Live from the NCL Jewel May 1-15, 2023 (caution: may contain grumpiness and sarcasm.)

YVRteacher

5 hours ago, MommaK2D2 said:

@YVRteacher The Forecast is showing a good possibility of Aurora/Northern lights tonight! And a chance tomorrow as well.   Let us know if you catch any glimpses if you stay awake late enough or get up early enough!!

Thank you for this tip!  What time?

Week 2 Day 3 part 2

Seinfeld fans?  I had a big salad for late afternoon lunch.  My dad had beer and soup.  

We played Scrabble at Magnums (hello, French Raspberry!) and my dad challenged the word “tay.” I said I’d had tay berry jam before but I wasn’t willing to use precious internet minutes to confirm.  Dad only wanted to play one game so we headed up to Spinnaker to sit by a window and watch the sea lions, otters, whales, cruise ships, tugs and barges go by.  We rarely sit and look out a window and it was pretty nice.  I am getting lots of practice for retirement on this cruise, although I refuse to eat soup twice a day.  I still have all my teeth!

We tied for the win in afternoon trivia with 19/20. The question we answered incorrectly was which number on a phone has the letters GHI.  We said 3.  We said 3 the last time we had this question too.  Apparently we aren’t fast learners.  Before trivia began the bar waitress asked the Cruise Director’s staff member who was hosting trivia, Handsome Rob (his name for himself. Not my name for him) if he went off the ship today in Icy Strait Point.  He told her yes and that it was disappointing.  Everyone has a right to their opinion and perspective but this struck me since ISP is so beautiful and there is so much to do.  There is a huge crew discount for the Skyglider gondola and the crew can do tours if they choose.

The restaurants in ISP are all connected and their internet went out this afternoon.  They stopped taking orders and they ran out of the famous Bloody Mary’s with the crab legs.  Some people wanted to eat and drink off the ship and couldn’t. 

Here are a couple of photos taken a couple hours after departing from ISP.

IMG_3589.thumb.jpeg.6e9d90e15b478668751e0cfbe1f842fb.jpeg

IMG_3594.thumb.jpeg.bf3d363e4ea38a1563d7214f9418c781.jpeg
Dinner in the Garden Cafe was not delightful.  I tried to order a veggie burger and tried to ask them not to cook it on the same grill where they were cooking beef burgers but the two people at the station just didn’t understand.    They thought I wanted two veggie burgers.  I did not. Another passenger tried to explain about cross-contamination but that didn’t help.  The grill guy came out of the pantry with two frozen veggie burgers and put them right in the beefy bits on the grill. Eventually I walked away with a burgerless bun and drowned my sorrows in some mashed potatoes.  Dad was happy with soup and two desserts.

My assessment of NCL is that if you do everything the way they want you to and don’t try to deviate from what is established and expected  you will be fine.  It’s when the exceptions happen that difficulties arise.  Pre-Covid, it was easy to resolve or request.  Now it isn’t.  I’m finding it harder and harder to be a vegetarian on NCL and have met resistance a few times this week.  I am getting enough food, but I am definitely not eating enough protein.

The evening’s entertainment was the Newlywed Not So Newlywed Game and Duo Sweet Serendipity (aerialists.) These aerialists are phenomenal.  She can do things upside down on a hanging, swinging pole on a moving ship that I can’t do right side up on land. He makes a 3D cube look like liquid he spins it so fast.  They received a well-deserved standing ovation from the very appreciative audience tonight. I really like the one show per night because 8:15 is the perfect time for an evening show.  Dinner is not rushed and there is time for a before-bed beverage.  We went to Magnums after the show and chatted with some people who are also back to back and we met them on our Juneau excursion during week one.  They are from BC as well.  Of course we had drinks.

IMG_3596.thumb.jpeg.1ae6923c98b910d47a57352a9e262323.jpeg

This afternoon I heard someone complaining that the Great Outdoors isn’t outdoors enough.  The person with whom they are cruising actually agreed with them.  If you got any more outdoors the Coast Guard would be involved!

I realized today we did not get our chocolate covered strawberries this week.  We did get 12 more 1L cartons of water.  Now we have 24 cartons.  Anyone on board want some water?? Will trade for Chambord or internet minutes. 

It’s just past 11:00pm and I have a story to tell you about ISP and doing the walk to Hidden Lake.  I’m too tired to thumb type it tonight but if I forget please remind me.  It’s a doozy.

• Like 14
  • Haha 2

Tay definition, a river flowing through central Scotland into the Firth of Tay. 118 miles (190 km) long. 

(Also, it is an acronym for a chatbot created for 18- to 24- year-olds in the U.S.)  

Sorry, Dad.  

