Husband Concerned About Covid Visiting Bermuda This June

MJSailors

We have booked a June cruise on Celebrity Summit. This is the first cruise we will be taking since the Pandemic caused us to be very careful due to age(70s) and some health issues-asthma for me. We have remained healthy, if not somewhat isolated during the past three years.

We thought we would try this cruise as a trial run to future travels.

We are seasoned cruisers and this will be our 14th visit to Bermuda.

DH deals with anxiety issues.

But, he has been wanting to go on a cruise for awhile.

He thinks we may stay on the ship while in Bermuda thinking we may contract Covid while going to various places.

I would prefer to visit some of the places we have come to love on past visits to Bermuda.

I am trying to allay his concerns and try to get him to enjoy this cruise and visit.

Any insights into traveling with enjoyment while in Bermufa would be helpful and welcomed.

MJ🙋🏻‍♀️

42 minutes ago, MJSailors said:

He thinks we may stay on the ship while in Bermuda thinking we may contract Covid while going to various places.

The chances of catching Covid in Bermuda are the same as in the US. If I had any concern of catching Covid it would be on the ship. Out and about in Bermuda I am usually outdoors where catching covid is less likely. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MJSailors said:

We have booked a June cruise on Celebrity Summit. This is the first cruise we will be taking since the Pandemic caused us to be very careful due to age(70s) and some health issues-asthma for me. We have remained healthy, if not somewhat isolated during the past three years.

We thought we would try this cruise as a trial run to future travels.

We are seasoned cruisers and this will be our 14th visit to Bermuda.

DH deals with anxiety issues.

But, he has been wanting to go on a cruise for awhile.

I would prefer to visit some of the places we have come to love on past visits to Bermuda.

I am trying to allay his concerns and try to get him to enjoy this cruise and visit.

Any insights into traveling with enjoyment while in Bermufa would be helpful and welcomed.

MJ🙋🏻‍♀️

Still over 100,000 cases being reported in US, and over 1300 of us dying weekly ( as of stats from last week). Bermuda currently has , as of today, 10 infected persons and no deaths since April 1. ( They have lost 165 Bermudians.).

With your known health concerns, I think it would be a wise idea to take extra precautions. Avoiding crowded elevators, crowded venues, crowds in general. Wear a mask where necessary. Make sure covid shots are up-to-date. Ensure you have travel / medical insurance, just in case.

That would be my plan. I, too, am in my early seventies. Still enjoying life , but doing so with extra precautions. Happy cruising!!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, cruiserbear55 said:

Still over 100,000 cases being reported in US, and over 1300 of us dying weekly ( as of stats from last week). Bermuda currently has , as of today, 10 infected persons and no deaths since April 1. ( They have lost 165 Bermudians.).

With your known health concerns, I think it would be a wise idea to take extra precautions. Avoiding crowded elevators, crowded venues, crowds in general. Wear a mask where necessary. Make sure covid shots are up-to-date. Ensure you have travel / medical insurance, just in case.

That would be my plan. I, too, am in my early seventies. Still enjoying life , but doing so with extra precautions. Happy cruising!!

Thank you for your input.

MJ🙋🏻‍♀️

20 hours ago, MJSailors said:

Thank you for that input.

We are driving to Cape Kiberty,so no flights involved where sometimes people catch something even before getting on the ship.

I think what Charles was getting at is that the risk is much higher of contracting something onboard the ship than it would be in Bermuda. Ships conduct things like this at a much higher rate (look at things like norovirus) than you would be exposed to in Bermuda, which even at the height of Covid, was very well regulated in terms of preventative measures. 

And also to his point, you can spend a large portion of your time in Bermuda outside-- even most nice restaurants have nice outdoor sections and a majority of activities are outside. 

Given everything right now I think this is a very low risk trip but understand where the risk is-- I would be most careful aboard the ship where a good part of your time will be spend in close quarters with a lot of other folks inside. Bermuda itself is not the part of this trip to be most concerned about. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, princeton123211 said:

I think what Charles was getting at is that the risk is much higher of contracting something onboard the ship than it would be in Bermuda.........

That is what I meant. You said it better than I did!

Edited by Charles4515
  • Like 1