HMC Villas are listed as $999.99 now?!?!

missholly24

3 minutes ago, hard_eight said:

Yeah our 2nd time getting one. They were sold out but I checked daily and finally one popped up! Persistence wins!

3 minutes ago, hard_eight said:

Yeah our 2nd time getting one. They were sold out but I checked daily and finally one popped up! Persistence wins!

and before they jacked up the price.  I grabbed a cabana at half moon a couple of weeks ago. I was going to cancel and use my aarp gift cards but not for over $200 more!  Personally I think the cabanas at Roatan are a better value even at the new price.  Private area and more amenities?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, missholly24 said:

I get your point but the cruises sell out and they dont just keep raising the cost of the cruises. 

It depends on how quickly the cruises sell.  Compare a cruise in December to the same cruise in late March.  Often the one during the height of Spring Break is double what they charge for the lull between Thanksgiving and Christmas.

And every cruise has over 1000 cabins to sell, as opposed to a handful of cabanas and villas.  They can be more aggressive on the pricing on those.

• Like 1

On 4/11/2023 at 12:20 PM, cruizinisthebest said:

These price increases without a single additional perk is insane. Although Carnival knows people will rent them regardless. Not me. And it's not fake. The prices are already showing online. I have cruises booked that stop at HMC and Amber Cove. 🤬

Maybe its to pay for that ugly paint job too. Seems like they painted them all the same. LOL! Loved the Caribbean vibe they had. Must have been a deal on flat white paint. 

• Haha 2

34 minutes ago, Thenagers said:

and before they jacked up the price.  I grabbed a cabana at half moon a couple of weeks ago. I was going to cancel and use my aarp gift cards but not for over $200 more!  Personally I think the cabanas at Roatan are a better value even at the new price.  Private area and more amenities?

I've never been to Roatan!! I seriously had an addiction to HMC and the Villa (clearly 😁😋) I booked the trip around that day. Change is good. I'll get over it. Just takes me a few days. LMAO

• Like 1

On 4/10/2023 at 4:44 AM, missholly24 said:

Lol good thing its not a hut. Lol. Have you been to HMC? 

Half the purchases on vacation are “unnecessary”. 

And your statement is silly. TBH my cruise total hasn't gone up more than $400 since my 2018 price. The Villa price almost doubled in one yr. Thats my point. 

That is because the cruise lines have gone after the on board purchases first.  Royal has made similar increases on their private island.  Things like Internet and packages have increased significantly this year on various lines.  Give it time, now that the cruise lines are back near full occupancy they will be testing the pricing power on fares.

Competing travel options have also increased significantly.  ON a recent report on CNBC they reported that the average cost per night for hotel rooms in the us has increased by 64% over last year.  With increases tilted to higher price hotels and resorts.

I too was shocked by the price increase.  I just booked a cruise and went to book a cabana for the 4 of us, and couldn't believe that it's now $700!

Now I'm thinking I might book a villa and then try to find 4 or 6 others to join and split the cost (our cruise isn't until December, so there's time)

My understanding is that with Carnival, if you purchase a villa or cabana, it is fully refundable if you cancel before the cruise - is that correct?  Thus, it's a no lose situation if you end up cancelling, with the exception being that you have to pay up front for it.

One other question about a villa - my understanding is that it gives you priority for the tender.  Is that just for the person that purchases it, or do you list the names of the other guests and they also get priority for the tender? 

Also, it claims there is a surcharge for more than 8 people - how do they know if you have 2 extra people that didn't pay the surcharge?  Do they have a guard at the door demanding to see your papers before you can enter?

On 4/10/2023 at 12:03 PM, jcearth said:

I have gotten villas 4 or 5 times in the past.  They were a great investment at $499 split a few ways, and still pretty good at $599. I balked at $649 but still went ahead and rented (had others pitch in, so still thought value was ok). $999 would be a deal breaker for me, however.  

Here is my question - how do you define maximizing revenue?  Even if the company still sold all of the Villas and Cabanas and the new rate, how many customers are alienated by the inflated pricing?  What value does Carnival place on repeat business? What value do they place on the customer experience?  

I would argue that raising prices on optional items could do way more harm than good, by leading to a reduction in repeat business.  I, for one, would take my vacation dollars elsewhere if I didn't feel that I was getting enough value for my money. Just my opinion.

Well said...

Never gotten a villa, but done a cabana many times.

I always thought it was an extravagant expense at $199 or $299 but it made DW's cruise every time.

I think even she would balk at these new prices.

