Live from the NCL Jewel May 1-15, 2023 (caution: may contain grumpiness and sarcasm.)

YVRteacher

@goldmom the priority line up for Haven guests is at the Norwegian check in counter.  At the port of Vancouver all ships use the same security line and the same customs line.  There are three ships embarking from Vancouver on Monday.  We’ll be fine once we reach the NCL desk.  I’m just worried about the line and the length of time it will take to get through security. My dad might not agree to a wheelchair but I’ll give him the option.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, YVRteacher said:

@goldmom the priority line up for Haven guests is at the Norwegian check in counter.  At the port of Vancouver all ships use the same security line and the same customs line.  There are three ships embarking from Vancouver on Monday.  We’ll be fine once we reach the NCL desk.  I’m just worried about the line and the length of time it will take to get through security. My dad might not agree to a wheelchair but I’ll give him the option.  

I understand.  Hopefully he will be fine.  Good luck and have a great cruise!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, www3traveler said:

Do not think so  Would love to sail on The Spirit.

The two ships you are considering are the same two ships I want to do.  Might try to get on the Spirit out of Vancouver for a B2B this summer.  I have 8 weeks off with no plans at the moment.  That needs fixing.  I’ll go see Omar at the Cruise Next desk and see what we come up with.

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, YVRteacher said:

The two ships you are considering are the same two ships I want to do.  Might try to get on the Spirit out of Vancouver for a B2B this summer.  I have 8 weeks off with no plans at the moment.  That needs fixing.  I’ll go see Omar at the Cruise Next desk and see what we come up with.

Please let me know what you and Omar can get worked out.

• Like 1

@YVRteacher for wheelchair assistance, this is requested through NCL. Give them a call. There’s a form to fill out. I have some mobility issues following an illness and requested assistance for my cruise in February. It was brilliant. It’s just for embarkation and disembarkation. Made life so much easier for me. I would heartily recommend it to anyone.

Enjoy your cruise. I’m looking forward to your trip report. It’s my dream to sail to Alaska one of these days! 

Laura

• Like 2

@ceilidh1 Thank you, thank you, thank you! That was the best opera ever! My friend and I both had chills.  What an incredibly mesmerizing show.  
From start to end it was an epic journey, just like being on a cruise. The waves, the ships, the captains!  The ship’s wheel that became a spinning wheel! All incredible. There was definitely an ultimate beverage package or two in that show!  It was like Pirates of Penzance without the pirate. Or Penzance. Or the very model of a modern major general. (Please tell me someone gets that reference: I had parents who took me to every Gilbert and Sullivan opera possible.)

It wouldn’t be a review from me without some griping. The woman in front of us had so much perfume I could taste it. I think she went to the ladies room at recess (I mean intermission!) and dumped the rest of the bottle all over herself. 

The man behind us got himself a little treat from the bar.  Perhaps a rum and Coke. He seemed to be enjoying it because he made yummy noises throughout the second half. Then he sloshed and clunked his ice noisily during all the poignant parts. I gave him my teacher look but it was too dark for him to see.  At one point he spilled everything on the floor but that was good because the ice cube noise stopped.

How did they make the tattoo on the Flying Dutchman’s head?

My friend had never been to the opera before and she said she was going to be talking about this for the rest of her life.  She asked me to thank you for your kindness.

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, YVRteacher said:

@ceilidh1 Thank you, thank you, thank you! That was the best opera ever! My friend and I both had chills.  What an incredibly mesmerizing show.  
From start to end it was an epic journey, just like being on a cruise. The waves, the ships, the captains!  The ship’s wheel that became a spinning wheel! All incredible. There was definitely an ultimate beverage package or two in that show!  It was like Pirates of Penzance without the pirate. Or Penzance. Or the very model of a modern major general. (Please tell me someone gets that reference: I had parents who took me to every Gilbert and Sullivan opera possible.)

It wouldn’t be a review from me without some griping. The woman in front of us had so much perfume I could taste it. I think she went to the ladies room at recess (I mean intermission!) and dumped the rest of the bottle all over herself. 

The man behind us got himself a little treat from the bar.  Perhaps a rum and Coke. He seemed to be enjoying it because he made yummy noises throughout the second half. Then he sloshed and clunked his ice noisily during all the poignant parts. I gave him my teacher look but it was too dark for him to see.  At one point he spilled everything on the floor but that was good because the ice cube noise stopped.

How did they make the tattoo on the Flying Dutchman’s head?

My friend had never been to the opera before and she said she was going to be talking about this for the rest of her life.  She asked me to thank you for your kindness.

