Travel insurance

pjsportsmom

1 minute ago, pjsportsmom said:

Can anyone tell me if they have used Travelguard for there travel insurance for 

international cruise? Also if you could tell me what you think if you did use them?

We have used them twice and have policies booked for 2 future trips. We have not had to contact them for any claims but we liked the ability to customize our coverage to our needs. Also very easy to make changes if your itineraries change.

Have also used American Express where we did have a claim and they came through for us, but they offer only 3 options- not customizable. Had a less than steller experience with them for a previous trip. We spent almost 30 minutes on the phone doing changes and it turns out the person who was working with us never submitted the paperwork so we had to spend another 30-45 minutes on the phone with them to fix it.

26 minutes ago, JHLH821 said:

Asking for specific policy recommendations is not always efficacious.

What works best for me may have little to do with what is best for you.

Why not talk with a trusted travel insurance broker? We use InsureMyTrip.com. Excellent reps, no broker cost to you and their search engine (good to consult both before and after your conversation with their agent) will help you to zero in on the best coverage for you.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, pjsportsmom said:

international cruise? Also if you could tell me what you think if you did use them?

I agree with FF that Travel Insurance is not a one-size-fits-all.  Age, state residency, existing medical conditions, etc., all have an impact.  Some degree of specialization/customization is probably always required for the best price/coverage trade-offs.  I have found that calling into a rep at TripInsuranceStore.com to be the best solution for me.  That have participated in several CC Forums.  Good Luck.

I go through squaremouth.  I have purchased TinLeg, Allianz, and IMG.

We had a medical emergency in Costa Rica in June of 2022.  It took a while, but TinLeg paid in full.  Had to show proof of payment in US dollars because all the invoices were in Spanish and CR Colones.

We always purchase insurance for our international trips - hoping that it is money wasted🤪

7 minutes ago, Heartfelttraveler said:

I go through squaremouth. 

I’d never used them before (I normally use insuremytrip), but I was looking for a policy with CFAR protection (cancel for any reason) for a cruise we’re taking next year.

Squaremouth offered a policy that was literally 1/4 the cost of the cheapest policy through insuremytrip. I did read the fine print to make sure that everything that I need covered is indeed covered. 

19 hours ago, pjsportsmom said:

You'll probably get more responses if you post this on the Travel Insurance section of CC:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/499-cruisetravel-insurance/

Many of us recommend getting travel insurance from a third party (NOT the travel vendor).

And we strongly recommend www.TripInsuranceStore.com

They are a broker (no extra charge to the traveler) who use several vetted travel insurers.

We've used them for many cruises (and land trips) since discovering them here on CC almost 10 years ago.

And (unfortunately), we've had several claims, including some large ones.  Our policies through TIS have been with Travel Insured, but TIS may help you find a different insurer that is best for your particular needs/desires.

CALL them:  The fine print is just too detailed to anticipate any/every possible claim basis.  They'll help you figure out which potential issues are relevant to you (frail non-traveling family members at home?  pre-existing medical conditions? might need to cancel if junior's team makes the national play-offs?  worried about weather?).  Most coverages pay 100% cash, once a claim is submitted with receipts; a few (such as "changed mind") will pay 75% cash back.

These are not "credits" perhaps with some time limit.  Just cash back to do as you wish, when you wish.

Note that the best choice of coverages is usually available within about 10-20 days of the *first* payment (it's state-specific).  But after that, there are still good coverages until final payment.

All of our claims were paid promptly and in full.

(Caveat:  I didn't get receipts for two tips to a taxi driver!  That wasn't even worth arguing about, but I certainly get receipts for *everything* now. 🙂 )

GC

• Like 1

I have used Travelguard and were pleased. Having said that, I have usually used insuremytrip.com to compare. As it turns out I also tried squaremouth and they have better options so I went with them. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, MarkWiltonM said:

I used to use insuremytrip.com but my TA now provides travel insurance on all my cruises. 

There are so many different types of coverages.  Do you know for sure that "your TA's provided travel insurance" covers the potential issues that you specifically need?

(This could be things like serious illness/death of non-traveling family members; not everyone even has such a concern, but some do.  Is "the closest adequate hospital" for however long needed okay with you for treatment, or might you want to be moved to a better facility if appropriate? There are obviously other "conditions"...)

Obviously what matters is if it meets all of *your* potential needs!

GC

• Like 1

On 4/17/2023 at 10:29 AM, GeezerCouple said:

There are so many different types of coverages.  Do you know for sure that "your TA's provided travel insurance" covers the potential issues that you specifically need?

The insurance policy my TA provides is one that I often purchased through insuremytrip.com myself. It's called Travel Insured International through C&F. The underwriter is United States Fire Insurance. It's fairly basic but covers my needs. Benefits are below. 