"Tayberries" (one word) are a cross between a raspberry and a blackberry

Edited by ggTexasGal
added Tayberry definition
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, YVRteacher said:

Thank you for this tip!  What time?

@YVRteacher According to NOAA, aurora  possible any time after dark, most often between 11pm and 2am but possible all the way until dawn. 
 -so glad you got to see sweet serendipity again, I think that was my favorite show!

—I’m gonna side with your dad on scrabble- originally I thought of Tay berry so thought you were good. But if that use is not correct (you said tayberries was one word).  The Tay you found in definitions would be a proper noun so would not be eligible (like the name of a person or a state would not be usable) 😂

• Like 5

7 hours ago, YVRteacher said:

Seinfeld fans?  I had a big salad for late afternoon lunch.   

Did George get credit for buying the BIG salad?

More importantly, given the whale sightings, did you see any marine biologists?

• Haha 4

12 hours ago, YVRteacher said:

We played Scrabble at Magnums (hello, French Raspberry!) and my dad challenged the word “tay.” I said I’d had tay berry jam before but I wasn’t willing to use precious internet minutes to confirm.  

I grew up on the banks of the river Tay.  The Carse of Gowrie is a great fruit growing area.  It's on the north bank of the Tay between Dundee and Perth.  The tayberry was developed by the Scottish Horticultural Research Institute at Invergowrie.  The tayberry didn't exist when I was a kid.  Mind you, your dad would agree, there's an awful lot of things now that didn't exist when we were kids.  Still, I'm sure he would welcome the fact that neither of us have to put up with nightly visits from the Luftwaffe any more.

• Like 4

Greetings! I've been reading and loving your report. Thank you for sharing. It's extra fun for me because I will be on the Jewel in September with extended family for the trip of a lifetime (first cruise for most, first time in Alaska for most, first NCL for me).

I've been researching for awhile for insight about our trip, but some info is hard to come by, so I'm really loving this current thread about our actual ship and itinerary.😍 I've gleaned so much!

Some questions:

-At the Vancouver port, where/at what point were you able to get a wheelchair for your father? My father will be renting a mobility scooter for the cruise, but they are delivering it to his stateroom (by 2pm on embarkation day), so he will need a wheelchair from the curb where we are dropped off (either via taxi or private van), all the way through customs, check in, and onto the ship. I appreciate any insight about how to increase chances of finding a wheelchair/best place to get dropped off/etc. (especially after reading all the accounts on this thread about what a mess the port is for embarkation!).

-You mentioned that a golf cart met you and your father when you got off the ship at Ward Cove. Is that a perk of being in a suite, or is a golf cart available to all passengers between the ship and the mill/busses? And did you see any similar golf carts/shuttles in Skagway or Juneau that take passengers from ship to where the main town/transportation is? (We will have one or two people who may have issues walking long distances.)

Also, I've researched online forums and videos and even contacted NCL and Ward Cove and cannot get a clear answer as to if the busses that take passengers to/from Ketchikan are accessible for people on scooters (with a lift or storage area for full-size scooter). Did you happen to notice when you were just there?

Thanks, again, for sharing all your wonderful trip details and insights. Looking forward to reading/seeing more!

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, psalm104 said:

Greetings! I've been reading and loving your report. Thank you for sharing. It's extra fun for me because I will be on the Jewel in September with extended family for the trip of a lifetime (first cruise for most, first time in Alaska for most, first NCL for me).

I've been researching for awhile for insight about our trip, but some info is hard to come by, so I'm really loving this current thread about our actual ship and itinerary.😍 I've gleaned so much!

Some questions:

-At the Vancouver port, where/at what point were you able to get a wheelchair for your father? My father will be renting a mobility scooter for the cruise, but they are delivering it to his stateroom (by 2pm on embarkation day), so he will need a wheelchair from the curb where we are dropped off (either via taxi or private van), all the way through customs, check in, and onto the ship. I appreciate any insight about how to increase chances of finding a wheelchair/best place to get dropped off/etc. (especially after reading all the accounts on this thread about what a mess the port is for embarkation!).

-You mentioned that a golf cart met you and your father when you got off the ship at Ward Cove. Is that a perk of being in a suite, or is a golf cart available to all passengers between the ship and the mill/busses? And did you see any similar golf carts/shuttles in Skagway or Juneau that take passengers from ship to where the main town/transportation is? (We will have one or two people who may have issues walking long distances.)

Also, I've researched online forums and videos and even contacted NCL and Ward Cove and cannot get a clear answer as to if the busses that take passengers to/from Ketchikan are accessible for people on scooters (with a lift or storage area for full-size scooter). Did you happen to notice when you were just there?

Thanks, again, for sharing all your wonderful trip details and insights. Looking forward to reading/seeing more!

