Live from the NCL Jewel May 1-15, 2023 (caution: may contain grumpiness and sarcasm.)

YVRteacher

This is a good tip I hadn’t twigged to the 14 day rule.  I’d been watching ours and it did drop about $100 each CAD but I didn’t want to risk messing anything up with all the stuff booked especially prepaid gratuities at old rate etc, so left it.  For $2k I would have followed up so thank you for heads up!   At least you have the one.  Are you already planning what you will book with it?

• Like 1

Once you are past final payment the price adjustment is in the form of a future cruise credit. It gets sent to a department at NCL for approval then an email is sent to the customer  and a future cruise credit is added to the account.  The original booking is not adjusted or tampered with at all.  

• Thanks 1

Yes! Something at Christmas.  Likely the Bliss (I know, I know!) We had the Pride of America booked but my dad felt a 6.5 hour flight would not be a good thing for him and the flight to LA for the Bliss is do-able. My preference would be the Breakaway out of New Orleans but that involves two flights and no one in their right mind would do two flights with my dad!

• Haha 8

11 hours ago, YVRteacher said:

When we first started cruising in 2010 my dad was retired and had the time to do all the bookings, research and planning.  Since 2020 I have taken over those roles.  Cruise Critic advice paid off last week.  I had been following the prices for this cruise and saw a big price drop.  I phoned the cruise consultant I use with NCL and left a message.  Then I emailed.  The next day I phoned and emailed again.  No response. I phoned the general NCL number and the person I spoke with was amazing. Right away she said

“yes, I can help you with this.”

Today I received an email from NCL and we have a future cruise credit for $2083.  This is for May 8-15.  Unfortunately we did not get the future cruise credit for the first week (May 1-8) because the day I phoned and spoke to someone it was 13 days before the cruise and no price adjustments or future cruise credits are given within 14 days of sailing.  I didn’t know this.  Now I know.  It pays to be a smart consumer.  Note: the price difference for May 1-8 is $8000.  I’m annoyed that the NCL cruise consultant did not return my call on the Monday but there is nothing NCL can do.  

Hmmm.  I can buy a lot of shoes for $2083!

(Kidding. That money goes toward another cruise.)

PS: I will no longer be using my original NCL cruise consultant. She never did call me back!

This is super-interesting, and a good thing to know. Thanks for sharing. We're also on the 5/8-15 Jewel sailing but we're now inside the 14-day window - but I will file this away for the next cruise!

I do have a question - how do you determine the price has dropped? The only way I know to do this is a mock booking on the NCL website, but that's not possible if all the cabins in a particular type are sold. Is there a pro tip for this? Thanks!

Hi @wil e coyote 

I browsed the website without signing in.  If you sign in and browse cruises, NCL sends reminder emails to complete the booking!  I suppose what I did would be the same as a mock booking in that I was looking at specific dates and cabin categories.  I know there are websites that will track prices for you but I just used NCL’s website. 

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, wil e coyote said:

This is super-interesting, and a good thing to know. Thanks for sharing. We're also on the 5/8-15 Jewel sailing but we're now inside the 14-day window - but I will file this away for the next cruise!

I do have a question - how do you determine the price has dropped? The only way I know to do this is a mock booking on the NCL website, but that's not possible if all the cabins in a particular type are sold. Is there a pro tip for this? Thanks!

I believe that they will only due a FCC if there are still cabins available in the category that you are booked. I'm sure someone will correct me if I am wrong, but that is what I have been told in the past.

5 minutes ago, YVRteacher said:

Thank you!  I promise I will post the list of officers for you. There will be a change for the second week and I’ll post that as well.  

Thank You  I would not be surprised if Remi boards a week early given the circumstances.

Heard from Steven.  He boards The Pride this weekend.

Edited by www3traveler
Add a comment

I am already very curious about your trip report.
We are going northbound from Vancouver on 29.05.2023 and are the first time in Alaska.

We hope that it works out with the flights, because there is the threat of strikes.

3 days to go and the backpack I’m taking is already packed.  In it are two birthday puzzles for my dad and a whole bunch of Purdy’s chocolates for officers and crew who have become friends.

Yesterday I went to my dad’s place to help him pack.  That wasn’t easy and it wasn’t fun.  He has become quite confused and was shocked when I told him he had to pack a passport.  We have done this cruise so many times and he is an experienced traveller. Dementia is hard. Yesterday was an “off” day which he doesn’t have often.  He didn’t want my help putting items in the suitcase but just wanted me to go through his list.  Fortunately Ketchikan is our first stop and there is the Tongass Trading Company (go upstairs!-most people don’t know there is an upstairs) if he needs anything.  

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

52 minutes ago, YVRteacher said:

3 days to go and the backpack I’m taking is already packed.  In it are two birthday puzzles for my dad and a whole bunch of Purdy’s chocolates for officers and crew who have become friends.

Yesterday I went to my dad’s place to help him pack.  That wasn’t easy and it wasn’t fun.  He has become quite confused and was shocked when I told him he had to pack a passport.  We have done this cruise so many times and he is an experienced traveller. Dementia is hard. Yesterday was an “off” day which he doesn’t have often.  He didn’t want my help putting items in the suitcase but just wanted me to go through his list.  Fortunately Ketchikan is our first stop and there is the Tongass Trading Company (go upstairs!-most people don’t know there is an upstairs) if he needs anything.  

I was just talking about you and your Dad with a friend at breakfast a few minutes ago.

BIG BIG BIG BIG HUG  I pray that you will be given the strength and courage to face what is ahead for you and Dad.

Have a wonderful cruise.

• Like 4

@www3traveler thank you for your kindness!  I talked to my dad last night and he was doing so much better than he was on Thursday.  He loves the Jewel so much and will be (mostly) fine once we are on board.  I’m worried about the line to get through security on embarkation day because waiting is such a challenge for him.  

When and where is your next cruise?

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, YVRteacher said:

@www3traveler thank you for your kindness!  I talked to my dad last night and he was doing so much better than he was on Thursday.  He loves the Jewel so much and will be (mostly) fine once we are on board.  I’m worried about the line to get through security on embarkation day because waiting is such a challenge for him.  

Probably Breakaway out of New Orleans in January.  Hopefully one before then.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, YVRteacher said:

If dad is open to the idea, request wheelchair assistance. You get fast tracked through all the lines (I worked at that port for many, many years...). 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, ceilidh1 said:

If dad is open to the idea, request wheelchair assistance. You get fast tracked through all the lines (I worked at that port for many, many years...). 

I was thinking about this too. My DH has some dementia and can be unsteady on his feet. But, for the most part he looks “normal” (whatever that is when you’re 80). We are platinum so that might help too. Things sure were simpler when we were 40. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ceilidh1 said:

I’ll ask him how he feels about this.  Where do I ask once we arrive at the port?

Just now, YVRteacher said:

I’ll ask him how he feels about this.  Where do I ask once we arrive at the port?

Assuming they are checking you in upstairs first, as soon as you get to the main hall for check in find a representative (they are all in uniform so easy to spot) and tell them you need wheelchair assistance. They will either use one of the port staff to wheel you all the way through or someone off the ship will do it. They skip all the lines so they can get through and have the wheelchairs back for the next person...If you end up downstairs first, same procedure - just find one of the shoreside reps!

• Like 3