It does cover cancellation and trip interruption coverage if a Family Member or business partner dies, has sickness or injury requiring medical treatment, and prevents my participation in the trip. "Family Member" is defined as: "Your or Your Traveling Companion’s legal spouse (or common-law spouse where legal), legal guardian or ward, son or daughter (adopted, foster, step or in-law), brother or sister (includes step or in-law), parent (includes step or in-law), grandparent (includes in-law), grandchild, aunt, uncle, niece or nephew or Domestic Partner."

image.thumb.png.d4665cbc376d8d98b480368c49bb2b65.png

We just had some friends do some price shopping on a Fall cruise.  O insurance $800, Travel  Guard over $900, Insuremytrip, over $1150, all per person. No matter what you do it is a challenge .Mauibabes

• Like 1

On 4/23/2023 at 5:06 PM, mauibabes said:

We just had some friends do some price shopping on a Fall cruise.  O insurance $800, Travel  Guard over $900, Insuremytrip, over $1150, all per person. No matter what you do it is a challenge .Mauibabes

the older we get the more the cost!!

• Like 3

On 4/10/2023 at 5:49 PM, pjsportsmom said:

I use them all the time

• Like 1

Also use Travel Guard. We needed to cancel a cruise after final payment for medical reasons and they paid off promptly. As abc1334 said, the older you get the more it costs.  The cost of your trip also figures in. 

Francie

• Like 1

Mark,

Does it cover preexisting conditions? Also for me the Medical and the Evacuation are way too low.  I like a minimum of $100,000 and $1,000,000 respectively. Otherwise it does seem to cover the bases. 

On 4/19/2023 at 4:23 PM, MarkWiltonM said:

The insurance policy my TA provides is one that I often purchased through insuremytrip.com myself. It's called Travel Insured International through C&F. The underwriter is United States Fire Insurance. It's fairly basic but covers my needs. Benefits are below. 

It does cover cancellation and trip interruption coverage if a Family Member or business partner dies, has sickness or injury requiring medical treatment, and prevents my participation in the trip. "Family Member" is defined as: "Your or Your Traveling Companion’s legal spouse (or common-law spouse where legal), legal guardian or ward, son or daughter (adopted, foster, step or in-law), brother or sister (includes step or in-law), parent (includes step or in-law), grandparent (includes in-law), grandchild, aunt, uncle, niece or nephew or Domestic Partner."

image.thumb.png.d4665cbc376d8d98b480368c49bb2b65.png 

On some plans you can select a higher level of medical and evacuation coverage- at a higher cost, of course!

travelguard has two levels and we purchase the more expensive one exactly for this reason- they have an option for an upgraded medical bundle with the preferred plan.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Elbig said:

Mark,

Does it cover preexisting conditions? Also for me the Medical and the Evacuation are way too low.  I like a minimum of $100,000 and $1,000,000 respectively. Otherwise it does seem to cover the bases. 

It does cover preexisting conditions, and our TA makes a point of highlighting that on our invoice. The policy also explains the details. You may be able to upgrade the medical and evacuation but I'm not sure (if it's done through the TA). When I bought this particular policy myself, it was the most affordable plan that covered my primary needs (trip cancellation, preexisting conditions, medical/evacuation). I have priced TravelGuard in the past and it was considerably more expensive so I've never purchased it. Just by looking at Insuremytrip.com you can see that prices for insurance range from affordable to quite expensive (double, triple, quadruple the least expensive plans). Unless I wanted  "cancel for any reason" for a particular trip, I always spend as little as possible on insurance. Fortunately, I've never had to file a claim in 15 years of cruising. 

I use TravelGuard.  Reason: (1) Someone answers the phone almost immediately.  That person is knowledgeable and answers questions, as opposed to other companies who put me on hold or transfer me because the person answering does not know anything and is only a receptionist.  With one company I was transferred 3 times and still did not get a good answer.  (2)  They are available 7/24 (at least when I have called).  Important when overseas, on cell with limited reception.  Need immediate contact.  (2) As others have stated, call and tell agent your travel situation, what is important to you and they can recommend a plan.  Example: I do not need to pay for rental car coverage.  Insusuremytrip.com only lists a few plans from each company.  The TravelGuard plan I chose (Travel Guard Plus) is not listed on Insuremytrip.com.  Also, my travel agent has told me to get a lot of Emergency Medical Evacuation insurance.  Years ago she had a client traveling in Mexico, and it cost over $200K to get back to California.   A personal friend required a nurse to be flown from USA to Spain to accompany him on flight home to Nevada.  Not cheap.  I go for min of $500K medica evac.  There are companies such as Medjet Assist that insure for medical evac only, but nothing else.  This is cheaper, but limited.

• Like 1