My goodness...how I would love to have this!

Iamthesea

I ran the numbers and the logistics.  I watched all of the YouTube videos.  The psychological wall was the one that stopped me - I considered how being in such a contained area with all of the gossip and cliques would be just like high school - a social state I had no interest in.  

Far better is to string some cruises together on a variety of ships with periods of home  bound solitude.  

• Like 8

30 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

...Far better is to string some cruises together on a variety of ships with periods of home  bound solitude.  

From reading the article my impression is they aren't putting all their eggs in one basket- they've secured a cabin but are keeping their house also.

I imagine that people are allowed to come and go as they please, within reason?

Is this a scenario where you are able to purchase a time-share type thing? That would help diffuse the cliques...

It is definitely not something I would do if I had their budget and situation...but each to their own.

35 minutes ago, Cruisin'allovertheworld said:

From reading the article my impression is they aren't putting all their eggs in one basket- they've secured a cabin but are keeping their house also.

Is this a scenario where you are able to purchase a time-share type thing? That would help diffuse the cliques...

It is definitely not something I would do if I had their budget and situation...but each to their own.

Exactly.  You have your primary residence, along with a vacation place where you can come and go.  Except that the vacation house moves around so that you can see many areas of the world in the luxury of your own space.  At least that's the way I look at it.  Now, if it was part of a timeshare where others are sharing that space (sleeping in my bed), that "space" would not be nearly as attractive to me.   I think it a beautiful stateroom (haven't seen the rest of the ship, or any videos), but there is no way that I would invest such a large amount of money in a stateroom that is only good "for the life of the ship!"  Interesting concept.

I wonder if the main bedroom has internal blinds?

Edited by Iamthesea

1 hour ago, Cruisin'allovertheworld said:

I was answering from my position.  We actually ran the numbers as a sincere and possible outcome for us. We could afford it and our home but, again, it was the psychological and sociological aspects that were not inviting.   Changing ships regularly acts as a hindrance to the less desirable social outcomes. 

From all of my research people who do choose this lifestyle do downsize to a condo or similar in a port city where they can “land” occasionally.

Also there would be restrictions about simple coming and going at will but I am sure that will be outlined in the lease agreement.  

I guess if you've got the money and the family is good with it, then great.  I don't, and would also miss the family, especially the little grandsons growing, so would take a pass.  I'd rather book a number of different cruises and have some variety of cabins, itineraries, staffs, etc .

• Like 2

Grandchildren and pets...well that did it for me!!! I'll have to have them come along frequently!  🙃

It's going to be hard enough leaving mine for almost a month coming up in May.

28 minutes ago, YourWorldWithBill said:

We have too many pets!

11 minutes ago, ger_77 said:

I guess if you've got the money and the family is good with it, then great.  I don't, and would also miss the family, especially the little grandsons growing, so would take a pass.  I'd rather book a number of different cruises and have some variety of cabins, itineraries, staffs, etc .

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Grandkids, pets, friends.  We have 2 vacation homes in the western NC Smoky Mountains.  We VRBO/Airbnb them.  We use them when we want by blocking out days for ourselves and when we are not there, they generate revenue.  I take the money that they generate, and we trip all we want, when we want.  For me, this is a way better option than spending $4M (plus expenses) on a ship suite.

With a $4M outlay, you have to think you want to use it enough to get your money's worth and would feel the need to be onboard all the time.

• Like 1