (which IMO should be included), batteries, a case, etc.  This will wind up being a $1000 investment that I will have to get retrofitted with new gaskets every year.  Your pictures are great (yes very nice color-not the traditionally greenish from less expensive cameras) but I go on two cruises a year and that is really the only time I get to snorkel.  Am I being overly nervous?  

I wish I could just rent a camera each time and be done with it...  In fact I wish the cruise lines would just rent them and then I wouldn't even have to pack it.  Should I just bite the bullet and take the chance?  With my luck i would get it all set up and then they would announce the arrival the the next best thing...

4 hours ago, sight-sea-er said:

Have you considered using your cellphone?

Have not considered that b/c they are older (have 2 samsungs an S8 and S10+) and not waterproof in anyway and I don't trust the "housings" they have for them.  Can't lose my info and replacing phones is more expensive than buying an underwater camera....

4 hours ago, pierces said:

If all you want to take is casual shots, consider a GoPro.

A go pro is too complex for this senior woman.  I've read too many nightmares where people who know what they are doing couldn't get the photos/videos off the card into their computers or phones.  I need something easy.  Just would like a video or 2 that I am really proud of and some great stills.  Just got back from a cruise that went to Bonaire and Curacao and the snorkeling was outstanding.  Going back next Feb. on an ABC cruise and would love a great camera.  Going on my next cruise 4/22/23 so really thinking of getting something as I can use it on the cruise and if something happens I can come home and return it.  Just a chicken to pull the punch as I've explained in a message above.  I'm really jealous of people who don't really have to think about spending $1000.00.  To me that is a big purchase and one not to be taken lightly.

I think you can be rest assured as far as Amazon goes.  If Amazon ships it, they will take it back within at least 30 days.  Whether it has lion or not.  If you get it a long ways from your trip, make sure you try it out, take pictures, try different SD cards, try charging the battery and draining it a few times.  Test it out underwater (I tested mine in our hottub, lol).  Then if you do "get a dud" (Note, my TG6 was flawless from Amazon), you can return it within 30 days and try again for another one.  I normally give them 2 tries with things I REALLY want!  BTW, I love my TG6, taken it snorkeling many times in Jamaica, and the Bahamas.  Just make sure the one you pick says that it is at least shipped by Amazon.

-gregma

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've had 3 different cameras in the TG line and they've all worked well. I purchased the TG5 for it's newer features, then lost it, so I now have the TG6. I wouldn't worry about having to return it, just watch on amazon that it is an authorized seller. Or get it at Best Buy! I have a "better" camera, but often choose the TG6 if the weather is bad or in particular for cruises, I think it is the best for food pics!

I am an experienced photographer and a comfortable snorkeler. It is not easy to get the awesome underwater pictures you sometimes see here. It is difficult to see the LCD screen through your goggles and to manage the camera if the water is even a little rough. You mentioned being a senior, and changing any of the settings is also difficult without reading glasses.

If this is an interest that you want to invest time in learning a new hobby, I think the TG6 is a great, trustworthy, sturdy camera. But you're not going to be able to hop in the ocean with it without doing some prep to get familiar with it. If you're thinking about getting the camera for 1 cruise, that's a pretty big investment if you're not going to use for other things.

Wow, though, the people that suggest using your cell phone! Way more expensive to lose that to a leak! And you mentioned ruining your card with memories already on it - memory cards are cheap - change those out every day! I use the cheaper non-OEM batteries, you'll get a charger with that.

• Thanks 1

On 4/10/2023 at 4:13 PM, bucky0926 said:

I was thinking of getting a TG6 but here is what I am frightened of (yes frightened).  That I will get a dud and ruin my card with memories already on it.  That where I purchase the camera from won't be qualified for the warranty (someone on Amazon complained of that but didn't mention which vendor they got it from-maybe even Amazon themselves).  That I will go to send it back but won't be allowed to by the usps or ups because it has a Lion battery and then be stuck with a $500.00 paperweight.  That I will have to buy lots of extra batteries and a charger that have to be oem to keep warranty in tact that will cost a lot.  That I won't be able to switch out the batteries while snorkeling each day as I am out there in the water approx 3 hours per day on a beach 7+ hours without a bucket of tap water or even running water.  If I can't clean it properly how can I change batteries in the middle of the day?  So then I won't be able to use it every time I get in the water?  Not happy that I have to invest $500.00 on camera, $277 on a housing, and then numerous funds on things like lens cap and a battery charger (which IMO should be included), batteries, a case, etc.  This will wind up being a $1000 investment that I will have to get retrofitted with new gaskets every year.  Your pictures are great (yes very nice color-not the traditionally greenish from less expensive cameras) but I go on two cruises a year and that is really the only time I get to snorkel.  Am I being overly nervous?  