@psalm104 your user name is perfect for the vistas you are about to encounter!  Splendor and majesty abounded and caused thankfulness as we beheld the beauty of Alaska!

I don’t have all the answers you are looking for but I have a few!

The golf cart in Ketchikan is available for all those with mobility issues to get to mill. (Not sure if it goes thru mill or just to, someone else may know. My dad skipped adventure at that port). The “shuttle”’ that I encountered in Ward Cove was just a school bus…definitely not accessible at all- BUT- not sure if other vehicles there were able to accommodate scooters or WCs. Once we got into Ketchikan I did notice that the “city” busses (north line/south line/etc) were kneeling busses which dropped a ramp. Normal bus setup inside, not sure if they allow electric scooters but assume so? I would contact them. 
      The busses in Juneau had some kneeling capability  as well? But they didn’t unfold the ramps so not sure if functioning.   Depending on where docked in Juneau- most docks you roll right off boat and into the tram area.   My dad had cruise staff take him down in a WC but then could walk short distances.   Of note, Juneau taxi does have one accessible van (ramp, WC seatbelt tie-ins). Kim is the name of the driver who has that van (owners daughter I believe)

Skagway is tiny so if electric scooter should be good just know it’s an older town with wood plank sidewalks, not sure how level or what kind of curb cuts.   The white pass Yukon railway has cars with a WC lift- I know they have to be booked when you reserve spots though- 

Will see what others have knowledge of!

• Like 3

6:01 PDT: Just checck the Jewel's webcam, Skagway at least for the moment looks very stormy.

I pray that you and Dad will have an enjoyable day.

Can not wait to hear about your Officers' Dinner.

BIG BIG BIG BIG HUGS

Love and prayers

• Like 1

On 5/9/2023 at 2:36 AM, YVRteacher said:

One of the WPYR employees was doing some safety control and I saw that her name tag said she was from Texas.   She works 6 months of the year for the WPYR and six months as a butcher in Springfield Missouri.   Her name is Ellen and she was a pleasure to chat with.  

I am so curious about Ellen. I live in Springfield and wonder where on earth she works 6 months as a Butcher!  (we aren't planning on going on the train - i do get trainsick - or I would try and find her)

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

I would sit on the West side of the train.

Agree, but I would try to stand at the back of the train car on the outdoor platform as much as possible.  Having said that, be courteous to others who would also like to enjoy that view.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, bluesea777 said:

Going up or down?

Well, the person asking the question was asking about going down.  That said, the West side is the best side going either direction, which is why I didn't answer "right side."  Make sense?

That said, they have a process that ensures that round trip train passengers get one direction on each side (West and East).

Edited by ChiefMateJRK
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

I know the departure time leaving Seward is later than most cruises, but what time do they start boarding?  We're getting into Seward the day before our cruise starts, instead of riding the train down from Anchorage the day of departure.

Loving your review so far.  Glad you're having a great time!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Nilbog said:

I know the departure time leaving Seward is later than most cruises, but what time do they start boarding?  We're getting into Seward the day before our cruise starts, instead of riding the train down from Anchorage the day of departure.

We checked in online for our May 31 cruise out of Seward (on the Spirit) and the first check in slot is 11:00-11:30 so we picked that (we're staying in Seward 2 nights pre-cruise). They stated boarding will start at "noon".

Keep these in mind that the first train arrives in Seward from Anchorage at 11:20am, the coaches arrive from Anchorage during the afternoon, and finally the NCL chartered train arrives at about 5:30ish. You might want to decide when to check-in .... once you check in and board the ship (to leave hand luggage) you should be able to leave ship to spend time in Seward before reboarding the ship 2 hours before departure.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, MommaK2D2 said:

@psalm104 your user name is perfect for the vistas you are about to encounter!  Splendor and majesty abounded and caused thankfulness as we beheld the beauty of Alaska!

😍💜💙Wonderful!!!

21 hours ago, MommaK2D2 said:

The golf cart...The “shuttle”... the “city” busses...The busses in Juneau... most docks... Juneau taxi...Skagway...The white pass Yukon railway...Will see what others have knowledge of!

Thank you so much for all of this info! Appreciate your insights and taking the time to share!🌷

• Like 2

23 hours ago, psalm104 said:

Some questions:

Hi!  We are in Ketchikan again tomorrow and I will ask and look to see if there is accessible transport. I’ll also write a longer response back to you once I return home and have internet.  Thank you for your kind comments!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Dachgraf said:

I have a question regarding the White Pass Railroad: Which side should you sit on because of the nicer panorama? We take a minibus up and the train back down.

Sit on the right side going down but also take time to go out on the platform.

Edited by YVRteacher
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Nilbog said:

People board in Seward from 10am through 7pm.

• Like 1