So glad you enjoyed it! Sorry about "people" - I literally spent my evening complaining about having to "people". It can be so tough having to be nice to idiots - I often wonder if some of them have ever been out in public before. Lol

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, ceilidh1 said:

So glad you enjoyed it! Sorry about "people" - I literally spent my evening complaining about having to "people". It can be so tough having to be nice to idiots - I often wonder if some of them have ever been out in public before. Lol

My new thing is just turning to idiots and saying bless your heart with a smile. This Michigan girl loves the way the south makes their thoughts known.

• Like 2
  • Haha 7

4 minutes ago, Dachgraf said:

Is there always only one security line at Vancouver?

Always. But they do have a "fast track" lane for wheelchairs/crew/staff etc.

I would always recommend that anyone that has any difficulty walking/standing to request wheelchair assistance. Vancouver is an odd port. Bags are dropped downstairs on terminal (or sometimes ven parking lot) level. Then you go upstairs to the convention centre level to check in. Then back downstairs to terminal level for security/immigration/ship. It's a lot of walking. Often only one small elevator working. It's fine if there is one ship in port. Not so much when there are three.

Edited by ceilidh1
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Have a wonderful cruise! I always love your live reviews. For your March review on the Bliss, we were on the Gem and during this review we will be on a short getaway celebrating our anniversary on the Sky this coming weekend. 

We are also eyeing the June YVR to Seward cruise on the Spirit. We love the smaller ships that do the YVR to Seward or Seward to YVR so it will be fun to follow along hoping we can do this in June.

Happy 80th Birthday to your Dad! I hope all goes as smoothly as possible with embarkation and especially with his surprise trip.  

• Like 2

Some years ago when my Mum had not come to terms with her reduced ability to stand and walk long distances, we booked wheelchair assistance for one of us when travelling through airports. Nine times out of ten she happily took the chair as by the time we reached check-in from the carpark she was already feeling rough. On the rare occasions that she "was fine without it" we either made a persuasive judgement call or we used it knowing that the time saved was hugely beneficial to her well-being.

We didn't want to take away her autonomy but that way the decision we made earlier gave her the opportunity to make a decision based on how she felt on the day and not how she hoped she would feel.

PS love your reviews and not just because I'm a Librarian!

Edited by Muckyduckway
  • Like 2

30 minutes ago, Seas2mountains said:

Have a wonderful cruise! I always love your live reviews. For your March review on the Bliss, we were on the Gem and during this review we will be on a short getaway celebrating our anniversary on the Sky this coming weekend. 

We are also eyeing the June YVR to Seward cruise on the Spirit. We love the smaller ships that do the YVR to Seward or Seward to YVR so it will be fun to follow along hoping we can do this in June.

Happy 80th Birthday to your Dad! I hope all goes as smoothly as possible with embarkation and especially with his surprise trip.  

Thank you!  Happy Anniversary to you!  Cruising is a great way to celebrate, isn’t it?

• Like 1

21 hours ago, YVRteacher said:

Have you sailed on the Spirit before? She is a lovely ship. We went on her twice before the refurbishment and once after - the new changes really refreshed the ship, especially the bathrooms in the staterooms (that had yellow tiles previously).

The mid-week embarkation/disembarkation help reduce the number of mega ships being in the ports of call the Spirit goes .... and the Spirit's ports of call hours are longer. Valdez is a brand new port for NCL this year, and we've booked this tour Valdez Glacier and Icebergs - check this out and they sell fast. 

Spirit's aft terraces go from deck 10 (where the Spice H2O pool, hot tubs and padded loungers are) up to deck 12 where the Garden Cafe & Great Outdoors are. Prime viewing places (and also deck 13). 

Our new fave ship.

Edited by bluesea777
  • Thanks 4

36 minutes ago, YVRteacher said:

@bluesea777 I haven’t been on the Spirit.  I saw her for the first time in Alaska last summer and would love to sail on her, especially to Tahiti!  When do you cruise?

The Spirit is a wonderful small ship.  A friend of Steven's and mine boards Her in a few days as F&B.

Prayers for you and your Dad as your next adventure will soon begin.

Edited by www3traveler
Add a comment
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, YVRteacher said:

@bluesea777 I haven’t been on the Spirit.  I saw her for the first time in Alaska last summer and would love to sail on her, especially to Tahiti!  When do you cruise?

May 31st from Seward to Vancouver and we stay on ship June 7th in Vancouver to return to Seward. 

• Like 3