I wish I could just rent a camera each time and be done with it...  In fact I wish the cruise lines would just rent them and then I wouldn't even have to pack it.  Should I just bite the bullet and take the chance?  With my luck i would get it all set up and then they would announce the arrival the the next best thing...

On 4/9/2023 at 4:49 PM, bucky0926 said:

I am looking for a good camera I can take snorkeling without breaking the bank so no $1500+ housings please. Someone said get an Olympus T6 with the optional housing so in case of a failure you are still covered.  What do you use and why?  thanks

Just remember that some of the underwater cameras including the TG series DO NOT FLOAT.  This means that if you let go of it underwater they sink.  I bought a positive buoyancy strap for mine.  Test whatever you buy at home in the bathtub before you leave.  https://www.amazon.com/Waterproof-Camera-Float-Strap-Underwater/dp/B00YR8ZNDU

DON

1 hour ago, donaldsc said:

Just remember that some of the underwater cameras including the TG series DO NOT FLOAT.  This means that if you let go of it underwater they sink.  I bought a positive buoyancy strap for mine.  Test whatever you buy at home in the bathtub before you leave.  https://www.amazon.com/Waterproof-Camera-Float-Strap-Underwater/dp/B00YR8ZNDU

DON

So if I get a housing for the T6 I think it will sink.  After all with the housing and the camera I don't think there is a float strap strong enough to hold up both. 

3 hours ago, bucky0926 said:

So if I get a housing for the T6 I think it will sink.  After all with the housing and the camera I don't think there is a float strap strong enough to hold up both. 

I do not know about a T6 with a housing.  However the TG by itself which is waterproof w/o the housing will sink.  I tested it w mine in the bathtub.

DON

I vote for TG6. I just purchased my second one from Amazon yesterday because I gave my old one to my friends daughter who fell in love with it on a recent trip to Virgin Gorda. It is not a top of the line expensive camera but not cheap either. It takes generally good overall pictures but the under water capability for an amateur photographer is outstanding in my opinion. I had my old one for 5 years not a single problem and I am rough. Dropped it, and used it relentlessly. It is easy to use and my friends daughter took it and got crazy good underwater shots first time. I got a wrist strap and it worked great. Stayed secure and I have a small wrist and hand. Never fell off once. Had 2 go pros hated both and returned both. Too hard to use in my opinion. My friend took one to Hawaii did not get a single good picture in my opinion and he is not a dumb guy. Tried cell phone casings they never worked well for me. So that is just my two cents. 

Edited by transam84
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, bucky0926 said:

On mine, I have two floating straps.  Works perfect

-gregma

• Thanks 1

I also recommend the TG6. I have this and had previous Olympus underwater cameras. 

You do not need an underwater housing to snorkel, it goes 50’ so even if you dive down you likely aren’t hitting 50’. There’s a wrist strap and just put it around your wrist, you should be fine.  It’s small enough you can easily hold it while snorkeling around when you aren’t taking photos.  I only use my housing when I’m scuba diving to exceed 50’. 

12 hours ago, pengu1n said:

I don't like the float strap, because it messes with my arm movement. I use a wrist strap with a slider, so it's snuggly attached to my wrist.

I must be dense because I thought the float strap was a wrist strap.  What am I missing? 

On 4/20/2023 at 4:06 PM, bucky0926 said:

I must be dense because I thought the float strap was a wrist strap.  What am I missing? 

You can get a wrist strap that has a small buoy attached so that the camera will float if the strap slips off your wrist. 
I have one from GoPro for my knock off gopro , but given my experience to date with that camera I’m seriously considering investing in an Olympus tough before my next warm weather cruise.