Radiance Class - Noise in Junior Suites (J3, J4)?

We're considering a cruise on the Brilliance of the Seas, and we usually go with a mini/junior suite on Celebrity/Princess/HAL. I've read several reviews mentioning the noise from above, on deck 11. Since all the JS cabins are on deck 10 in this class, that is a concern. It appears to me just looking at the deck plan that the JS cabins forward of the Windjammer on deck 11 MIGHT be less noisy.

Can anyone offer their experience with a JS cabin on a Radiance class RCI ship? We usually retire around 10PM and are up at 6AM, but we spend a lot of time in the cabin or balcony and prefer a "reasonably" quiet cabin. I know that's subjective, but I welcome your comments.

Thanks.

Doug

This has come up in a number of threads, and I really don't think you'll get a consensus.  We were under the back corner of WJ on Jewel for 24 nights and barely heard anything, and what we did hear never bothered us, nor kept us from sleeping. On the other end of the spectrum, I recall one person saying their experience was so bad that they were given a second room that was empty, to use for sleeping only. 

We have a 12 night on Radiance booked for spring 24 and that is under the pool deck, so we'll see. 

The very aft cabins will be under the outdoor dining and may have less traffic/noise, especially very early and late.  Same for under the pool deck (forward of the atrium).

I think the majority of the complaints have been for those rooms directly under WJ.

I think the majority of the complaints have been for those rooms directly under WJ.

Personal experience:  Had JS beneath WJ.  Very late evening, midnight or so, we had noise from rolling carts above.  We checked it out and found our stateroom was roughly right under the galley doors toward the aft (just before you exit to the outdoor seating area).  Our guess was that staff was rolling out carts to replenish plates, etc.  Lasted for 20-30 minutes and then stopped.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RobInMN said:

This has come up in a number of threads, and I really don't think you'll get a consensus.  We were under the back corner of WJ on Jewel for 24 nights and barely heard anything, and what we did hear never bothered us, nor kept us from sleeping. On the other end of the spectrum, I recall one person saying their experience was so bad that they were given a second room that was empty, to use for sleeping only. 

We have a 12 night on Radiance booked for spring 24 and that is under the pool deck, so we'll see. 

The very aft cabins will be under the outdoor dining and may have less traffic/noise, especially very early and late.  Same for under the pool deck (forward of the atrium).

I think the majority of the complaints have been for those rooms directly under WJ.

The aft facing JS under the outdoor area of the WJ absolutely hear noise very early and late when they are cleaning the WJ.  You hear the scraping of tables and chairs when they are power washing and rearranging things.

• Like 1

Had a JS under the tiled area of the Windjammer.  We didn’t pick it, it was assigned from a guarantee. The worst twelve nights we ever had on a ship. At 3 am they were rolling carts across the tile floor above our heads. It was so bad they ended up giving us half our money back. Love the Radiance class, but I’d be careful about picking my cabin next time. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, RobInMN said:

We choose our JS on this class under the outdoor dining (as described above). 

Well, in one night (on Brilliance) the Icemachine fell off the buffet. 🌊😳... that was a noticeable bang, otherwise we had no problems. 

But: this JS are under the humps of the outdoor-WJ, sometimes there is not much sun . And, somewhere in this area (maybe only on the starboard side?) there is a ventilation for the garbagestorage. In the end of our TA there was a noticeable odour. 😷

These 'Problems' were all minor to us. I would book one of these JS anytime again!

Thanks very much for all this excellent information on the junior suites on the Radiance class. We are both "bothered" a bit by late night noises, and we probably won't risk being annoyed by picking a JS. Odd that they are all on the same deck and in what many consider a poor location, that is, without cabins above and below. That's usually something upon which we agree; must have a cabin above and below. I suppose we will look for a nice balcony cabin on another deck.....we can't afford a suite, darn it!😪

Doug

Edited by PaperSniper4

2 hours ago, PaperSniper4 said:

Thanks very much for all this excellent information on the junior suites on the Radiance class. We are both "bothered" a bit by late night noises, and we probably won't risk being annoyed by picking a JS. Odd that they are all on the same deck and in what many consider a poor location, that is, without cabins above and below. That's usually something upon which we agree; must have a cabin above and below. I suppose we will look for a nice balcony cabin on another deck.....we can't afford a suite, darn it!😪

Doug

I never understand why some of the most expensive cabins are in the worst locations. If you decide on a balcony try one on the aft, 9256 and 8168 are very popular corner afts, but I’d take any aft on either of those decks. 

Yes, I've already started looking at non-JS cabins to avoid the location under the Windjammer/Lido deck. And aft cabins are always our favorites. We have had them on RCI, CCL, Celebrity, HAL and I think Princess. I'll make note of the BotS 9256 and 8168 in case we decide to book.

We live within driving distance of New Orleans, so that is our preferred port for "just a cruise". Even though we've seen the typical western Caribbean ports dozens of times, it makes no difference to us, we like being on the ship<s>! And we like Cozumel, which is on nearly all the western Caribbean cruises. Bad news is Carnival has almost a monopoly on departures from the Gulf Coast (Mobile, NOLA). We prefer to not sail on Carnival, so that left NCL mainly, and they don't sail from NOLA until December. We prefer to sail in the Fall, like October. I was very glad to see RCI place the Brilliance in NOLA starting Fall 2024. I hope that continues.

Doug