Live from the NCL Jewel May 1-15, 2023 (caution: may contain grumpiness and sarcasm.)

YVRteacher

15 minutes ago, YVRteacher said:

@SenatorsFan I was just googling shoes today! I need something dressier than what I have but hate wearing heels. I’m looking at the brand Chie Mihara.

I've never heard of this brand, but I do like the look of some of those flat sandals. I can't do heels any more. 

It was a dish that had shrimp, scallop and clams and it looks like it is no longer offered.  Oh dear.  First Steven leaves, then the Fruits de Mer leave.  What’s next? The Ile Flottante???

Edited by YVRteacher
  • Haha 3

But there is good news!!  Wonderful concierge Omar has transitioned to the Cruise Next department and he will be on board.  He was our concierge for the Iceland, Norway, Northern Scotland cruise and he did an exceptional job.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, YVRteacher said:

It was a dish that had shrimp, scallop and clams and it looks like it is no longer offered.  Oh dear.  First Steven leaves, then the Fruits de Mer leave.  What’s next? The Ile Flottante???

I used to love the fruits de mer also and was disappointed when they took it off as now the only lobster is the upcharge item

That said, if your Dad likes seafood , I tried the sole francaise on the Gem and it was surprisingly excellent.

Enjoy!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, goldmom said:

I used to love the fruits de mer also and was disappointed when they took it off as now the only lobster is the upcharge item

That said, if your Dad likes seafood , I tried the sole francaise on the Gem and it was surprisingly excellent.

Enjoy!

Sorry, it's actually called sole grenoblaise or something like that.  But is was really tasty!

• Like 2

12 hours ago, YVRteacher said:

@SenatorsFan I was just googling shoes today! I need something dressier than what I have but hate wearing heels. I’m looking at the brand Chie Mihara.

I have platform Crocs that are super comfy and nice with dresses. Not the ugly ones with holes, but nice ones. I’ve also recently found some really cute and comfortable Skechers.

• Like 1

I wasn't familiar with Chie Mihara, but some of those shoes are adorable! Rothy's are also a great choice as they're super comfortable, can be dressed up or down, and take up virtually no room in my suitcase. They also have non-skid rubber soles which is a plus while onboard a ship.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, YVRteacher said:

But there is good news!!  Wonderful concierge Omar has transitioned to the Cruise Next department and he will be on board.  He was our concierge for the Iceland, Norway, Northern Scotland cruise and he did an exceptional job.

Is this Concierge Omar from Peru? If so, lucky you! He was our first concierge and we really enjoyed his very dry sense of humor. It was lovely. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

Is this Concierge Omar from Peru? If so, lucky you! He was our first concierge and we really enjoyed his very dry sense of humor. It was lovely. 

I wonder if the is the same Omar who was our concierge on the Getaway in Jan 2022? He was fantastic!

• Like 2

On 4/21/2023 at 12:31 AM, YVRteacher said:

I hope you get to Alaska one day!  Being a teacher librarian is a dream job and I go to work happy and leave work happy.  Most of my students are from Syria and have experienced significant trauma so our school has incredible challenges. 

Have you read The Giver of Stars by JoJo Moyes? This novel is based on the real pack horse traveling librarians.

1443B05D-A94E-4465-AEB9-A4BC56DAF77A.jpeg.2a1c40ba1e72603ea5c6f74cac3af03c.jpeg

An incredibly awesome book!!!!

• Like 1

On 4/22/2023 at 11:07 AM, NikiPinkston said:

I always pack for DH now, too (while checking the packing list I made for him). A couple of years ago, on a Mississippi River cruise, he packed FIVE  black t-shirts so, while it made dressing easy for him, it looked like he was wearing the same t-shirt everyday! 😁

That’s how car designers dress

• Haha 2

Looks like you decided in the bearing sea crab excursion for Ketchikan !  Is that the one with octopus?  Curious as we debated that and selected the wilderness exploration and crab feast as it looked similar but with food, but we may be able to change it as we did debate.  Have you done them both, thoughts in differences?

On the matter of sandals have you tried Finn?  They have some that are almost dressy (I recommend Adana line) that I have in three colours/-pearly white, black and gold, and take on all my travels.  Great arch support and good grip. If something goes wrong with my running shoes they have enough support to wear all day (though not a good choice on hiking trails I discovered lol!) and are acceptable )to me) for dinner wear.   Good to go to the pool or walk around the ship for drinks and lounging.  Won’t slip on wet surfaces.032EA97B-2ED4-4F78-A3AD-FCAD1C484D44.thumb.jpeg.acdd9614b9e57de43107f65a3759da71.jpeg

• Like 4

For anyone spending the weekend in Vancouver before the cruise, you are in for a treat in the weather department!  If you go to a Purdy’s chocolate shop, you can get a treat in the chocolate department!  Just saying…

C1C97C86-7A1A-4532-A281-DC0F4D7DDFD2.thumb.png.b38463b266f43c3195930eb85c962408.pngE74C4166-98F2-4518-B2D9-A90FD99ABA4B.thumb.png.5c5ec1c0020784b09ff86324c8808c0c.png

We should have a slightly cloudy but not drizzly sailaway under the Lions Gate Bridge on Monday.

There’s some snow in the forecast for Alaska this week.  This Canadian girl is hoping for snow for the next two weeks in Alaska as well!

09D9EA7D-8B29-4E90-A5D2-B4C1F8E86580.thumb.jpeg.f919d32a591fc9bdf0751e803223b038.jpeg866497E0-3161-45C1-8B77-0204A8A22BF7.thumb.jpeg.f70ef049f5847fd6cbb3757355f6c9f7.jpeg

These forecasts are all in Celsius.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, NikiPinkston said:

I wasn't familiar with Chie Mihara, but some of those shoes are adorable! Rothy's are also a great choice as they're super comfortable, can be dressed up or down, and take up virtually no room in my suitcase. They also have non-skid rubber soles which is a plus while onboard a ship.

Hi Niki. Do Rothy’s have flat soles inside or are they shaped like a foot with some arch support?  I sound like an old lady! 

10 hours ago, Happycrafter123 said:

Looks like you decided in the bearing sea crab excursion for Ketchikan !  Is that the one with octopus?  Curious as we debated that and selected the wilderness exploration and crab feast as it looked similar but with food, but we may be able to change it as we did debate.  Have you done them both, thoughts in differences?

Hi. I haven’t done either.  I don’t eat crab as I’m a vegetarian. 

• Like 1

YVRteacher, as the Vancouver expert can you tell me if we can walk to the cruise pier from the Wedgewood Hotel.  We stay there for 2 nights before our cruise.  When I called them the recommended a car service but it looks walkable, even with luggage.  Thanks

10 hours ago, YVRteacher said:

Hi Niki. Do Rothy’s have flat soles inside or are they shaped like a foot with some arch support?  I sound like an old lady! 

Hi, @YVRteacher! I am on old lady! LOL The trick with Rothy's, as they are flat, is to buy a 1/2 size to a full size up and then purchase a good pair of insoles with arch support. (I wear an 8 1/2, sometimes a 9, and I buy a 9 1/2.) I have Dr. Scholl's insoles in all 4 pairs of mine and I've worn them for a full day all over town in complete comfort as they're kind of stretchy and mold to your foot. They're also environmentally friendly as they're made of recycled and renewable materials and I love that they're machine washable. They're really cute, too. The "Point" has an Audrey Hepburn vibe. Amazon has a good selection of insoles and they're inexpensive. I'm really enjoying your live! 

• Like 1