Live from the NCL Jewel May 1-15, 2023 (caution: may contain grumpiness and sarcasm.)

YVRteacher

Went to Costco today to buy some sunscreen. They didn’t have the kind I like but some Doritos made it into the cart.

What didn’t I buy?

These! (Price is in Canadian dollars.)

0C33555A-4219-49E7-9C5F-399B53917CDB.thumb.jpeg.a579cef8826d145e3c92c37deb9d8d8f.jpeg

I just received an email response from the Concierge Desk assuring me they would be provided.  
C82C1288-6EAA-4FA3-BB94-225175DBDA71.thumb.png.d4f53663e93597712a1e7f4532ce1363.png

The reason why I wrote to the pre-cruise Concierge Desk was to ask that all the decorative pillows be removed from the main bedroom. My dad is very easily overwhelmed and for some reason a bed with a crap ton of unnecessary pillows sets him off.  I was trying to avoid a pillow scene but they didn’t acknowledge that in their response. I always tell him to be grateful but that doesn’t help. He doesn’t like being grateful: he likes to grumble.

• Like 4
  • Haha 5

3 hours ago, YVRteacher said:

The reason why I wrote to the pre-cruise Concierge Desk was to ask that all the decorative pillows be removed from the main bedroom. My dad is very easily overwhelmed and for some reason a bed with a crap ton of unnecessary pillows sets him off.  I was trying to avoid a pillow scene but they didn’t acknowledge that in their response. I always tell him to be grateful but that doesn’t help. He doesn’t like being grateful: he likes to grumble.

Your dad is definitely my soul mate. Maybe it's a British (Welsh) thing. I, too, become overwhelmed with pillows and cushions. At home, we have a huge cuddler chair that has 6 throw cushions and the first thing my kids do when they sit is throw them to the floor. That stresses me out. But so does them sitting on them and putting their gross kid feet on them. I just like them for decoration, but no touching. 

• Like 5

That’s what my dad does! He likes only one pillow on the bed and the first thing he does when entering a hotel room or cruise ship cabin is throw the pillows on the floor. 

Then I follow behind and pick them up and put them in the closet because I can’t stand mess.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

7 hours ago, YVRteacher said:

That’s what my dad does! He likes only one pillow on the bed and the first thing he does when entering a hotel room or cruise ship cabin is throw the pillows on the floor. 

Then I follow behind and pick them up and put them in the closet because I can’t stand mess.

Maybe it's a guy thing! I throw the pillows in the floor too...then my husband yells at me and I place them in the closet. Hmm...ok, maybe it's a lazy guy thing.

• Haha 3

I don’t want to hijack your thread. 

we were on the Bliss in January and had the same experience as you. 

Thus week we are in the haven on the Jewel. It has restored my faith in cruising. The Courtyard butler is fantastic. The ship does not feel full when we go out of our comfort zone. 

And the captain has the best announcements. 

you and your dad are going to be sooo happy. 

yesterday we went to play deal or no deal. The wifi crashed halfway through and they had to refund everyone’s money. I felt like I really left a winner. 

Nancy

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, nadeki said:

Thus week we are in the haven on the Jewel. It has restored my faith in cruising. The Courtyard butler is fantastic. The ship does not feel full when we go out of our comfort zone. 

yesterday we went to play deal or no deal. The wifi crashed halfway through and they had to refund everyone’s money. I felt like I really left a winner. 

Nancy

Who is currently the Captain?

30 minutes ago, nadeki said:

Nancy

I love that you shared this! Thank you. I had a feeling the Jewel would restore my faith in NCL. For the Bliss, I still had a great vacation. Just so many things went wrong that it was evident the management was not great and the cutbacks were impacting passengers on an overly full cruise.

• Like 2

Just now, YVRteacher said:

I love that you shared this! Thank you. I had a feeling the Jewel would restore my faith in NCL. For the Bliss, I still had a great vacation. Just so many things went wrong that it was evident the management was not great and the cutbacks were impacting passengers on an overly full cruise.

My feelings exactly. This week is just do amazing. My mom and uncle are enjoying being spoiled in the haven. 

13 hours ago, YVRteacher said:

PS-I’m free for coffee or drinks this weekend…

You want to go see an opera? I can get you tickets if you're interested. I work all weekend as the show opens Saturday, but after May 7th I'm free as a bird....

• Like 1

On 4/21/2023 at 8:31 AM, YVRteacher said:

Please let me what ones you take on your upcoming cruise.  Thanks to a friend’s inspiration, I’ve started matching my books to the places I’’m cruising.

Have you read "The Great Alone" by Kristin Hannah? It's set in Alaska.

Also, since you're also from the PNW, have you read "Snow Falling on Cedars" by David Guterson? I remember I read it on a UK cruise many years ago, and it transported me to the San Juan Islands. I would literally forget where I was when I was reading it. I have read it since, and it did the same. His writing, although a bit long-winded, was magical to me.

• Like 3

I live in the general Seattle area (about one hour from the port), but I cannot convince my husband to take an Alaskan cruise. We live right by the water, and we regularly see wildlife, water, and mountains on a daily basis. Since you also live in the PNW (Vancouver, right?), do you feel like it's different enough to make it worth it?

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, sherrihall128 said:

Have you read "The Great Alone" by Kristin Hannah? It's set in Alaska.

Also, since you're also from the PNW, have you read "Snow Falling on Cedars" by David Guterson? I remember I read it on a UK cruise many years ago, and it transported me to the San Juan Islands. I would literally forget where I was when I was reading it. I have read it since, and it did the same. His writing, although a bit long-winded, was magical to me.

Yes, I’ve read them both. I love Kristin Hannah!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, sherrihall128 said:

I live in the general Seattle area (about one hour from the port), but I cannot convince my husband to take an Alaskan cruise. We live right by the water, and we regularly see wildlife, water, and mountains on a daily basis. Since you also live in the PNW (Vancouver, right?), do you feel like it's different enough to make it worth it?

Alaska is always worth it!  I go every year.  It makes me feel alive!

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, YVRteacher said:

PNW is an American term that doesn’t apply to  British Columbia.  We just say West Coast.

Haha! I guess it's all north to us. Good to know. I've only been to Vancouver once, and I've never been to Victoria (even though I'm only an hour away from the ferry as well). Vancouver was so pretty--I'd love to go again one day.

• Like 1

When we first started cruising in 2010 my dad was retired and had the time to do all the bookings, research and planning.  Since 2020 I have taken over those roles.  Cruise Critic advice paid off last week.  I had been following the prices for this cruise and saw a big price drop.  I phoned the cruise consultant I use with NCL and left a message.  Then I emailed.  The next day I phoned and emailed again.  No response. I phoned the general NCL number and the person I spoke with was amazing. Right away she said

“yes, I can help you with this.”

Today I received an email from NCL and we have a future cruise credit for $2083.  This is for May 8-15.  Unfortunately we did not get the future cruise credit for the first week (May 1-8) because the day I phoned and spoke to someone it was 13 days before the cruise and no price adjustments or future cruise credits are given within 14 days of sailing.  I didn’t know this.  Now I know.  It pays to be a smart consumer.  Note: the price difference for May 1-8 is $8000.  I’m annoyed that the NCL cruise consultant did not return my call on the Monday but there is nothing NCL can do.  

Hmmm.  I can buy a lot of shoes for $2083!

(Kidding. That money goes toward another cruise.)

PS: I will no longer be using my original NCL cruise consultant. She never did call me back!

Edited by YVRteacher
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 1