I want you guys to imagine a time when a 7 night cruise on Celebration visits Nassau, HMC (once the pier is built), Amber Cove and the new Grand Bahama complex. In that instance, Carnival captures well over 90% of most everyone's total vacation dollars on its biggest ship doing its 'family vacation special'.   That's the future for the two biggest mass market cruise lines. Carnival and Royal will do it slightly differently in that Royal will build bigger/fancier and make you pay significantly more.  Think of that as a Target vs. Walmart decision picking on the moniker used for our favorite line.  

Now contrast that from our early days of cruising.... Destiny for 7 nights out of San Juan and down the islands; Miracle for 8 from Fort Lauderdale with ports of St. Maarten, St. Lucia, and St. Kitts; and Freedom from Ft. Lauderdale for 8 to Cozumel, Costa Rica and Colon, Pamana.

It's literally a different product/vacation except for the fact that an ocean going ship is involved, right?  Now Carnival will still provide some more exotic itineraries and the corporation will still have other lines (HAL/Princess) that will regularly provide those, many even on ships near or below 100k tons.  But talk about an evolution of the overall business model, eh?  It's called progress, I suppose. Not necessarily complaining; just observing. Sail on.

• Like 3

Apparently the over water bungalows at Mahogany Bay (listed as "VIP Private Oasis Bungalow")  are underpriced as I've never been able to grab one of those before they sold out.  Even my cruise booked for December is already sold out (priced at $399 for 2 people).  I agree that maybe the solution is to build more as there is clearly demand.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, csm5986142 said:

Apparently the over water bungalows at Mahogany Bay (listed as "VIP Private Oasis Bungalow")  are underpriced as I've never been able to grab one of those before they sold out.  Even my cruise booked for December is already sold out (priced at $399 for 2 people).  I agree that maybe the solution is to build more as there is clearly demand.

I don't think this is carnival owned though. It includes a 40 min drive to Turquoise Bay Dive & Beach Resort.

The Cabanas at Mahigany bay, which are carnival owned, went up a lot in the last couple months. 

2 hours ago, PrincessArlena'sDad said:

I don't think this is carnival owned though. It includes a 40 min drive to Turquoise Bay Dive & Beach Resort.

Oh thank you (I totally missed that).  I wondered why this one included open bar and lunch (that explains it).  

• Like 1

I'm not sure what some people are thinking about private islands. The motivation for a cruise line to go to the expense is to hold passengers hostage. It is true that not all are actually "islands" and you can escape via a private tour, but there are risks. Traffic can get EXTREMELY backed up on Roatan, for example, especially around construction zones. And then you actually have to do some work to arrange.

6 hours ago, Cruising_Addict said:

I mean, it's the Villa.  Not a cabana.  It's meant to be shared by a lot of people, and you split the cost.  If it's just you and your significant other and/or kids, then just book a cabana.

I dont think its meant to be shared at all. The front deck seating is only two chaise lounges and the dining table has 4 chairs. I don't travel in large groups. Our family of 4 enjoyed the hell out of them for the last 10 years. I did some research and HAL actually still has them for normal price so thats cool. Ships look a little boring though but price of cruise was the same. Going to venture out. I love Royal Caribbean as well. 

And Im watching closely. There are still 3 Villas left and 10 Cabanas. I'm curious to see how fast they sell out. lol.

Edited by missholly24

3 minutes ago, missholly24 said:

And Im watching closely. There are still 3 Villas left and 10 Cabanas. I'm curious to see how fast they sell out. lol.

Well, they have ten months, so I doubt they will be in a hurry to lower the price.

19 minutes ago, staceyglow said:

Well, they have ten months, so I doubt they will be in a hurry to lower the price.

Haha yes don't remind me! So far away. Lol. I just mean to see how fast they sell out. Thats pretty much doubling the price. I dont think they would lower until we are on it (if there are any left). 

Whatever floats your boat for what you like and are willing to pay!

After being to pristine beaches in the Virgin Islands with no one there and no charge for anything, HMC does nothing for me. Too crowded.

Enjoy what works for you!

41 minutes ago, missholly24 said:

I used to be annoyed when things would sell out months before the cruise. At least now, procrastinators will have a chance. And I'm sure the ship will have discretion to lower the price on the cruise, if needed.

45 minutes ago, sgttami said:

After being to pristine beaches in the Virgin Islands with no one there and no charge for anything, HMC does nothing for me. Too crowded.

It is WAY more crowded than it used to be.  There was a time when it was a Fantasy Class ship for this port and a much different vibe.  Things change.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, sgttami said:

There is no one there if you have a villa. Thats the appeal for me. Private house. Private beach. You get there an hour early. Its lovely. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, balcony bound said:

It is WAY more crowded than it used to be.  There was a time when it was a Fantasy Class ship for this port and a much different vibe.  Things change.

Agree. I dont sail on the huge ships either. That makes a difference.